2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

We've ignored the skills for far too long, so if Bulaga leaves, you better sign a DL. Round one should be the best DL/OT available, whichever we don't sign in FA.

Day 2 needs to be a WR and TE or even 2 WRs. 

If we spend on ILB, TE and go into the draft needing both a RT and a DL, I'll be completely off the Gute train.

You can't tell me the last 15 years that round 1 picks are meant for the premiums and then go blow all your FA cash on non-premiums.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We've ignored the skills for far too long, so if Bulaga leaves, you better sign a DL. Round one should be the best DL/OT available, whichever we don't sign in FA.

Day 2 needs to be a WR and TE or even 2 WRs. 

If we spend on ILB, TE and go into the draft needing both a RT and a DL, I'll be completely off the Gute train.

You can't tell me the last 15 years that round 1 picks are meant for the premiums and then go blow all your FA cash on non-premiums.

With a pretty deep IDL FA class and a deep OT draft class, the obvious route if you're going that way is sign the FA DL and draft Jackson, Jones, Cleveland or whoever early with Veldheer as your safety blanket. 

Still think you have to grab a skill player (WR or TE) in FA as well. Doesn't have to be Amari Cooper or Austin Hooper, but you have to address the "receiver" positions with someone other than a rookie. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

One opinion re: Bulaga and the RT position 

I’m a lead pumper for the Veldheer and R1 tackle option;

- the tackle class is good

- Bulaga is old, injury prone, and expensive 

- the cap savings on Bulaga can be used o. A TE, LB, DL (there are options)

- long term, it helps us to get a tackle now. Say we do resign Bulaga. In 2023 Bak will be 32 and we’ll have 2 tackle question marks. We should develop a guy now from a long term standpoint 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I’m a lead pumper for the Veldheer and R1 tackle option;
- the tackle class is good
- Bulaga is old, injury prone, and expensive 
- the cap savings on Bulaga can be used o. A TE, LB, DL (there are options)
- long term, it helps us to get a tackle now. Say we do resign Bulaga. In 2023 Bak will be 32 and we’ll have 2 tackle question marks. We should develop a guy now from a long term standpoint 

Lead pumper ? Does this have something to do with a gun, maybe you want to shoot him ?
Yes the OL class is pretty good this year, but there are several needs to fill and OT need not be one of them this year.
Bulaga was pretty healthy last year, is playing very well and is still only 30 (birthday 21 March).
You can also spend cap money on a RT (that's another option).
Long term you can get a tackle now, but equally you can get one next year and use the early draft picks on DL, WR, ILB.

Basically, for each negative point there is a corresponding positive one - you can push either way, according to your preference.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

With a pretty deep IDL FA class and a deep OT draft class, the obvious route if you're going that way is sign the FA DL and draft Jackson, Jones, Cleveland or whoever early with Veldheer as your safety blanket. 

Still think you have to grab a skill player (WR or TE) in FA as well. Doesn't have to be Amari Cooper or Austin Hooper, but you have to address the "receiver" positions with someone other than a rookie. 

This!

After the tight-lipped nature of the previous regime, its kinda weird to see the Packers publicly associated with so many FA's
I'm sure most of it is just smoke, but it's still strange to read a new one every day and I'm sure Das Gute is using it to his advantage

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

After the tight-lipped nature of the previous regime, its kinda weird to see the Packers publicly associated with so many FA's
I'm sure most of it is just smoke, but it's still strange to read a new one every day and I'm sure Das Gute is using it to his advantage

He’s not a dummy. Gute is steering the media narrative. 

Some of this is assuredly substantiated but there’s no way we’ve been publicly connected to this many players (especially big name and guys who have signed in division) without some smokescreen.