2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

After hearing Gutey say that the Packers will be more reserved in Free Agency this year so that they can keep the guys they have in house and then mentioning having to look at ILB really hard -- I feel Blake is done and GB will address this position in Free Agency but outside of that our money will be spent on keeping Bulaga and wrapping up Clark long term. 

On 1/20/2020 at 10:53 AM, {Family Ghost} said:

Anybody want to try and sign Veldheer for a 1-2 year deal and let Bulaga walk?  I still don't trust that Bulaga can hold up.  Got to figure Veldheer will be cheaper than Bulaga by several million.  I'm thinking we draft an OT and another OG as well.  I could see Linsley getting pushed out and Jenkins moving in to his rightful spot at Center.  

Jenkins is a center?  I didn't know that...

On 1/20/2020 at 11:22 AM, YaddaHolla said:

Not sure going cheap is the best way to elongate Rodgers career. If that’s what you want.

MBurge has a point.  AR ain't getting any younger.  It will all depend upon what the market is for Bulaga.

Edited by Pugger

On 1/20/2020 at 12:55 PM, Bullet Club said:

Move on from Allison and Graham

Retain Veldheer

Bring back Bulaga contingent on price

Bring back Martinez contingent on price

Draft WR, IDL and ILB

I was very happy with Veldheer's play this year but he retired once.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he does so again.  It will depend upon how happy he was with the organization.   He is getting long in the tooth too but his body might not be as beat up as Bulaga's is.  OT is one position worth a highish draft pick.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Choices for me are:

1) Go young and expensive and get Jack Conklin in (if you can) -$15m per season

2) Go cheap and keep Veldheer -$5m per season

3) Keep the status quo and keep Bulaga -$10m per season

The thing I have with Bulaga is the idea of better getting rid early than a year late, especially with his injury history. 

IMO the only way we'll keep Bryan is if other teams are leery of his injury history and his market value won't break the bank.  But if another team like Detroit with Lang's situation come calling he'll be gone.

15 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

After hearing Gutey say that the Packers will be more reserved in Free Agency this year so that they can keep the guys they have in house and then mentioning having to look at ILB really hard -- I feel Blake is done and GB will address this position in Free Agency but outside of that our money will be spent on keeping Bulaga and wrapping up Clark long term. 

By default we kind of have to be more reserved. Last year we had a war chest and no major resigns on schedule. This year, assuming Bulaga gets reupped, Jimmy cut, and picks, we will have like 20m. You want about 4-5m during the season for emergency st fa deals, which brings the number that we can use to around 15. We’ll have 5-7 small minimum level resign depth deals (Ervin, Lewis?, Veldheer, random 30 year old retreads). That means we really only have space to make like one quality add in FA.

• Like 1

I wonder if we'll let Jimmy go or not. Maybe it is me but I felt he really started clicking with ARod in the post season. He had 108 yards, when considering he had 447 the whole season, that aint too shabby. I'd hate the thought we cut him and then he goes else where and puts up big numbers, or maybe I'm just being dumb here and we cut his *** and get someone in better!!!

General question for everybody:  Whats your ceiling on a new contract your willing to go with to keep Bulaga and/or Martinez?

This is supposed to be a pretty good year for offensive tackles and wide receivers in the NFL draft.  That's a much cheaper option for the club for filling holes than free agency.  With the depth in the draft at these two positions and our needs at OT, LB, DL, and WR do you fill your needs at OT and WR via the draft and look for free agents for LB and DL?

2 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

General question for everybody:  Whats your ceiling on a new contract your willing to go with to keep Bulaga and/or Martinez?

This is supposed to be a pretty good year for offensive tackles and wide receivers in the NFL draft.  That's a much cheaper option for the club for filling holes than free agency.  With the depth in the draft at these two positions and our needs at OT, LB, DL, and WR do you fill your needs at OT and WR via the draft and look for free agents for LB and DL?

Yes, but also resign Bulaga and draft a ILB. 

This draft class is well stocked with WR, so go for it! We draft at the end of each round. Drafting at the end of a round makes it hard to get the value for that round. What I mean by that is by the end of the first round, there may not be any players left with solid first round value. The way to overcome this is to draft to the strength of the draft class. What I mean by this is that it's far more likely that a WR with a solid first round grade will slip to the bottom of the first round for no other reason than there are so many of them with solid first round grades. (I said more likely, not absolutely likely, but at this point we can only speculate and play the odds). So in the likely event that a WR with a solid first round grade falls to the end of the first round, grab him! It also helps that that is a high need for us. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing in the second round, if a highly graded WR falls there too.

It may also be time to draft Bulaga's and Linsley's replacements, especially Linsley's replacement. Bulaga we may be able to put off another year, if he is resigned, but it wouldn't hurt to take a flier on a T in the middle rounds.

2 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

I wouldn't blink at a ceiling of $11m pa on Bulaga for up to 3 yrs, and $8-9m pa for Martinez. That could be enough money to re-sign Bulaga, but I think Martinez gets more elsewhere. Spotrac has his projected value at a crazy $16m pa.

For veteran FAs at LB and DL, I'd look to add one at both positions, but I'd be looking at the draft as well as FA especially at ILB and most definitely if Martinez is gone. RT would be a useful position group to upgrade, but if you have Bulaga re-signed and Veldheer as backup, you could leave that position for a year. As for WR, I think it's a given that one is taken in the first three rounds, maybe even round one. 

• Like 1