2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

5 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I wonder if we'll let Jimmy go or not. Maybe it is me but I felt he really started clicking with ARod in the post season. He had 108 yards, when considering he had 447 the whole season, that aint too shabby. I'd hate the thought we cut him and then he goes else where and puts up big numbers, or maybe I'm just being dumb here and we cut his *** and get someone in better!!!

I was thinking the same thing.  Spotrac has us with $29 and OTC has us with $32 for 2020, with Graham.  We will probably want to add 4.5 to that because Lane Taylor is not going to start, and is paid to do so. Our in-house FAs that move the needle are: Bulaga, Martinez, Crosby, Tramon, Marcedes, and maybe Fackrell.  IF we say that cutting Taylor and re-signing Crosby offset, that leaves us with ~30 (minus draft allocation) to figure out Bulaga and Kenny Clark, while retaining Graham.  

I don't think there is a person not related to Graham or his agent that likes his contract.  But there are a lot of mock drafts (and I am not singling anyone out here) that have us cutting Jimmy Graham just so we can sign two, more expensive, Tyler Lancasters.  I don't think that solves any problems that the team has.

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Spotrac has us with $29 and OTC has us with $32 for 2020, with Graham.  We will probably want to add 4.5 to that because Lane Taylor is not going to start, and is paid to do so. Our in-house FAs that move the needle are: Bulaga, Martinez, Crosby, Tramon, Marcedes, and maybe Fackrell.  IF we say that cutting Taylor and re-signing Crosby offset, that leaves us with ~30 (minus draft allocation) to figure out Bulaga and Kenny Clark, while retaining Graham.  

I don't think there is a person not related to Graham or his agent that likes his contract.  But there are a lot of mock drafts (and I am not singling anyone out here) that have us cutting Jimmy Graham just so we can sign two, more expensive, Tyler Lancasters.  I don't think that solves any problems that the team has.

Agreed.  If GB gets a strong indication that upgrades are coming via FA at other positions,  then cutting Graham frees up cap space.

3 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I'm on the please oh please do what it takes to get Kinlaw in Green Bay band wagon. I know everyone wants a WR but I want a Championship level defense that isnt going to give up 180 yards of offense before contact. 

The issue for me is that a DL doesn't guarantee you a championship calibre defense. Doesn't really matter who we sign on defense, a gap opens up from somewhere else. Last season we needed pass rushers and to sort out the safeties - we did it (big time in the case of the pass rush) and we can't defend against the run. I don't have confidence that Pettine can work his star players around the lower ceiling players so don't have confidence we will ever have an elite defence. We really should have had an elite defence this year.

Hitting on a receiver (drafting or signing one doesn't mean hitting on one of course) should in theory make the passing game so much more dangerous. With a legit number 2 that teams have to respect, teams can't key in on Adams as much and Lazard/MVS/Whoever becomes far more dangerous. Personally I have far more confidence that nailing a receiver pick can help the passing game far more than a single player would help the defense. 

I'd rather hit the offence with the premium picks and throw lots of mid to late picks as well as a free agent into the defence to fill the holes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I'm on the please oh please do what it takes to get Kinlaw in Green Bay band wagon. I know everyone wants a WR but I want a Championship level defense that isnt going to give up 180 yards of offense before contact. 

we can trade our 1st and 2nd to move up and it still won't be enough. pass. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I wonder if we'll let Jimmy go or not. Maybe it is me but I felt he really started clicking with ARod in the post season. He had 108 yards, when considering he had 447 the whole season, that aint too shabby. I'd hate the thought we cut him and then he goes else where and puts up big numbers, or maybe I'm just being dumb here and we cut his *** and get someone in better!!!

If he doesn’t restructure, he’s gone. We got his level production from Richard Rodgers. Grahm isn’t getting 8m. He might get Lewis money (2ish)

2 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

we can trade our 1st and 2nd to move up and it still won't be enough. pass. 

I get the concern here and I'm not totally being serious in the sense that this is probably true. That was just more of a love proclamation for the player and what he could bring to a team then it was an actual serious do what it takes to get him into Green Bay lol.

14 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

If he doesn’t restructure, he’s gone. We got his level production from Richard Rodgers. Grahm isn’t getting 8m. He might get Lewis money (2ish)

No one is taking a pay cut like that. Restructures almost always lower cap number more than actual pay anyway. It's just not realistic to restructure Graham for a low enough number, and it would probably also involve adding more years. He's either back on this deal or gone IMO.

36 minutes ago, spilltray said:

No one is taking a pay cut like that. Restructures almost always lower cap number more than actual pay anyway. It's just not realistic to restructure Graham for a low enough number, and it would probably also involve adding more years. He's either back on this deal or gone IMO.

Agree and just can't imagine Packers bringing him back for the amount of money he's making his last year.

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

My early FA crush is Cory Littleton. Probably too expensive to pay for an ILB but I would freaking love to see a guy in the middle like him with his range and play-making ability. We need a guy like him badly...

I just don’t see it with Littleton.  Played behind Donald.  He was undrafted.  His 40 and other measurables were slower than Blake’s...

He is a prime example of the grass being greener elsewhere and I think he bombs with us.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I just don’t see it with Littleton.  Played behind Donald.  He was undrafted.  His 40 and other measurables were slower than Blake’s...

He is a prime example of the grass being greener elsewhere and I think he bombs with us.

He's going to cost a bunch.  Think I'd rather have any of Chicago's 3 LB's at less money.

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I think we need to be prepared when Bulaga signs elsewhere. We rarely give O-linemen 3rd contacts, he's 30 years old with a plethora of injuries. I think it's similar to Lang and Sitton and he goes elsewhere.  

I am starting to lean that way as well.  

Not sure GB gives 10-12+M to Bulaga.  Certainly would be a risk in finding a replacement.