2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Going to be real interesting to see which of the folks that were pissed at Thompson for not going "All in" are going to say if we roll over 8 million this year.

Yikes.

I'm always the conservative type in free agency.  I'm just ****ing bored.  The world is in a state of disruption in case you haven't turned your television on and I just want something to be excited about. 

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

IMO our next FA signing has to be an offensive skill position player.  I would be shocked if Gute does not attempt to improve Rodgers offensive weapons before the draft.The WR group needs to improve, we may not necessarily sign someone to be our no.2 but we can sign someone to improve the depth. Other than Adams the entire WR group has underwhelmed. I would be very surprised if we stuck with the status quo before the draft. Same reasoning with the TE.

We totally should be looking at trades. Lane Taylor, Josh Jackson, Dean Lowry, Montraveous Adams and Oren Burks are our most tradeable assets whom we can be comfortable parting with. We can either acquire players to boost certain problem positions or we could collect draft picks.

The draft is stacked at WR and barren at DT. Free agency is basically they opposite.

Why would anybody want to trade for those guys? Our own fanbase wants to cut Taylor (and Lowry if they don't understand the cap) and the rest have proven nothing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm always the conservative type in free agency.  I'm just ****ing bored.  The world is in a state of disruption in case you haven't turned your television on and I just want something to be excited about. 

What is it Warren Buffet says, "The best retirement investment you can make is an S&P 500 index fund"? 

Welcome to the index fund. Check out all those god damn comp picks that 3 years from now have a 15% chance of developing into a decent starter.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

We have enough left for one nice FA and people want that to be our #2 ILB? 

Lol thinking with hearts and not heads I see.

Also, Clay just had a damn solid season, no reason he can't pull something in the 6-8m range. Pass.

I'm thinking a WR. That market has frozen solid because of the upcoming draft.

Maybe a decent talent is dropping to where we can snag him on our terms.....draft another....and roll into the season with a gun that has all it's chambers loaded.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

We have enough left for one nice FA and people want that to be our #2 ILB? 

Lol thinking with hearts and not heads I see.

Also, Clay just had a damn solid season, no reason he can't pull something in the 6-8m range. Pass.

Yeah if Jimmy Graham can get like 8 so can Clay lol.

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What is it Warren Buffet says, "The best retirement investment you can make is an S&P 500 index fund"? 

Welcome to the index fund. Check out all those god damn comp picks that 3 years from now have a 15% chance of developing into a decent starter.

Cool, just in time for us to tank for our next QB.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The draft is stacked at WR and barren at DT. Free agency is basically they opposite.

Why would anybody want to trade for those guys? Our own fanbase wants to cut Taylor (and Lowry if they don't understand the cap) and the rest have proven nothing

There's nothing stopping us from adding a FA WR AND drafting a WR as well. Typically when a draft pick has failed you can make up for that failure by signing a free agent, in our case its not looking good for MVS, ESB and Moore has been a total failure. Signing a free agent makes perfect sense in this scenario.

I hate double/triple dipping in the draft because it's a waste of draft picks and causes us to look past a talented player for the sake of drafting a particular position. Our history of triple dipping is not good and it's a practice we'd do well to do away with. We drafted Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones and Davante Mays but by doing so we missed out on George Kittle. We did it again with MVS, ESB and Moore with disastrous results.

We went back to back picks on defensive backs with our first two selections not once but three times in the last 5 years with very little to show for it, meanwhile we must've missed out on so many good players in other positions. 

I know we need WRs but I hope to god we don't double/triple dip again. We need a free agent WR to help us avoid being sucked into doing that again. I know WR is stacked in the draft but it's important not to ignore talented players in other positions as we only have so many draft picks to work with.

As for trades I can think of reasons why some of these guys might generate some interest:

Taylor is a proven NFL starting guard on an affordable contract- there has to be some interested teams.

Dean Lowry is a starting NFL DL - again there has to be some interested teams.

Josh Jackson - NFL teams that liked him in the draft might view him as an interesting reclamation project.

Montraveous Adams is a former 3rd round pick and is still young enough to gain some looks.

Oren Burks athleticism may be enticing for a team looking to get quicker in the middle of the defence.

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

There's nothing stopping us from adding a FA WR AND drafting a WR as well. Typically when a draft pick has failed you can make up for that failure by signing a free agent, in our case its not looking good for MVS, ESB and Moore has been a total failure. Signing a free agent makes perfect sense in this scenario.

I hate double/triple dipping in the draft because it's a waste of draft picks and causes us to look past a talented player for the sake of drafting a particular position. Our history of triple dipping is not good and it's a practice we'd do well to do away with. We drafted Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones and Davante Mays but by doing so we missed out on George Kittle. We did it again with MVS, ESB and Moore with disastrous results.

We went back to back picks on defensive backs with our first two selections not once but three times in the last 5 years with very little to show for it, meanwhile we must've missed out on so many good players in other positions. 

I know we need WRs but I hope to god we don't double/triple dip again. We need a free agent WR to help us avoid being sucked into doing that again. I know WR is stacked in the draft but it's important not to ignore talented players in other positions as we only have so many draft picks to work with.

As for trades I can think of reasons why some of these guys might generate some interest:

Taylor is a proven NFL starting guard on an affordable contract- there has to be some interested teams.

Dean Lowry is a starting NFL DL - again there has to be some interested teams.

Josh Jackson - NFL teams that liked him in the draft might view him as an interesting reclamation project.

Montraveous Adams is a former 3rd round pick and is still young enough to gain some looks.

Oren Burks athleticism may be enticing for a team looking to get quicker in the middle of the defence.

Why are writing off MVS and EQ? Both have shown an ability to play NFL ball. You can sign a free agent, but if those guys are your #3, you aren't doing badly.

Why is double/triple dipping in the draft a waste of draft picks? In the late rounds, you're lucky if 20% of your guys are worth a damn. Double and triple dipping (at positions where three guys play at a time makes perfect sense.

We didn't miss out on George Little because we were determined to draft running backs. We missed out on George Kittle because his evaluation was murky as ****. So did 31 other teams, hell the 49ers did to, if they thought he was going to develop into the guy he is now, they would have traded back into the first round to draft him rather than sitting and waiting.

I don't know how to tell you this man, but 50% of first round picks bust if you're defining Randall and Clinton-Dix busts. Pure probability is going to indicate you're going to occasionally have a few coin flips where the quarter turns up tails two, three, even four times in a row.

If we can't add a talented rookie to this receiver group and have success as an offense, we're not going to have success as an offense. There's no reason to think it's an impossibility to draft a contributor at wide receiver immediately and one that develops. Drafting two guys at a position doesn't automatically mean that they both bust. Just like signing a guy doesn't mean that he's automatically going to succeed. This most recent FA class has warped people's understanding of what free agency is. These signings are often bad value. They're not guaranteed to be successful. Nobody is indicating that players with talent should be ignored.

Taylor has proven to be a below average starting guard. Who wants to give up value for a below average guard making 4.5 per?

Dean Lowry is our second best defensive lineman. Trading him offers us no cap relief this year, and we now have to replace him. Also, again, even taking the hit in the guaranteed money, it's not like he's amazing value with the contract in hand.

Jackson, Burks, and Adams are the kind of guys that get you 7th round throw away picks. At this point you're better holding on to the guy you felt had the talent to be a high draft pick than taking the garbage pick from someone else.

• Like 4