2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

I think Sternberger will be decent, I'm not expecting him to all of a sudden be the second coming of George Kittle or something. Last season we got a good look at his blocking which looked pretty good though, that's encouraging since we are running the ball a lot with LaFleur. Lewis and him will be good blocking TEs for us. My expectations for Sternberger is around maybe 30-40 catches, 400-500 yards, 3-5 TDs. We just need him to replace Grahams production and be a better willing blocker.

Edited by Gopackgonerd
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Golfman said:

Yeah, I kinda do as it used to be my profession. Not as a player, but a club pro. I'm pretty aware of where the great golf course are in all of the US. Green Bay is pretty pedestrian compared to most NFL cities regarding golf tbh.  

Ever hear of Oak Hill? 

But carry on! 

Whistling Straits ... Sand Valley ... Black Wolf Run ... Erin Hills -- overall, a ton of really, really nice courses.  TBH we were talking Buffalo and Green Bay.  Love to golf, carry on.

9 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Whistling Straits ... Sand Valley ... Black Wolf Run ... Erin Hills -- overall, a ton of really, really nice courses.  TBH we were talking Buffalo and Green Bay.  Love to golf, carry on.

Exactly, and none of those courses are in GB. If you want to pick NY golf vs. Wisconsin golf, good luck on that one. Love the courses you mentioned however. 

9 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I think Sternberger will be decent, I'm not expecting him to all of a sudden be the second coming of George Kittle or something. Last season we got a good look at his blocking which looked pretty good though, that's encouraging since we are running the ball a lot with LaFleur. Lewis and him will be good blocking TEs for us. My expectations for Sternberger is around maybe 30-40 catches, 400-500 yards, 3-5 TDs. We just need him to replace Grahams production and be a better willing blocker.

The blocking won't be difficult as he's already better than Graham. We do need him to have more production than Graham because we need better production out of the position and currently, he's our best hope for that. He needs to make a big second year leap. Unfortunate the cheap shot he took in the scrimmage cost him time and then I believe he had an ankle injury. 

The other unknown is how the China Virus is going to affect off season stuff. Guessing a lot of the off season program could get scrapped. That has a very negative impact on rookies obviously, but the second and third year guys who are expecting big leaps from get set back too. I know it's the same for everybody! 

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

Exactly, and none of those courses are in GB. If you want to pick NY golf vs. Wisconsin golf, good luck on that one. Love the courses you mentioned however. 

Is Mystery Hills still a thing (golf course around GB)?  Played there as a kid, gorgeous and really tough on reading putts.  Every putt seemed to break to the Bay.  No where in the league of the others mentioned, just curious.

And...how about George Young Golf Course up in the UP?  That thing was beautiful.  Not Whistling Straits or the Bull, but still a nice course.

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Anybody confident in any third round sophomore (who didn't play as a rookie) to produce is ignorant of the mathematics involved.

What mathematics would that be ?
Historical or aggregate numbers mean little or nothing with regards to the specific case of Jace Sternberger

Here's why: Those historical numbers do not offer any context such as who was in front of that rookie/sophomore on the depth chart, who was the coach, what was the offense, what was the opportunity, who was the athlete.

In the case of Jace - he has upside left in his development, more so than most rookie TEs given his limited resume in college
The front office thought enough of his future to invest a mid 3rd round pick in him after assessment by professional scouts and front office guys.
He landed on a team with a HC and playcaller that values and utilizes TEs extensively in this scheme
He landed on a team with (2) graybeards who can accelerate his development and both Graham and Lewis invested time in working with him
He has the requisite athleticism, he isn't a dumbass and players making the leap in year 2 is a huge part of NFL draft & development

All of that together points to a golden opportunity and the right environment to get the most out of him. The aggregate and historical data don't contemplate these specifics and very few college TEs come into such a favorable situation as Jace did in Green Bay.

I'm quite confident in Jace Sternberger and his opportunity to produce in 2020 and beyond.

Others may feel differently.
And they manage to convey their thoughts without calling everybody a moron, a liar or the pejorative version of a homer simply for having the temerity to disagree with your always-dour outlook. You can do better and we deserve better.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

What mathematics would that be ?
Historical or aggregate numbers mean little or nothing with regards to the specific case of Jace Sternberger

Here's why: Those historical numbers do not offer any context such as who was in front of that rookie/sophomore on the depth chart, who was the coach, what was the offense, what was the opportunity, who was the athlete.

In the case of Jace - he has upside left in his development, more so than most rookie TEs given his limited resume in college
The front office thought enough of his future to invest a mid 3rd round pick in him after assessment by professional scouts and front office guys.
He landed on a team with a HC and playcaller that values and utilizes TEs extensively in this scheme
He landed on a team with (2) graybeards who can accelerate his development and both Graham and Lewis invested time in working with him
He has the requisite athleticism, he isn't a dumbass and players making the leap in year 2 is a huge part of NFL draft & development

All of that together points to a golden opportunity and the right environment to get the most out of him. The aggregate and historical data don't contemplate these specifics and very few college TEs come into such a favorable situation as Jace did in Green Bay.

I'm quite confident in Jace Sternberger and his opportunity to produce in 2020 and beyond.

Others may feel differently.
And they manage to convey their thoughts without calling everybody a moron, a liar or the pejorative version of a homer simply for having the temerity to disagree with your always-dour outlook. You can do better and we deserve better.

Historical and aggregate numbers are the best way to predict a players success. Every individual is in a unique situation. However the large sample size plays that out.

Using a "limited resume in college" as a positive thing is another thing that doesn't correlate to reality. Guys that are good pros often are the ones that are good college players immediately.

Every third round pick is a pick that a professional front office thought highly enough of to draft in the third round. And they still bust 80ish percent of the time.

Our HC sure utilized our TEs with high volume and efficiency last year . . . Oh wait, that didn't happen.

Most mid round rookies come in with veterans in front of them to mentor them. They still bust 80ish percent of the time.

The second year leap is important to all rookies. And they still bust 80ish percent of the time.

What about his situation is favorable? He barely got to play his rookie year which has proven very bad for development. He has a QB that doesn't throw to TEs and throws over the middle at a very low rate.

Sternberger is a lottery ticket. He's not a guy that you can count on at all.

• Like 3