2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

Didn't know this but Robby Anderson was one of our 30 pre-draft visits in 2016. Coupled that with the leaked rumors that he was our deadline target, he should be one of the higher odds targets we have come FA. I've been watching some old games of his lately. He's more skilled than I was aware of. He roasts some good CBs right off the line in 2017, Trufant, Tre White, Brent Grimes, don't even get hands on him. Makes some contested catches. Definitely offers more of a skillset than a rich mans MVS.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Didn't know this but Robby Anderson was one of our 30 pre-draft visits in 2016. Coupled that with the leaked rumors that he was our deadline target, he should be one of the higher odds targets we have come FA. I've been watching some old games of his lately. He's more skilled than I was aware of. He roasts some good CBs right off the line in 2017, Trufant, Tre White, Brent Grimes, don't even get hands on him. Makes some contested catches. Definitely offers more of a skillset than a rich mans MVS.

let everyone walk. give robby and javon hargrave the big boy deals. 

The logic says let Bulaga walk since in a couple years we'll be better off. However, when looking at the contracts we have, I believe that next year is the year with the highest chance of getting a superbowl (specially if you take into account Rodgers' age). Thus the thought of keeping him no matter what.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

let everyone walk. give robby and javon hargrave the big boy deals. 

I just can't get behind letting Bulaga walk in a division where I have to face Mack, Hunter and Flowers six times. Bulaga owns those guys even if he's not perfect elsewhere. Gun to my head, I'm taking Linsley's $8.5m cap number (after dead money) and giving it to Bulaga if we can only keep one of them.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I just can't get behind letting Bulaga walk in a division where I have to face Mack, Hunter and Flowers six times. Bulaga owns those guys even if he's not perfect elsewhere. Gun to my head, I'm taking Linsley's $8.5m cap number (after dead money) and giving it to Bulaga if we can only keep one of them.

Better yet......keep Linsley.....and put the gun to Bulaga's head when you tell him: "Now...either your name or your brains is gonna be on that team friendly contract"  :)

• Like 2

Veldheer is the wild card. Whether you keep Bulaga or go with a rookie, insurance is needed. Hope he is open to a return as a back up, which is less wear and tear on his body. If you sign Bulaga, you have to be ok with what will probably be a big chunk of dead money on that contract. If Sitton and Lang were able to get a last money grab, you know Bulaga can, and his agent could care less about the Packers and team friendly deals

Edited by cannondale

Okay looking at what Martinez should ask for.

Bobby Wagner is the highest paid at 18 Mil, but his contract is a farce. Seattle is already in position to cut him after this year if his play or health fall way off. 

CJ Mosley makes 17 Million, but his deal is trash, his guarantees die after the third year. And this was from the Jets who had to throw money out their boat to keep from sinking.

Deion Jones has the best contract in the NFL for an ILB at 14.25 Mil with a terrific likelihood of playing it out and hitting Free Agency again at age 29 in 2024.

Myles Jack got stupid money from mustachio because the NFL left him a voicemail saying he needed to spend some money.

Kwon Alexander makes 13.5 because San Fran restructured his deal to not stop hitting their cap until 2024, despite the fact he stops being under contract after 2022.

Jaylon Smith's 11.4 Mil is a farce. the only year he ever has a cap hit greater than 11 is 2025, which contains zero guaranteed money.

Ogletree is at 10.5 on a restructure.

McKinney is at 10 but he got only 3.75 in signing bonus

He hasn't made the Pro Bowl over Kendricks who is also at 10.

Then you have 4-5 players at the 7-9.5 Mil level.

I think this is gonna put him at the 7-10 Million level. 10 Mil makes him the tenth highest paid ILB in the NFL.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, VonKarman said:

The logic says let Bulaga walk since in a couple years we'll be better off. However, when looking at the contracts we have, I believe that next year is the year with the highest chance of getting a superbowl (specially if you take into account Rodgers' age). Thus the thought of keeping him no matter what.

We will see how much Ted Thompson influenced Gute.  Thompson would not have paid Bulaga, and continue to build for the future.  He didn't sell out for one last ride with Brett.  Will Gute do the same? Winning is a good deodorant for either choice.  

I wonder if with the new cba coming up we see many 1 year, bet on yourself deals this offseason, or would a potential cap adjustment hit 2022 assuming a lockout that takes us to kickoff 2022 like 2011? 

With tv deals coming up and additional media rights, I wouldn’t be surprised if the cap is 300m as soon like 2024.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 10:39 PM, Packerraymond said:

Another guy Gutey showed interest in that could be a FA, Watkins. Then again hearing him say he might take a year off if KC won the superbowl wasn't a great thing to hear. Would be more expensive than Anderson.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-free-agency/0ap3000000920648/Ian-Rapoport-Packers-Bears-interested-in-Sammy-Watkins 

14 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Okay looking at what Martinez should ask for.

Bobby Wagner is the highest paid at 18 Mil, but his contract is a farce. Seattle is already in position to cut him after this year if his play or health fall way off. 

CJ Mosley makes 17 Million, but his deal is trash, his guarantees die after the third year. And this was from the Jets who had to throw money out their boat to keep from sinking.

Deion Jones has the best contract in the NFL for an ILB at 14.25 Mil with a terrific likelihood of playing it out and hitting Free Agency again at age 29 in 2024.

Myles Jack got stupid money from mustachio because the NFL left him a voicemail saying he needed to spend some money.

Kwon Alexander makes 13.5 because San Fran restructured his deal to not stop hitting their cap until 2024, despite the fact he stops being under contract after 2022.

Jaylon Smith's 11.4 Mil is a farce. the only year he ever has a cap hit greater than 11 is 2025, which contains zero guaranteed money.

Ogletree is at 10.5 on a restructure.

McKinney is at 10 but he got only 3.75 in signing bonus

He hasn't made the Pro Bowl over Kendricks who is also at 10.

Then you have 4-5 players at the 7-9.5 Mil level.

I think this is gonna put him at the 7-10 Million level. 10 Mil makes him the tenth highest paid ILB in the NFL.

So you're saying that it's possible Blake could take 8 or 9 a year?

15 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Another guy Gutey showed interest in that could be a FA, Watkins. Then again hearing him say he might take a year off if KC won the superbowl wasn't a great thing to hear. Would be more expensive than Anderson.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-free-agency/0ap3000000920648/Ian-Rapoport-Packers-Bears-interested-in-Sammy-Watkins 

Didn't someone post an article about Watkins thinking about taking a year off?

21 hours ago, cannondale said:

Veldheer is the wild card. Whether you keep Bulaga or go with a rookie, insurance is needed. Hope he is open to a return as a back up, which is less wear and tear on his body. If you sign Bulaga, you have to be ok with what will probably be a big chunk of dead money on that contract. If Sitton and Lang were able to get a last money grab, you know Bulaga can, and his agent could care less about the Packers and team friendly deals

I still think you sign Bulaga anyway and bring back Veldheer as insurance. We saw that Alex Light wasn't the answer at RT and we will have to invest a pick there. If we can't get it done in this year's draft, a healthy Bulaga and a healthy Veldheer give us a year to figure it out. 

Also, am I the only one who thinks we need to be looking at Billy Turner's replacement? I bet we could package him up with some draft picks and deal him to Philly so he could reunite with Carson. Plus, he'd probably be a better fit in Peterson's system because he certainly isn't in ours...

On 2/1/2020 at 10:39 PM, Packerraymond said:

I think the interesting thing is look at his career numbers the last two years with Sam Darnold as his QB, and the prior year with Josh McCown as his QB. He's never had a chance to play with a legitimate QB.