2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

Just now, Jaegybomb said:

No one, just reading between the lines.

He's gone on record as saying he wanted to return to the Jets.  If he had a standing offer, you'd think he'd have taken it by now.  The market is softer than I think he anticipated, probably in large part due to the sheer depth of this year's WR class.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's gone on record as saying he wanted to return to the Jets.  If he had a standing offer, you'd think he'd have taken it by now.  The market is softer than I think he anticipated, probably in large part due to the sheer depth of this year's WR class.

I think he feels pretty secure that the offer is going to be there for a while and that's why he's posting things like the "patience is key" tweets.

Spoke to FA CB Tramon Williams while he's sheltering-in-place: "I've been in Green Bay practically my whole career.
I'm open to returning because it's like home, so
#Packers are a priority option.
But, I'm also open-minded about other teams. It's just a waiting game right now."

1 hour ago, Jaegybomb said:

No one, just reading between the lines.

Could be but a lot of agents start rumors to drive up the price. Never really know. Though I really want us to get a WR, I think it would be smart for Gute to have a number in mind and not budge. Anderson is good enough to be our #2 WR but not sure if he is worth 10M.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

They released Prince Amukamara, Taylor Gabriel, and Leonard Floyd clearing up $26.7M in cap space.  That's their starting CB, OLB, and #3/#4 WR.

They released those guys for a reason. Floyd was a bust in their eyes and they wanted a proven commodity there IMHO. Amukamara has underachieved his entire career and Gabriel was a one-year wonder in Atlanta. Look for them to draft those positions next month. Something tells me Brand Aiyuk winds up in Chicago at pick 50.

Just now, Joe said:

They released those guys for a reason. Floyd was a bust in their eyes and they wanted a proven commodity there IMHO. Amukamara has underachieved his entire career and Gabriel was a one-year wonder in Atlanta. Look for them to draft those positions next month. Something tells me Brand Aiyuk winds up in Chicago at pick 50.

That's kinda my point.  They released two starters and a pseudo-starter.  What starters did the Packers release this offseason?  Jimmy Graham.  I'd guarantee that a starting OLB or CB affects your team a heck of a lot more than a starting TE.  The Bears cleared a TON of cap space this offseason by making those moves, but look at their current depth chart.  Who is their starting OLB and CB to replace those two?  You replaced Leonard Floyd with Robert Quinn, which is likely an upgrade even if Quinn isn't as good in coverage.  You replaced Amukamara with Artie Burns.  To me, that's a downgrade and it doesn't fix the Bears' long term issues.  They released those two because their price tags were higher than they wanted.  Would you rather have Amukamara at $9M (I think) or Artie Burns at what is presumably less than a third?  It's easily Burns.