2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

1 hour ago, Jaire_Island said:

I am happy with picking Love. But not at all happy with Trading up and drafting him

Had we stand pat, who knows he might have fallen to us. If not also you have leverage to trade back into Mid 2nd round and pick a guy like Denzel Mims. We would have our 4th Rd pick too.

If no one signed love before us at 30, more than happily we would have selected him.

That 4th rd pick, would have helped us to trade up and sign Denzel Mims.

That trade killed us Literally..

Not having a 4th didn’t kill us. Pick 136 is a scratch off. If Love turns out to be even a middle of the road starter, the trade is a win.

What does kill is investing in the future if you think we should be building for the present, or drafting a 250lb rb in r2, or a H back in r 3 (really how many super successful ones are there)?

6 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Not having a 4th didn’t kill us. Pick 136 is a scratch off. If Love turns out to be even a middle of the road starter, the trade is a win.

What does kill is investing in the future if you think we should be building for the present, or drafting a 250lb rb in r2, or a H back in r 3 (really how many super successful ones are there)?

Thats the point I want to make. Had we have 4th rd pick, we would have traded up and drafted a WR that we liked in 2nd Rd instead of taking RB

We lost that leverage.

Edited by Jaire_Island

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

He said exactly what I said earlier, if you weren't going to get a top 10 WR in the draft, it wasn't really worth the pick to take a guy in the middle rounds. We have a lot of "middle round" talent in the WR room already. We needed a difference maker and those guys were gone before pick 62. So we really had one shot and they chose to go with Love instead. 

The crap mentality of "we believe our guys will develop" theory is that they're never developing against better competition. No one is ever put in a position where they have to fight for their roster spot against a talented player. Most players on the team have been gifted their current position because a vet aged out.

The only Packers I can remember that actually snatched a starting spot over the last decade or so were Tramon and Sam Shields. Ironically both of them lost their starting spots because of age or injury when the front office gave it to draft picks they reached for.

Let Casey Hayward walk "cause our guys will develop"

Let Cullen Jenkins walk "cause our guys will develop"

Didn't find a safety after Collins got hurt "cause our guys will develop"

And now its not finding a WR cause "our guys will develop"

2 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

The crap mentality of "we believe our guys will develop" theory is that they're never developing against better competition. No one is ever put in a position where they have to fight for their roster spot against a talented player. Most players on the team have been gifted their current position because a vet aged out.

The only Packers I can remember that actually snatched a starting spot over the last decade or so were Tramon and Sam Shields. Ironically both of them lost their starting spots because of age or injury when the front office gave it to draft picks they reached for.

What are you talking about?

Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Linsley, Adams, Lazard, Jones all earned their starting spots through performance on the field. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Yeah I tend to agree.  I also have some heartburn that we’ll be paying first round draft pick money for a dude that conceivably won’t contribute outside of running the scout team for possibly 2 or more years.  I mean, it’s not uncommon for first round picks to see limited time their first year, but barring injury to Rodgers, Love may be ‘developmental only’ for several years and getting paid well to do it.  I guess that’s what building for the future is all about, and I’m honestly still struggling a bit to get really stoked about it.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

He said exactly what I said earlier, if you weren't going to get a top 10 WR in the draft, it wasn't really worth the pick to take a guy in the middle rounds. We have a lot of "middle round" talent in the WR room already. We needed a difference maker and those guys were gone before pick 62. So we really had one shot and they chose to go with Love instead. 

This was my thought as well, I know people are freaking out about us "not getting Rodgers a weapon" but when you look at who was there, it actually makes sense. 

Would drafting Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman make everyone that much more happy and move the needle enough to pass up on what our front office thinks will be a franchise QB? Did we want another 6'4+ WR? Should we have reached for Mims, Shenault, Jefferson, Claypool, or Hamler instead of a potential franchise QB? 

Should we have reached for Lynn Bowden, Bryan Edwards, or Devin Duvernay who all went mid-late 3rd with our 2nd round pick? Should we have reached for Gabe Davis in the 3rd?

While I wouldn't of minded us grabbing a wideout at some point; once you get to the 5th round or later, is anyone going to be better than what we currently have on the roster? I really only cared about getting someone with a certain skill set and I didn't see a ton of that when we picked.

Edited by Victor1124

19 minutes ago, Jaire_Island said:

Thats the point I want to make. Had we have 4th rd pick, we would have traded up and drafted a WR that we liked in 2nd Rd instead of taking RB

We lost that leverage.

I'm not sure how anyone can think we would do that considering we had plenty of opportunities to draft a WR and didn't..

24 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

Your going back over a decade to prove this point?

17 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What I don't get is people wanting Claypool when we already have a version of him that can actually play WR on the roster. 

I get wanting dynamic speed like Ruggs, Reagor, etc but the Pittman, Higgins, Claypool stuff doesn't make sense. 

I think people just want weapons for the purpose of weapons... regardless the shape they take.

I think we fall in love with players and don’t want to look back on Rodgers career and say he didn’t get another Super Bowl because he didn’t have weapons. I think people take it crazy though...

People want to say the packers have done him dirty and haven’t gotten him the high end talent.  Yet they forget stuff like this... (sports illustrated cover of , Nelson, driver, jones, cobb, finely and Rodgers). Dude has had weapons.

Fact is GB is trying to help Rodgers... just differently. With a running game and defense.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 1

With no attention at all to the defensive line - like literally almost - how possible is it that Rashan Gary will play DE this season?  I say DE because although I’m 90% sure it’s 5 tech, at this point I am too scared to ask.

Gary’s listed weight is 278.  That’s 10 pounds he’d need to add give or take.  

26 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What I don't get is people wanting Claypool when we already have a version of him that can actually play WR on the roster. 

I get wanting dynamic speed like Ruggs, Reagor, etc but the Pittman, Higgins, Claypool stuff doesn't make sense. 

I found that strange as well, especially the amount of love for Claypool. I mean we already have Lazard and Funchess who are similar and a couple more 6'5 WRs. You could even throw Sternberger in that mix as well. 

The only types of receiver I am interested in and something we really need is a Greg Jennings or Emmanuel Sanders type of wideout. A more quick twitch guy who can line up everywhere but especially work the middle of the field and get YAC. I would even be okay with a gadget type player that is very quick twitch and could be used on slants, drags, screens, or lined up in the backfield. 

It is obviously hindsight and Sternberger may turn out to be a good player but If anything, I am still salty about us missing out on Terry Mclaurin last year in the 3rd.

Edited by Victor1124
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

This was my thought as well, I know people are freaking out about us "not getting Rodgers a weapon" but when you look at who was there, it actually makes sense. 

Would drafting Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman make everyone that much more happy and move the needle enough to pass up on what our front office thinks will be a franchise QB? Did we want another 6'4+ WR? Should we have reached for Mims, Shenault, Jefferson, Claypool, or Hamler instead of a potential franchise QB? 

Should we have reached for Lynn Bowden, Bryan Edwards, or Devin Duvernay who all went mid-late 3rd with our 2nd round pick? Should we have reached for Gabe Davis in the 3rd?

While I wouldn't of minded us grabbing a wideout at some point; once you get to the 5th round or later, is anyone going to be better than what we currently have on the roster? I really only cared about getting someone with a certain skill set and I didn't see a ton of that when we picked.

I could be wrong but I think this came down to Jefferson and Aiyuk for the Packers in terms of 1st round WRs. For Jefferson, the Packers knew he wouldn't make it past 22 so they probably talked to the Jags at 20 but the asking price would have been our 3rd plus a kicker on the point chart, just too much for Gute to pull the trigger. Don't think Philly was interested in trading back at 21 because they loved Reagor. At that point, Jefferson was gone at 22.

That left Aiyuk and I would bet the Packers eyed the 26th spot to move up all along either for Aiyuk or Love. They may have had Aiyuk slightly ahead on their board due to the need factor. Still too expensive to move up to 24 and the Packers probably weren't worried about Minny at 25 bc they just went WR at 22. I think GB planned to move up and give up the 4th to Miami after Minnesota picked at 25. The problem was Minnesota didn't pick at 25 and instead traded with SF who took Aiyuk. That left Love as probably the only guy left GB had a 1st round grade on. They went through with the trade up and made the pick. 

Just a feeling, but if Minnesota picks at 25, I think Aiyuk is a Packer at 26. 

52 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

It's also about pride. Packers kept stating over and over again how Moore, Scantling and ESB would break through after drafting them in 2018. To say otherwise would be to admit that they wasted these picks.

Edited by Howler
  • Like 1