2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

With no attention at all to the defensive line - like literally almost - how possible is it that Rashan Gary will play DE this season?  I say DE because although I’m 90% sure it’s 5 tech, at this point I am too scared to ask.

Gary’s listed weight is 278.  That’s 10 pounds he’d need to add give or take.  

I would try it, but I doubt they would full time him there. They're gonna bank on Keke taking a year 2 leap.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I could be wrong but I think this came down to Jefferson and Aiyuk for the Packers in terms of 1st round WRs. For Jefferson, the Packers knew he wouldn't make it past 22 so they probably talked to the Jags at 20 but the asking price would have been our 3rd plus a kicker on the point chart, just too much for Gute to pull the trigger. Don't think Philly was interested in trading back at 21 because they loved Reagor. At that point, Jefferson was gone at 22.

That left Aiyuk and I would bet the Packers eyed the 26th spot to move up all along either for Aiyuk or Love. They may have had Aiyuk slightly ahead on their board due to the need factor. Still too expensive to move up to 24 and the Packers probably weren't worried about Minny at 25 bc they just went WR at 22. I think GB planned to move up and give up the 4th to Miami after Minnesota picked at 25. The problem was Minnesota didn't pick at 25 and instead traded with SF who took Aiyuk. That left Love as probably the only guy left GB had a 1st round grade on. They went through with the trade up and made the pick. 

Just a feeling, but if Minnesota picks at 25, I think Aiyuk is a Packer at 26. 

I agree with this as well and those were the two guys I wanted, especially Jefferson. I know I keep harping on this comparison and need but those are the two guys that most closely resembled Greg Jennings when I would watch them play. Aiyuk probably more so. Jefferson could even lean a little more on the Emmanuel Sanders comparison which is another one I mention often as the type of receiver we need. 

In a perfect world, we could of drafted a receiver and then in a couple years actually drafted our future QB but it didn't workout that way and I am actually starting to warm up to the Love pick. His arm talent is legit and very effortless, give him two years to sit behind Rodgers and hopefully develop his timing plus decision making. 

I'm trying to listen to Gutey explain his thought process on youtube but these idiots have a conference call with music playing THE ENTIRE TIME. They hung up to call Gute again and it's still there.

It gets better. A guy has his question up and says "this was useless for radio purposes " and hangs up. The music stops playing and it's clear now . xD

Edited by PackFan13

3 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

How many years does Montravius get?

Looking at the moves so far, at least one more. The DL that we have drafted and signed are more of the LB/EDGE mold.  The only other guy is Gerald Willis, who the Packers don't even have listed on the roster, but NFL.com does.  The only guys that are even near the 300 lb area that is typical of our linemen are Zadarius, Gary, and Keke, another option would be putting Loony back on the defensive side.  There will probably be a fatty that we pull out of a hat that contributes.  But I doubt that we get that Grady Jackson, Ryan Pickett, Letroy Guion type that we really want.

I personally don't want to give up on Gary as a pass rusher until it is clear that he can't do it.  Gary should see a bigger role this season with the departure of Fackrell, and despite all the jokes, wasn't going to lose a lot of snaps to any rookie last season.  It will be time for him to sink or swim, but I would at least give him this year to do it.  And I would even go so far as to put a lesser player out there as a DL rather than stunt the development of Gary.   

17 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It happens in early July.  I am imagining a frenzy if say 60 guys declare.  Would they still become free agents if they are not selected? 

Looking at our DL as of now it seems that our 3-4 base starting line will be Keke, Clark and Lowry.

Our backups are currently Adams, Lancaster and Willis.

It is immediately apparent it is not good enough and we also lack bodies for training camp (if there's going to be one)

I think you can safely bet your money on us picking up a free agent. Snacks Harrison and Mike Daniels are both only 31 so they could in theory have a year or two of high level play left. There's alot of free agents out there who are 33, 34, 35 which is why these two stand out a bit. Adam Gotis is there but I assume his knee condition is not good otherwise he would've been picked up by now. There's Corey Liuget, there's Sylvester Williams, a former first round pick who's now a bit of a journeyman. Both are also 31.

Packers' roster still needs a lot of work between now and September. Guys I'd be looking at: 

DL: Snacks, Daniels, Liuget, or another guy who hasn't been cut yet.

CB: Tramon

OT: Veldheer

WR: Gabriel or another guy who hasn't been cut yet

The only positions we had holes at pre-draft that I think we probably no longer address in FA are ILB and TE. 

Clay Matthews, Damon Harrison, Jared Veldheer, trade Taylor for a 6th round pick that we use in the supplemental draft.  Bring Tramon back.  Identify biggest need a week before the deadline and trade for a player to fill that need (up to our second round pick, which will be 64th overall barring another Patriots or Tom Brady cheating scandal).  

Edited by Outpost31

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Clay Matthews, Damon Harrison, Jared Veldheer, Bring Tramon back.  

We had the exact same conversation while drinking beer in the garage last night. So I know that from a garage-drinking POV it's a winner
GB Might have to re-structure Z's roster bonus to cover the bill,  but those vets would be great additions

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Packers' roster still needs a lot of work between now and September. Guys I'd be looking at: 

DL: Snacks, Daniels, Liuget, or another guy who hasn't been cut yet.

CB: Tramon

OT: Veldheer

WR: Gabriel or another guy who hasn't been cut yet

The only positions we had holes at pre-draft that I think we probably no longer address in FA are ILB and TE. 

How much cap room have we got for any of these ?   Thought we were relatively close to the figure we usually carry over.

Warming to the idea of a restructure for Z now.  We might need a tank season somewhere down the line to transition to Love if that's the plan so maybe best to throw more at this year.  Hopefully the OLs will free up room to release Lane Taylor.