2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

5 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If Bulaga walks do you give Elgton a shot at RT? Or are you signing a band aid and drafting high?

Elgton is a guard. I don't mess with a good thing. I'd sniff around the Jack Conklin market (if he hits FA) and if that gets too high a seriously ask Veldheer if he'd play a year at say 5m. That means I've got a hole to fill in the draft though so I need to sure up WR,TE,ILB or IDL in FA so I don't go into the draft with more needs I than I can fill.

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Elgton is a guard. I don't mess with a good thing. I'd sniff around the Jack Conklin market (if he hits FA) and if that gets too high a seriously ask Veldheer if he'd play a year at say 5m. That means I've got a hole to fill in the draft though so I need to sure up WR,TE,ILB or IDL in FA so I don't go into the draft with more needs I than I can fill.

I don't disagree. You don't think he'd be looking for the bigger payday outside if he could hack it? I'd be super leery about the Veldheer option but I guess thats as good as option C is gonna get.

40 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If Bulaga walks do you give Elgton a shot at RT? Or are you signing a band aid and drafting high?

I think their first plan would be to move Billy Turner to RT. If there's an OT available i the draft they're comfortable with, great. If not, Billy is probably better than most other options (for 2020). I wouldn't like that move much 

Edited by JBURGE

11 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I think their first plan would be to move Billy Turner to RT. If there's an OT available i the draft they're comfortable with, great. If not, Billy is probably better than most other options (for 2020). I wouldn't like that move much 

This one would be tough to swallow, I'd like to be able to help Billy as much as possible. If we could just hit on a starter in the 4th that'd be greeeeat.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Nope.  He's your starting LG for the next decade.

You dont think Elgton is looking at the difference in $$? Or we just figure out a way to assuage that? 

Agree on Jenkins.  While he's likely not the next Randall McDaniel he is a stud as a LG with an unknown ceiling at OT.

I really have soured on Billy H.  If he can't play inside can he really be better at OT?  Didn't Denver try him there?  He's in my coyote house.

I would guess we still have a leash on Spriggs for a reason.  If it doesn't cost much to bring him to camp by all means do so.  Expect nothing.

Hopefully we can re-sign Bulaga AND bring back Veldheer.  In the time they had both were impressive.  If we lose Bulaga, OT becomes mi numero uno need.

Edited by 15412

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

You dont think Elgton is looking at the difference in $$? Or we just figure out a way to assuage that? 

Elite OG money is $13M.  If you're a top 10 OG, you're getting $10M+ easily.  Elite RT is getting $15M+.  Top 10 RT money is $7M+.  There's better money to be had at OG than RT.

Choices for me are:

1) Go young and expensive and get Jack Conklin in (if you can) -$15m per season

2) Go cheap and keep Veldheer -$5m per season

3) Keep the status quo and keep Bulaga -$10m per season

The thing I have with Bulaga is the idea of better getting rid early than a year late, especially with his injury history. 

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Elite OG money is $13M.  If you're a top 10 OG, you're getting $10M+ easily.  Elite RT is getting $15M+.  Top 10 RT money is $7M+.  There's better money to be had at OG than RT.

No **** huh, thats what I get for thinking without researching. Seems absurd. 

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

No **** huh, thats what I get for thinking without researching. Seems absurd. 

Yeah.  The pay for guards has gone up exponentially the last few years.  There's a bigger premium on interior pressure.  You can always scheme away from the outside pass rushers.

• Like 2