The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

59 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Weren't you just saying in another thread that it would've been tough for any QB to succeed with the play calling, OL play and run game the Bears had last year? But now Burrow (and keep in mind this will take a somewhat big chunk of cap space away) will cure all of that somehow?

There are a handful of elite QBs who can overcome a lot.

Burrow looks like he could be that.

You would actually save money compared to a legit veteran.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There are a handful of elite QBs who can overcome a lot.

Burrow looks like he could be that.

You would actually save money compared to a legit veteran.

Yeah, or just finish with 5-8 wins next year and trade up for Fields or Lawrence. I'd rather give up two 1's and a 3 than some odd combo of three 1's and three 2's or some ****. No thanks.

• Like 1

Regarding the Burrow rumor, Bears just doing their diligence I imagine. 

But fwiw, package Mitch, Mack, and Two future Firsts. 

With Mack off our books we could afford the TE /OL revamps we need to make. It's a massive blow to the defense, but there's no point in wasting a talent like Mack when we have a bum like Biscuit under center... And frankly mitch probably needs a change of scenery if he's going to turn his career around, I don't think hes doing it here, and maybe the Ohio thing helps sell him. 

The problem is I'm still not sure why Cincinnati would do the deal... Getting Mack would be huge for them, but they'd be betting their team's future on Biscuit being salvageable vs Burrow being good... Unless they're expecting to use Mitch as a stop gap in a rebuilding year and gun for Lawrence in 21

Edited by Epyon

34 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Regarding the Burrow rumor, Bears just doing their diligence I imagine. 

But fwiw, package Mitch, Mack, and Two future Firsts. 

With Mack off our books we could afford the TE /OL revamps we need to make. It's a massive blow to the defense, but there's no point in wasting a talent like Mack when we have a bum like Biscuit under center... And frankly mitch probably needs a change of scenery if he's going to turn his career around, I don't think hes doing it here, and maybe the Ohio thing helps sell him. 

The problem is I'm still not sure why Cincinnati would do the deal... Getting Mack would be huge for them, but they'd be betting their team's future on Biscuit being salvageable vs Burrow being good... Unless they're expecting to use Mitch as a stop gap in a rebuilding year and gun for Lawrence in 21

Does Mack have a NTC? If so, I can't imagine he'd go to the Bengals.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah, or just finish with 5-8 wins next year and trade up for Fields or Lawrence. I'd rather give up two 1's and a 3 than some odd combo of three 1's and three 2's or some ****. No thanks.

That assumes the team is interested in trading.

They are going to finish with 8+ wins and still have to give up the world to get up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Trading Mack would also leave behind $20M or so in dead cap this year. 

Wasn't aware there's that much dead money if Mack was moved... No idea how we'd be able to even attempt a trade up without using Mack as trade bait.... Mitch isn't worth anything on his own and we lack the draft capital this year.... 

Ah well, it was a super unlikely thing that was likely never more than due diligence on our part at best, and /or even just clickbait trying to get attention or put out a smoke screen. It is lying season after all

38 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think is is closer to 40

Ok you made me look. Per Spotrac we’d have $45.5M dead cap if we cut him today, but that’s factoring in that his base salary and roster bonus for 2020 are already fully guaranteed. His remaining initial signing bonus amortization ($20.4M) plus the signing bonus from his restructure last year ($10.4M) would be dead to us if we trade him. I think that would be dead to us as $9.4M in 2020 (this year’s SB amortization) and $21.4M dead in 2021 (the rest of it), but don’t quote me on the last part. It’s not happening either way. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

3 minutes ago, Epyon said:

The guy that started the Bears - Burrow rumor also just said that Mack was on the table as part of it. Makes sense, he's the only thing of serious value we have, in the absence of actual draft capital. 

Nobody REALLY thinks the Bengals would take a 29 year old edge rusher (even an elite one) and a slew of future draft picks instead of drafting the most pro ready QB prospect since Andrew Luck, do they? 

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Nobody REALLY thinks the Bengals would take a 29 year old edge rusher (even an elite one) and a slew of future draft picks instead of drafting the most pro ready QB prospect since Andrew Luck, do they? 

Maybe none of Burrow's teammates went to his birthday party... Like that draft day movie. xD

24 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Burrow really doesn't want to be a Bengal--then they'd listen offers for the pick, for sure. Trubisky is really the key here--although if the Bears would have to eat that much of Mack's salary in the event of a trade, that factors into it, too. Honestly, if I was the Bengals GM (whoever that actually is)...I'd have to consider it. Mack could be good for long enough for the Bengals to contend before he's out of his prime. If Trubisky pans out, great, if he doesn't, so what? Maybe he sticks around as a backup. The Bengals are then in prime position to get Lawrence or Fields next year, if Mitch doesn't work out.