The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Ebron is better than what we have now so I wouldn't mind him at all.

He is also good friends with MT10 from their college days when Mitch was just a redshirt in 2013 so there is a trust factor there.

His production has not been bad his entire career either. It has looked bad because he was a top 10 pick.

But at a 3 years 18 million budget point I think it would be an upgrade they can financially do.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He also quit on Indianapolis and has a problem with drops. They could do better. Is he an upgrade? Yes. We would all be an upgrade, too.

How'd he quit on them?

All I know is that he's a really good athlete with a history of producing and he would force defenses to show more respect towards the middle of the field.

For a team with cap constraints he will be a lot more affordable than Hooper (who I'm not big on anyway) and Henry.

Edited by topwop1

14 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

How'd he quit on them?

All I know is that he's a really good athlete with a history of producing and he would force defenses to show more respect towards the middle of the field.

For a team with cap constraints he will be a lot more affordable than Hooper (who I'm not big on anyway) and Henry.

Essentially there's a lot of back and forth here but Ebron was fine all year, never was limited in practice or anything and then all of a sudden decided to have "surgery" to end his contract year. A ton of rumors surfaced that he didn't like his role in IND and thought the QB was terrible and hindering his performance. When the news of his surgery was made public Reich, who's one of the nicest and reserved coaches, met the media and was practically in disbelief over him not being able to play.

Here's a blurb from a CBS article:

Ebron says he's been dealing with the injury for months and the Colts knew about it. Reich says Ebron was fine to practice and play, with the decision to have surgery being an unforeseen one. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Maybe.

Edited by beardown3231

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Pass...Ebron is Trey Burton 2.0...clearly talented guy who when things are going well is a good player but man oh man is he soft physically and mentally...dude won't play through pain or put the team first.

I am not sure that is totally fair. 

For me, without Ebron is comes down to cost. The health concerns would keep me from going to high and too many years.

But in terms of adding a dynamic receiving talent on a budget we could do worse.

• Like 1

Over any of the FA TE I’d prefer to see if we can pry OJ Howard out of Tampa. He was well out of favor in Arians’ offense but has a TON of ability, and for a mid-round pick with a conditional additional mid-late round pick in 2021 on performance escalators he presents the best possibility for us to add elite talent without needing draft luck or an immediate top FA price tag. He’s got 1 year left at $3.5M then his option year. I’d make that deal if available and pick up his option in a cocaine heartbeat and pop him right into that Kelce role. He’s exactly what Nagy and Mitch need in that role, he’s less risk than a rookie in 2020 and he wouldn’t break the immediate budget preventing us from other significant roster adds. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure that is totally fair. 

It's not.

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Over any of the FA TE I’d prefer to see if we can pry OJ Howard out of Tampa. He was well out of favor in Arians’ offense but has a TON of ability, and for a mid-round pick with a conditional additional mid-late round pick in 2021 on performance escalators he presents the best possibility for us to add elite talent without needing draft luck or an immediate top FA price tag. He’s got 1 year left at $3.5M then his option year. I’d make that deal if available and pick up his option in a cocaine heartbeat and pop him right into that Kelce role. He’s exactly what Nagy and Mitch need in that role, he’s less risk than a rookie in 2020 and he wouldn’t break the immediate budget preventing us from other significant roster adds. 

I'm terrified to pull off any trades that don't involve a quarterback or a pass rusher. 

15 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

And I’m looking to add first round talent at a need position if we can without the benefit of a first round pick. 

I liked OJ Howard when he was coming out but he hasn't really done a whole lot in his career to warrant trading draft capital for him IMO. 

To be fair...Eric Ebron is also a first round talent...a high one at that...and I don't think he will end up costing a heck of a lot plus you don't have to give up any picks for him either.