The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

6 minutes ago, soulman said:

He an average punter and he's paid like an average punter. (16th out of 32).  He could be replaced this year with $100k dead $$$ so the way we get a better punter is to bring in competition and I'm sure we will.  Hell, on a list of stuff to worry about he's down around #12.

I think he should be significantly higher than that on the list, especially for a team likely to need to look to win on defense. O’Donnell is an average to below average NFL punter. In 2019 he was 24th in punt yard average, 22nd in net punt yardage and 16th in punts inside the 20. This wasn’t an outlier year either - he has NEVER finished in the top half of the league in net average in 6 seasons. He has had a punt blocked in 4 of his 6 seasons too, and our kickers have been underwhelming (including Gould) since he became the regular holder which after several kickers I don’t see as a complete coincidence. O’Donnell would leave just $100k in dead cap if released too. It’s time he got legitimate competition.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s a fair point re: Iupati, though while Carroll has been really good at talent evaluator he has been AWWWWWWWFUL at OL talent eval. I’m not sure whether that means Iupati is better than Carroll thinks or if he was done a year ago and brought back anyway. Seattle’s run game last year was 4th in rushing yards and 10th in ypc though. Wilson was a part of that but only a small part (342 yards). Chris Carson averaged 82 ypg and 4.4 ypc behind that line. I’d take that in a heartbeat if Iupati could bring part of that to Chicago.

@soulman Person was a backup but has started 30 games + 3 postseason games the past 2 seasons. His grades are average in both pass and run blocking if you put stock into PFF (🤷‍♂️) and really for a guy who could start but also would be really good interior depth of beaten out by the presumptive draft pick that’s an ideal kind of FA add if you can’t afford to add at the top end of the market IMO.  

I really can't buy into much that PFF does other than to accumulate stats.  Their rankings don't always make any sense and ranking OL is a tough task at best.  A guy could rank very high in one offense and move to another team playing a different scheme entirely and end up stepping on his ****.

The best thing Person has going for him is an ability to play any OL position so if the price is right maybe Pace takes a swing at him or if he isn't too dinged up maybe the kick Iupati's tires.  Like Jimmy Graham he ain't what he used to be but he was a very good OG at one time.  I really dunno.

But from what I can see the door is wide open again to add another OG in this draft.  The top guys are almost all OTs so some good interior OL will get pushed down into the 2nd and 3rd rounds where we typically score best.  I still believe Paces plan is to go heavy on the OL in this draft.

25 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think he should be significantly higher than that on the list, especially for a team likely to need to look to win on defense. O’Donnell is an average to below average NFL punter. In 2019 he was 24th in punt yard average, 22nd in net punt yardage and 16th in punts inside the 20. This wasn’t an outlier year either - he has NEVER finished in the top half of the league in net average in 6 seasons. He has had a punt blocked in 4 of his 6 seasons too, and our kickers have been underwhelming (including Gould) since he became the regular holder which after several kickers I don’t see as a complete coincidence. O’Donnell would leave just $100k in dead cap if released too. It’s time he got legitimate competition.

So we find some competition.  I'm not defending O'Donnell as much as I'm saying that we have bigger fish to fry.  Remember the guy is kicking in an outdoor stadium that experiences some of the most vicious winds in the NFL so you could almost take every P who kicks indoors off the list and rank only those who kick in outdoor stadiums and then see where he stacks up.

I'm sure that's been done internally or we'd be hosting a Punter circus this year like we hosted a PK circus last year.  I have no problem with bringing in 10 punters to compete if that will help but I also believe O'Donnell is not as bad as some believe.

Didn't think Brent Urban deserved his own thread (sorry Brent) but per him and his wife, he's re-signed on a one-year deal. 

Thought Urban did some ok things in run defense last season, guessing this isn't far away from a vet minimum deal. With Nick Williams gone, makes sense to bring Urban back for a year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RJ_11 said:

Didn't think Brent Urban deserved his own thread (sorry Brent) but per him and his wife, he's re-signed on a one-year deal. 

Thought Urban did some ok things in run defense last season, guessing this isn't far away from a vet minimum deal. With Nick Williams gone, makes sense to bring Urban back for a year.

Inexpensive depth from a guy whose played in the defense last year.  Big strong "country boy" type.

He got a deal for $1.1 mil last year prorated for his 9 games as a Bear.  Current deal is probably similar.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Inexpensive depth from a guy whose played in the defense last year.  Big strong "country boy" type.

He got a deal for $1.1 mil last year prorated for his 9 games as a Bear.  Current deal is probably similar.

IIRC, Urban is really good at batting down passes at the LOS. Won't give you much as a pass rusher but decent against the run.

1 hour ago, Tyty said:

Trading the contract 

Yeah, I bet teams are lining up to trade the Bears a 2028 5th round pick for Trey Burton.