The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

4 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Guessing we have no interest in Olsen cause he’s a one year stop gap at the position and we’re trying to be smart with limited funds. Still really bummed we didn’t show interest. 

They have to be planning a real move at the position not to at least call and have a visit.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They have to be planning a real move at the position not to at least call and have a visit.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I think everything is on the table at the position. A good receiving TE is not only a key cog in the Nagy offense but also a young QB’s best friend. Mitch’s best work has come when he had a healthy Zach Miller (2017) or Burton (2018) available to him or when Holtz and Horsted flashed (2019). TE makes the most sense as our big splash move in FA in any scenario but especially if Pace was genuine in his ride or die comments about Mitch being the guy in 2020. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed wholeheartedly. I think everything is on the table at the position. A good receiving TE is not only a key cog in the Nagy offense but also a young QB’s best friend. Mitch’s best work has come when he had a healthy Zach Miller (2017) or Burton (2018) available to him or when Holtz and Horsted flashed (2019). TE makes the most sense as our big splash move in FA in any scenario but especially if Pace was genuine in his ride or die comments about Mitch being the guy in 2020. 

I just think you have to be locked in or confident in a more substantial upgrade not to have phone call and waste an afternoon hosting one of the best TEs of the last 10 years.

I know he is old, but he wanted to come to Chicago, and he won't break the bank.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just think you have to be locked in or confident in a more substantial upgrade not to have phone call and waste an afternoon hosting one of the best TEs of the last 10 years.

I know he is old, but he wanted to come to Chicago, and he won't break the bank.

Either that or they have a good idea that they will be investing one of the 2nd rounders on a TE.

29 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But that is such a crap shoot. What if there is a run at the position, or guys are super disappointing at the combine.

I understand that completely.

But are you saying you expect them to make a Hooper/Henry type of signing? 

53 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would have reached out for sure. This just makes me think they’re long to make a HUGE offer to Hooper or Henry or have already had off the record discussions with Ebron, or are looking at a trade for maybe Njoku or Howard. Something else almost certainly has to be in the works after they were openly guarded on the Burton return timeline. Pace has flaws for sure but being thorough is generally not one of them. 

• Like 1

Washington released Paul Richardson today. He’s the kind of low risk bet-on-the-rebound FA I think we could look to bring in to add a speed element to our offense that’s been lacking. I wouldn’t want to count on him as a #2 WR per de given his injury history but on a 1 year deal for $2M or so with incentives for more I think he’d give us a deep speed element we currently lack. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Washington released Paul Richardson today. He’s the kind of low risk bet-on-the-rebound FA I think we could look to bring in to add a speed element to our offense that’s been lacking. I wouldn’t want to count on him as a #2 WR per de given his injury history but on a 1 year deal for $2M or so with incentives for more I think he’d give us a deep speed element we currently lack. 

I'd definitely be interested in him. Wasn't he the guy with some crazy catches in the Seahawks sb against the Pats?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I'd bring him in for a look and see if he still has some good wheels to him. He's got almost half a foot in height on Gabriel and if he could be had for half the price then why not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I understand that completely.

But are you saying you expect them to make a Hooper/Henry type of signing? 

I think they are intending to make a run at one of the top 3-4 guys.

They cannot tie money up in Olsen if they plan on doing that.

The timing is what screws them as Olsen will be off the market before the actual TE market sorts itself out.

• Like 1