The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He has always been on a stacked offense, which lowers his targets.

Arians has never really featured a TE.

But I agree that there is something off about his usage and targets considering what he produces per catch.

Plus he's a significantly better blocker than his counterpart Brate, so he gets to do more of the dirty work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Plus he's a significantly better blocker than his counterpart Brate, so he gets to do more of the dirty work.

He might be used the same way here, then. He'd be the best blocking TE on the team by far.

I know I keep finding the negatives here, but if OJ Howard was as dynamic and as athletic and frankly as good as some of you think, Arians would find a way to use him. The prior regime would've found a way to use him.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He might be used the same way here, then. He'd be the best blocking TE on the team by far.

I know I keep finding the negatives here, but if OJ Howard was as dynamic and as athletic and frankly as good as some of you think, Arians would find a way to use him. The prior regime would've found a way to use him.

Martz couldn’t find ways to use Greg Olsen even with no WRs of note on the squad. Arians also has 2 1500-yard receivers at his disposal. Nagy remains super reluctant to run the ball or adjust his scheme to what Mitch does best either. Guys by and large are who they are as play callers.

Howard being a good blocker and an efficient receiver isn’t a bad thing. Kelce, Kittle and Gronk are/were all good blockers too and still get plenty of targets. And FWIW the prior regime was getting more out of Howard - his 34/565/5 in 2018 was in just 10 games. He was on a 54/904/8 pace in 2018 when he got hurt. 

My biggest thing with Howard is I think he’s not only potentially better than every TE prospect available in this draft but he also has a known floor as a valuable asset we don’t currently have at a position we need a ton and I know he’s ready to contribute immediately. There isn’t a rookie we can say that about. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I tend to agree with you, but given how little cap flexibility and how few draft picks the Bears have, they probably need to take a chance on a guy like Howard with considerable upside.

12 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

16 yards per catch is really good for dynamic WRs.

The tools are there. The usage is not. I am not sure why, and I agree it is a little weird, but he produces every year.

I doubt they trade him for less than a 2 and that is too much for me.

12 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not saying he's great or anything, but I do believe he is a significant upgrade from what we have. I'm not willing to spend a second on that since it may be a one-year rental but I would be willing to deal a fourth and a player that I don't see it's a long-term fit here.

He is a plug and play player with a high floor and a pretty high ceiling. He'll likely fall into about the 10-15 range for TE value, which is a dramatic jump from last year. I'd be happy to have him here but won't make a big deal for him. Personally I'd rather try to trade back and double dip at OT and get the best TE prospect I can with the 2nd or 3rd pick the Bears have. 

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

16 yards per catch is really good for dynamic WRs.

The tools are there. The usage is not. I am not sure why, and I agree it is a little weird, but he produces every year.

I doubt they trade him for less than a 2 and that is too much for me.

I’d be ok with a 2 if I was bringing him in planning to give him 6+ targets a week and the film matches the stats. If he’s even close to maintaining his current rate of production we’d be getting an incredible bargain. At minimum we’d be buying on a guy good for 500 yards and 5 TD annually and who is both capable and willing as a blocker which is a middle of the road starter or maybe a little above at the position. IMO a middle of the road starter at a skill position is pretty solid value for a mid-2, especially when we get to buy it knowing that’s the floor and there no Shaheen potential. Howard still just 25 and has an absurdly high ceiling, and the only thing that may be keeping him from it is target share. And, if we bring him in and he’s a disaster we’re out for 2 years and $8M which is far less than a FA miss at the position. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If the Bears are going to be in on Hooper, Henry, Ebron, I understand not worrying or reaching out to Olsen.

If they aren’t, then it makes little sense. More Pace hubris expecting his failed signing and draft pick at TE to produce.

If he doesn't make a move at TE, he needs to be fired.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If the Bears are going to be in on Hooper, Henry, Ebron, I understand not worrying or reaching out to Olsen.

If they aren’t, then it makes little sense. More Pace hubris expecting his failed signing and draft pick at TE to produce.

I love Olsen but he has missed 18 games over the last 3 seasons and is going to be 35 this season so I'm not confident he can rebound physically. Plus he still got a $7 million deal.

Hard pass.

That being siad Pace absolutely needs to make at least one move at TE, Holtz I like as a 2 but no way is he a starter right now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I can’t foresee a situation where his complete plan at TE is the status quo or one where it’s status quo even until draft day. 

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I agree, but who knows if they can land someone.

When money talks they can land just about anyone.  Then you have Ebron throwing out a couple hints on social media that he'd be interested in coming to Chicago. 

Plus the FA TE market is pretty robust this year so Bears should be able to land someone half decent.

• Like 1