The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

19 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If the Bears are going to be in on Hooper, Henry, Ebron, I understand not worrying or reaching out to Olsen.

If they aren’t, then it makes little sense. More Pace hubris expecting his failed signing and draft pick at TE to produce.

I think the reason why they didn't reach out to Olsen is he is not a Y TE.  He's a U from the U.  Pace probably couldn't justify in his own head paying Burton 8 mil and Olsen 7 mil when they both play the exact same position.  I hate to say it but right now both Burton and Olsen are injury prone, and Pace said in his press conference "you can't make the club in the tub."  He's gonna stay away from someone with a history of nagging injuries where they miss time.  I think you will see the Bears bring in a low cost Y type end and draft a U to eventually replace Burton.

11 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

I think the reason why they didn't reach out to Olsen is he is not a Y TE.  He's a U from the U.  Pace probably couldn't justify in his own head paying Burton 8 mil and Olsen 7 mil when they both play the exact same position.  I hate to say it but right now both Burton and Olsen are injury prone, and Pace said in his press conference "you can't make the club in the tub."  He's gonna stay away from someone with a history of nagging injuries where they miss time.  I think you will see the Bears bring in a low cost Y type end and draft a U to eventually replace Burton.

And who are the upcoming FA's that would fall into the Y type of end?

17 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

Henry’s injury history would probably fall into that category too. 

15 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

I hope I'm wrong but you might see names like Blake Bell, Ben Koyack, and Nick Vannett as the new Bear tight end

I mean as depth pieces I wouldn't mind those guys but Bears should be aiming higher.

Are those really the top Y-tight ends that will be available in FA or just who you thin Bears will target..if not who are the actual top guys and how do you differentiate between the Y and the U positions?

Edited by topwop1

Just from what I've read the Y TE is more inline blocker, who seals the edge, and helps more in the run game.  They don't really cause mismatches or threaten the seams of a defense.  They are more your safety valve receivers in the passing game.  The U TE are more the receivers, the smaller guys who cause mismatch problems.  The more dynamic guys who put up the stat numbers.  Usually your all-pro TE are a combination of both and could play either one just as effective.  That's why they get the big contracts.  You're exactly right though those guys I mentioned are the ones I expect the Bears to target in free agency.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

PFF Predicts the Bears sign Eric Ebron for 3 years 22 million.

At this point, knowing he hits the market at a lower rate than the top guys he is my most realistic target.

Some of their numbers were out of whack IMO. They had Hunter Henry getting a 1-year deal for $9M in NE which doesn’t even make sense. 

5 hours ago, GBHalas said:

Just from what I've read the Y TE is more inline blocker, who seals the edge, and helps more in the run game.  They don't really cause mismatches or threaten the seams of a defense.  They are more your safety valve receivers in the passing game.  The U TE are more the receivers, the smaller guys who cause mismatch problems.  The more dynamic guys who put up the stat numbers.  Usually your all-pro TE are a combination of both and could play either one just as effective.  That's why they get the big contracts.  You're exactly right though those guys I mentioned are the ones I expect the Bears to target in free agency.

Well looks like we got our Y TE in Demetrius Harris. Now time to find a U TE that will take over for Burton when he's gone after next season....if he even plays.

5 hours ago, ColGerBear said:

I mentioned earlier to offer a 5th to the Titans for Firkser who's a ERFA. He did not see much use in the regular season but in the post season he had some real nice plays.

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-agree-to-one-year-contract-extension-with-te-anthony-firkser

Firkser signed a 1-year deal with TEN last week and is no longer and ERFA for 2020. 

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Any one else suspect a good Chance Ebron might mail it in for Bears if signed? 

Hasn’t this guy been generally disappointing most of his career and had one good season? 

I admit I don’t have a lot of evidence, just a hunch.  

He was a disappointment as a top 10 pick.

But to put it in context as a disappointment he has produced Trey Burton's career 2018 year pretty much every single year.

I did not expect Trey Burton to mail it in.