The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

14 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He was 100% throughout every practice and game, never complained, never had anything worked on and all of a sudden packed it in for the year in a contract year? None of that seems supicious?

I get it completely. I don't think anyone looks forward to surgery, but maybe he figured forget the season and the QB was hurting his chances of helping his FA financials.

Well he said he was battling the ankle injury since beginning of the year and he elected to have surgery in the last month of the season.  If his plan was to avoid potentially hurting his stock for upcoming free agency then don't you think he would have elected to sit out much earlier?  Plus like I said, you don't just get ankle surgery because you want to.  That's just a ridiculous thought.

If you want to talk about his play and inconsistencies on the field that's fine but questioning his sportsmanship and heart because the team thinks he could have toughed it out for the whole season is pretty lame.

I doubt he gets that big of a contract anyway.  I think it's a complete non story.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Well he said he was battling the ankle injury since beginning of the year and he elected to have surgery in the last month of the season.  If his plan was to avoid potentially hurting his stock for upcoming free agency then don't you think he would have elected to sit out much earlier?  Plus like I said, you don't just get ankle surgery because you want to.  That's just a ridiculous thought.

If you want to talk about his play and inconsistencies on the field that's fine but questioning his sportsmanship and heart because the team thinks he could have toughed it out for the whole season is pretty lame.

I doubt he gets that big of a contract anyway.  I think it's a complete non story.

If you think electing to dip out on your team in the heat of a playoff run because of an injury that you never discussed isn't shady/suspicious, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Agree to disagree

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

If you think electing to dip out on your team in the heat of a playoff run because of an injury that you never discussed isn't shady/suspicious, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Agree to disagree

It was 11 games into the season. He had surgery, so clearly there was something wrong. 

I do not have an issue with a guy looking after his best interests, the team is doing the same thing.

An injured player is suppose to kill themselves in 5 meaningless game with no future guarantees from his team? Ebron's #1 responsibility is to his family and his ability to earn. If the Colts wanted him to play through injury in those games then they had the option of extending him and giving him the security.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Agree to disagree

Ya I'm still not following.  Why would he purposely want to dip out on his team when they were competing for PO spot?  If they were 4-8 at the time then you could make more of a case of it being suspicious. 

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ya I'm still not following.  Why would he purposely want to dip out on his team when they were competing for PO spot?  If they were 4-8 at the time then you could make more of a case of it being suspicious. 

Because he needed surgery and waiting to the offseason to get it would have made him "not ready" for free agency.

Which would have affected his ability to earn and take care of his family.

This is not Remember Titans, this is grown men and their profession.

If he had not gotten surgery then I would have questions.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It was 11 games into the season. He had surgery, so clearly there was something wrong. 

I do not have an issue with a guy looking after his best interests, the team is doing the same thing.

An injured player is suppose to kill themselves in 5 meaningless game with no future guarantees from his team? Ebron's #1 responsibility is to his family and his ability to earn. If the Colts wanted him to play through injury in those games then they had the option of extending him and giving him the security.

I mean... the teams looking into signing him will review the med records. They’ll tell the story on whether or not the surgery was necessary. If they think he’s a quitter then he won’t be signed anyway. 

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Because he needed surgery and waiting to the offseason to get it would have made him "not ready" for free agency.

I understand that completely.  

I'm just replying to the others saying it is a suspicious move.  It's not suspicious at all.  He did what was right for him and got the surgery required.

Just now, topwop1 said:

I understand that completely.  

I'm just replying to the others saying it is a suspicious move.  It's not suspicious at all.  He did what was right for him and got the surgery required.

Agreed.

His job is to look after his interest because the team is looking after their interest.

If he had played in week 14 and shattered his leg, he would have never heard from the Colts again.

The exact same thing happened with Kelechi Osemele and the Jets.

The Jets wanted him to play through a shoulder injury and he chose to have surgery. I do not fault him either for looking after himself, because the Jets were going to use him up and chuck him in the offseason.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Because after a good first few weeks, it turned to **** when Brissett turned to ****. Continuing to play and not do anything productive would've looked bad on him, statistically.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If he would've played out the year and had a big end of the season, you would've had questions? I doubt it.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The exact same thing happened with Kelechi Osemele and the Jets.

The Jets wanted him to play through a shoulder injury and he chose to have surgery. I do not fault him either for looking after himself, because the Jets were going to use him up and chuck him in the offseason.

That scenario seemed different. From what I understand, the Jets knew about his injury; they wanted him to play through it. Ebron, out of nowhere, declared himself unable to play. 

54 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

That scenario seemed different. From what I understand, the Jets knew about his injury; they wanted him to play through it. Ebron, out of nowhere, declared himself unable to play. 

That’s the Colts’ side of it. Ebron says they knew, hence the Osemele comp. Teams mislead the injury report all the time. Players lie about their injuries. The main point is that WE don’t know one way or the other, but the medical records will tell the full story to the team. Can’t fake diagnostic tests or surgery film. It’s preemptive to draw any “quitter” criticisms of him without more info (though the internet seldom cares about facts...). I agree with those who say nobody is having that surgery for no reason, but especially not heading into FA. Surgery raises more red flags for him than struggling through with an underperforming QB. 

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Just want to point out that Ebron has one of the worst Catch Rates of any TE in football over the past few seasons.

Yeah, reading the argument in this thread is fun because I agree with both sides, but let's not forget this dude drops passes like nobody's business.

Give him Jared Cook's deal in 2019 (2 years, $15M, $8M guaranteed). It will be a lot of money tied into the TE position for 2020, but I'm of the opinion we are drafting another one and likely will release Burton after the 2020 season.

Biggs

“THE BEARS HAVE A HUGE INVESTMENT IN FORMER FIRST-ROUND PICK ROQUAN SMITH, AND THAT MAKES IT SOMEWHAT UNLIKELY THE TEAM BUCKS UP TO KEEP TREVATHAN. KWIATKOWSKI ALSO COULD MAKE MORE ON THE OPEN MARKET THAN THE BEARS WANT TO PAY. I’M NOT SURE WHO IS TALKING ABOUT THIS, BUT I’D RECOMMEND THEY CLOSELY RE-EXAMINE WHAT HAPPENED OFFENSIVELY FOR THE BEARS IN 2019 AND CONSIDER THE BENEFIT OF USING AVAILABLE RESOURCES ON THAT SIDE OF THE BALL.”

Edited by WindyCity

8 hours ago, G08 said:

Yeah, reading the argument in this thread is fun because I agree with both sides, but let's not forget this dude drops passes like nobody's business.

He’ll fit right in then. 🤦‍♂️ Seriously though I’d take the drops with the production. This isn’t Fendi Onubon (mention caused me to almost puke up my coffee). He’s not ideal but he may be the most realistic viable option for clear improvement.

Depending on what happens with the other guys set to be UFA or potentially cut the Cook contract may be a realistic one, and I’d definitely be fine with him basically year-to-year. My suspicion is that by the open of FA the market will dictate that we’ll need to give him more of a 3-4 year deal with a 2-year guarantee.