The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

21 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That says high end backup to me (Dalton?) and not a walk-in replacement like Carr, Teddy, Tannehill or the HOFs. 

I read it the same way. Maybe they view Carr as “competition” but the investment would make him more than that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Far be it for people to have opinions that differ from our own on a message board... 

Have a differing opinion. Don’t jump into a conversation and hand out a bunch of attitude when you don’t understand the point that is being made.

-someone said that Pace has been our best GM in awhile.

-the fact is that unless Pace goes on a real winning tear over the next 5 years, Jerry Angelos résumé will be far superior.

That has nothing to do with me wanting to fire Pace or being unhappy. That is a fact.

Edited by WindyCity

38 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We were comparing him to Jerry Angelo and Angelo’s résumé. 

He is going to have to start winning a lot to match what Angelo did as GM. He has 6 years to make a Super Bowl and an NFC Title game to match Angelo.

So save me the snarky comments. The only thing that makes me unhappy is having to explain simple stuff to people on the internet.

Oh Lord forgive me for challenging your vastly superior knowledge oh Great Football Kahuna.

Look, you may have played a little Canidian ball but I've been watching Bears games since you were in diapers or quite possibly even before that so I do "get it" and what I get most is your dislike for Pace which tends to cloud your views so much that most everything regarding him or his decisions comes out as a negative.  You could try being just a little less biased and more balanced every once in awhile.

You're unhappy with him, you'd like to see him fired, you believe he phuc'd up the pick of Mitch over Mahomes, etc, ect., etc.  Need I go on?

So don't tell me the ONLY thing you're unhappy about is trying to consistently ram your own point of view home when others including me aren't always buying it.  And if you feel you're spending too much time explaining stop.  No need to keep doing that on my account.  I do get it brother it's just that I don't always agree with you.  It's really that simple.

48 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Have a differing opinion. Don’t jump into a conversation and hand out a bunch of attitude when you don’t understand the point that is being made.

-someone said that Pace has been our best GM in awhile.

-the fact is that unless Pace goes on a real winning tear over the next 5 years, Jerry Angelos résumé will be far superior.

That has nothing to do with me wanting to fire Pace or being unhappy. That is a fact.

It sure is....YOUR facts as usual.

I got an idea.  Lets both pretend the other isn't here then we can both be happier.  xD

1 hour ago, soulman said:

And that's what it comes down to brother.....perceptions and perceptions aren't always reality.

Is Mitch a complete whiff or are we just comparing him to Mahomes and saying well Pace phuc'd up when most everyone had Mitch ranked ahead of Mahomes anyway?  I'll only agree to so far Mitch is a major disappointment and until I see how well he progresses in 2020 or doesn't progress at all I'm not ready to label him a bust just yet.

Look at Tannehill.  Six years of average or below average results in Miami and all of a sudden he takes his team to the AFCC game.

I'm not advising we spend 6 years waiting to see if Mitch finally "gets it" and can lead his team deep into the playoffs or to a championship but I think we can wait out one last shot as long as we have a strong relief pitcher on the bench.  How Pace handles this challenge will be another test where he can score and A or an F or somewhere in between.

I don't want to get into the Parkey deal 'cause it's ancient history.  We don't even know who else might have been available back in the fall of 2018 and no matter what we did we were stuck with Parkey's costs.  I never liked his lack of consistency even from before we signed him but remember, he did make the first kick.  It was the second one after the time out he blew.

I'm not saying Pace isn't accountable for some of his mistakes but let he who is without any cast the first stone.  Or has everyone here led a perfect God like existence?  Not me that's for sure.

PS; And the Giants couldn't afford to keep him despite that fact that he was 10-10 on FGs and 20-23 on XP.  The bottom line is he's been a 90% + accurate PK ever since we let him go so if you would have been the GM who released him that would be a black mark against you as well.  I'm sorry but releasing your top scorer and one of the most accurate PKs in NFL history was not a good move and I think even Pace would admit it was a mistake.

Trubisky was 28th or worse in almost every statistical category last year. Yes I'd say he's a complete whiff so far.

Tannehill is often injured and played for a horses*** organization. Despite that was much better than Trubisky has been. Not a fair comparison.

22 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Trubisky was 28th or worse in almost every statistical category last year. Yes I'd say he's a complete whiff so far.

Tannehill is often injured and played for a horses*** organization. Despite that was much better than Trubisky has been. Not a fair comparison.

And yet the year before Trubisky was selected for the Pro Bowl so which Mitch is which?

It's kinda tough to cherry pick only last year and not look at all three.  Or the last two if we want to discard the Fox era.  The funny thing is no one around here seemed to think he was a whiff after the 2018 season so again....perceptions do change.

As for Tannehill his career is more than twice as long as Mitch's but if we take just his last two under Nagy then Mitch's rating is a bit higher than Tannehill's was in 6 years at Miami and he never missed a game his first four years.  Then 13 of 16 in 2016 and out for all of 2017 then returning to start again in 2018 and again in 2019 with Tenn.  With Miami he started 88 of 96 games so he was mostly available just not all that good but still not horrible.

I believe Tannehill at age 31 is hitting his peak now so we'll see if he can maintain his level of play in the future because I'm pretty certain Tenn will re-sign him.  I don't believe Mitch has hit his peak yet but what I do wonder is if he's ever gonna be able to do it playing in this offense.  It might be too complex for him and there were signs of that this past year.  Now the question is can he catch up or can Nagy alter his approach so it dovetails more with what Mitch can execute well.  That's what were gonna find out soon enough.

9 minutes ago, soulman said:

And yet the year before Trubisky was selected for the Pro Bowl so which Mitch is which?

It's kinda tough to cherry pick only last year and not look at all three.  Or the last two if we want to discard the Fox era.  The funny thing is no one around here seemed to think he was a whiff after the 2018 season so again....perceptions do change.

As for Tannehill his career is more than twice as long as Mitch's but if we take just his last two under Nagy then Mitch's rating is a bit higher than Tannehill's was in 6 years at Miami and he never missed a game his first four years.  Then 13 of 16 in 2016 and out for all of 2017 then returning to start again in 2018 and again in 2019 with Tenn.  With Miami he started 88 of 96 games so he was mostly available just not all that good but still not horrible.

I believe Tannehill at age 31 is hitting his peak now so we'll see if he can maintain his level of play in the future because I'm pretty certain Tenn will re-sign him.  I don't believe Mitch has hit his peak yet but what I do wonder is if he's ever gonna be able to do it playing in this offense.  It might be too complex for him and there were signs of that this past year.  Now the question is can he catch up or can Nagy alter his approach so it dovetails more with what Mitch can execute well.  That's what were gonna find out soon enough.

You lost me at "Pro Bowl."

Agree to disagree, then.

Ya know....I'm beginning to recall now why I've stayed away from posting here for so long but it's all coming back to me now.

Too many posters livin' their own realities.

beardown -  Mitch was selected to the 2019 Pro Bowl so how did you get lost on that?  Here, I posted a link so you can find your way back from being lost. https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/1/21/18363751/bears-qb-mitch-trubisky-to-play-in-pro-bowl  .  Whether or not he deserved to be isn't part of the discussion.  And Ryan Tannehill was in Miami pretty much what Mitch has been here.  Talented but very inconsistent.  Maybe in Tenn he finally got into an offense that works for him and maybe that's what Mitch needs as well. ??? I dunno

Windy -  What I believe is that you are looking at it from a completely different point of view than I am which is no surprise to me at all because we seldom seen things from the same perspective.  You will always grab whatever stats you can find (misleading or not) that will support your point of view and discard any that won't along with all subjective judgement.  If that works for you brother be my guest but it doesn't work that way for me.  I'm looking at how each built their teams back up from the ashes into winners. Both added key defenders that helped rebuild a porous Bears defense and both also spent 1st round picks on questionable QBs and pass rushers.

Now.....please excuse me while I return to my reality in which these facts exist; Pace is the Bears GM, Matt Nagy is the Bears HC, and Mitch Trubisky is our QB and comparisons to others while being topics for debate don't mean dog doo doo on 2/28/2020.  I'm just here to deal with the here and now and not "wishes are just fishes we have not yet caught".

We now return you to our regular scheduled programming.

43 minutes ago, soulman said:

Ya know....I'm beginning to recall now why I've stayed away from posting here for so long but it's all coming back to me now.

Too many posters livin' their own realities.

beardown -  Mitch was selected to the 2019 Pro Bowl so how did you get lost on that?  Here, I posted a link so you can find your way back from being lost. https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/1/21/18363751/bears-qb-mitch-trubisky-to-play-in-pro-bowl  .  Whether or not he deserved to be isn't part of the discussion.  And Ryan Tannehill was in Miami pretty much what Mitch has been here.  Talented but very inconsistent.  Maybe in Tenn he finally got into an offense that works for him and maybe that's what Mitch needs as well. ??? I dunno

Windy -  What I believe is that you are looking at it from a completely different point of view than I am which is no surprise to me at all because we seldom seen things from the same perspective.  You will always grab whatever stats you can find (misleading or not) that will support your point of view and discard any that won't along with all subjective judgement.  If that works for you brother be my guest but it doesn't work that way for me.  I'm looking at how each built their teams back up from the ashes into winners. Both added key defenders that helped rebuild a porous Bears defense and both also spent 1st round picks on questionable QBs and pass rushers.

Now.....please excuse me while I return to my reality in which these facts exist; Pace is the Bears GM, Matt Nagy is the Bears HC, and Mitch Trubisky is our QB and comparisons to others while being topics for debate don't mean dog doo doo on 2/28/2020.  I'm just here to deal with the here and now and not "wishes are just fishes we have not yet caught".

We now return you to our regular scheduled programming.

Yeah I know that he went to the Pro Bowl. I also know that's meaningless. Whether or not he deserved it "isn't part of the discussion?" xDUh yes, it absolutely is.

Tannehill needed an offense with a dominant RB, a great WR and a mauling OL. Every QB would look good there, so good for him & if that's what Mitch needs, best of luck to him elsewhere because most teams don't have all of that & isn't close to being good enough to raise the level of play around him.