The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Biggs

“THE BEARS HAVE A HUGE INVESTMENT IN FORMER FIRST-ROUND PICK ROQUAN SMITH, AND THAT MAKES IT SOMEWHAT UNLIKELY THE TEAM BUCKS UP TO KEEP TREVATHAN. KWIATKOWSKI ALSO COULD MAKE MORE ON THE OPEN MARKET THAN THE BEARS WANT TO PAY. I’M NOT SURE WHO IS TALKING ABOUT THIS, BUT I’D RECOMMEND THEY CLOSELY RE-EXAMINE WHAT HAPPENED OFFENSIVELY FOR THE BEARS IN 2019 AND CONSIDER THE BENEFIT OF USING AVAILABLE RESOURCES ON THAT SIDE OF THE BALL.”

Holy mega font Batman... 

I keep going back and forth on DT. They definitely value his leadership, but on the field there wasn’t a noticeable drop off when he went out. I’m not opposed to bringing back KPL to pair with Roquan and pairing a draft pick. I agree Kwiatkowski is probably gonna get a solid offer elsewhere.

Depending on DT’s ask and market, gun to my head I think KPL back at like 2/5 and a draft pick is the way I’d go. Doing so gives us probably $3M extra over bringing back DT or Kwiatkowski that we can roll into a starter salary elsewhere. Iggy and Woods aren’t really in the conversation for defensive reps but are fine as 4th and 5th guys who are solid ST. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I just do not see them doing it.

If everyone got fired and it was new GM and new coach in 2020 do you think Floyd stays?  I think there is no way.  I think they drop underperforming higher paid players with no sentiment.

I think as a GM you have to think like you would if you were coming on job fresh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I just do not see them doing it.

I don’t either, but I definitely think they’ll do something to reduce that cap number. Keeping him at like $7-8M annually on a 3-4 year deal and adding a situational edge rusher with the savings and also drafting a guy and I’d be satisfied. I don’t think Floyd has to go per se - I just can’t see how they can keep him at $13.2M for 2020 without seriously limiting their ability to make necessary upgrades in FA. 

35 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t either, but I definitely think they’ll do something to reduce that cap number. Keeping him at like $7-8M annually on a 3-4 year deal and adding a situational edge rusher with the savings and also drafting a guy and I’d be satisfied. I don’t think Floyd has to go per se - I just can’t see how they can keep him at $13.2M for 2020 without seriously limiting their ability to make necessary upgrades in FA. 

You are going to have to make it worth his while by guaranteeing more than the 13 million.

If you double the guarantees that might be worth while.

5 years 45/26 guaranteed

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You are going to have to make it worth his while by guaranteeing more than the 13 million.

If you double the guarantees that might be worth while.

5 years 45/26 guaranteed

Yeah, that doesn’t appeal to me at all. Maybe he gets to keep the full $13M guarantee if it’s part of a 2 year $16M deal, but if he were a FA tomorrow would he get $13M guaranteed from anyone? I don’t see it at least as a 3-4 edge. Pace would have to leverage against Floyd with the alternative to a renegotiated deal meaning him being released and having no guarantee at all but he should be able to get that number down. I have serious questions about his willingness to do so, but he should. A team with as much to add as we do already paying $26M to Mack can’t realistically justify a $13.2M cap hit to an edge rusher who doesn’t get to the QB when the compromise is keeping hole(s) at other key positions where the sum of the parts would be better if the $ were spent elsewhere. 

For a guy touted for his pass defense contributions, Floyd has 9 PD and 1 INT in 54 games, and at least a few of those are going to be knock downs at the line when he’s rushing the passer. By contrast, Roquan has 7 in just 28 games. Trevathan has 16 in the same timespan in less games played. Kwiatkowski has 8 in the same time span and he’s only played about half the snaps in that time window. Different position, but also lesser touted pass defenders too (especially Kwiat). If Floyd’s true value is what he does in space and not off the edge why are his stats so underwhelming in pass defense? When Anthony Barr got paid (the “comp” often made for Floyd) he had 20 PD after 4 years. 

We’ve talked about cutting him and trading him, but if Floyd won’t renegotiate to a palatable better number the sides could also agree to the Bears rescinding his option and letting him scour the market for the best deal and give the Bears the option to match similar to what Fuller was allowed to do (they could also do this independently of course). If he’s too pricey then he goes into the comp pick formula for next year and we can use that $ to get replacements for him or others in FA and if he finds a longer deal we’re okay with then we can keep him. Given what Floyd is and isn’t for his cost this should 100% be on the table too. 

Forget what Floyd wants - paying him $13.2M for just this season just can’t be an option here. Not if the team is gonna make the adds it needs to to improve this offseason. 

• Like 1

Tony Pauline

Speculation here in Mobile says the Arizona Cardinals, Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks are teams expected to court Hooper. Don’t leave out the Washington Redskins, who may be ready to move on from Jordan Reed who has struggled with injuries.

Robert Quinn is a free agent come March, but if the Dallas Cowboys have their way, he may not hit the market. I’m told Jerry Jones has been aggressive in letting Quinn know that he wants the pass rusher to be playing in a Cowboys uniform next year

PFN Insider Ben Allbright is reporting that the Miami Dolphins are expected to place a heavy emphasis on the offensive line in both free agency and the NFL Draft.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/latest-nfl-news-and-rumors-from-mobile-at-the-2020-senior-bowl/

I don’t know how the Cowboys can afford anyone in FA if they intend to keep both Dak and Cooper. They have several guys already rostered making top tier money with big guarantees. 

Unless, of course, the salary cap is largely a mirage... 

It would surprise me to see GB target Hooper given they just invested pretty highly in Sternberger in last year’s draft. I think they’d be looking more WR than TE. 

Quinn is a guy I’d LOVE to pair with Mack but I expect he’s going to have several suitors. I’d be here for giving him or Markus Golden most of Floyd’s money, but dead horses and all. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t know how the Cowboys can afford anyone in FA if they intend to keep both Dak and Cooper. They have several guys already rostered making top tier money with big guarantees. 

It would surprise me to see GB target Hooper given they just invested pretty highly in Sternberger in last year’s draft. I think they’d be looking more WR than TE. 

Quinn is a guy I’d LOVE to pair with Mack but I expect he’s going to have several suitors. I’d be here for giving him or Markus Golden most of Floyd’s money, but dead horses and all. 

A lot of people have made that claim over the years.  

Cowboys did get penalized once for violating the cap some years ago.  I think I read somewhere that cap violations like that are impossible now because NFL has to approve all transactions to make sure they are within cap rules.

20 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah, that doesn’t appeal to me at all. Maybe he gets to keep the full $13M guarantee if it’s part of a 2 year $16M deal, but if he were a FA tomorrow would he get $13M guaranteed from anyone? I don’t see it at least as a 3-4 edge. Pace would have to leverage against Floyd with the alternative to a renegotiated deal meaning him being released and having no guarantee at all but he should be able to get that number down. I have serious questions about his willingness to do so, but he should. A team with as much to add as we do already paying $26M to Mack can’t realistically justify a $13.2M cap hit to an edge rusher who doesn’t get to the QB when the compromise is keeping hole(s) at other key positions where the sum of the parts would be better if the $ were spent elsewhere. 

For a guy touted for his pass defense contributions, Floyd has 9 PD and 1 INT in 54 games, and at least a few of those are going to be knock downs at the line when he’s rushing the passer. By contrast, Roquan has 7 in just 28 games. Trevathan has 16 in the same timespan in less games played. Kwiatkowski has 8 in the same time span and he’s only played about half the snaps in that time window. Different position, but also lesser touted pass defenders too (especially Kwiat). If Floyd’s true value is what he does in space and not off the edge why are his stats so underwhelming in pass defense? When Anthony Barr got paid (the “comp” often made for Floyd) he had 20 PD after 4 years. 

We’ve talked about cutting him and trading him, but if Floyd won’t renegotiate to a palatable better number the sides could also agree to the Bears rescinding his option and letting him scour the market for the best deal and give the Bears the option to match similar to what Fuller was allowed to do (they could also do this independently of course). If he’s too pricey then he goes into the comp pick formula for next year and we can use that $ to get replacements for him or others in FA and if he finds a longer deal we’re okay with then we can keep him. Given what Floyd is and isn’t for his cost this should 100% be on the table too. 

Forget what Floyd wants - paying him $13.2M for just this season just can’t be an option here. Not if the team is gonna make the adds it needs to to improve this offseason. 

There has to some incentive for him to sign it.

Yes, he would get offers with more than 13 guaranteed on a multi year deal

I am with you. I would pull the option and see what happens. 13.2 million is too much for a coverage OLB. But I do not think the Bears are going to pull it, which means they need to negotiate with the 13 million as part of the conversation.

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

They have 60 million in cap space, some reasonable cuts to make, and I am not sure if the 30% rule applies to internal free agents or not.