The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am just thankful I didnt change the Ryan Pace hiding avatar.

It came back into style super quick.

I'm convinced you're a freaking curse. From that Trestman avatar to this nonsense.

Change our mojo, Windy! 

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm convinced you're a freaking curse. From that Trestman avatar to this nonsense.

Change our mojo, Windy! 

I wish it wasn’t the case. I thought Pace had gotten me for about 16 months.

Then he announced himself as Jerry Angelo 2.0 without the Super Bowl appearance,

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I wish it wasn’t the case. I thought Pace had gotten me for about 16 months.

Then he announced himself as Jerry Angelo 2.0 without the Super Bowl appearance,

CHANGE THE AVATAR! I'm starting a gofundme page to get you to do it. I'm convinced of it bro... you're the cause of our pain xD

• Like 3

On 1/24/2020 at 1:54 PM, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think anyone thinks he’s not an asset. He is. He’s a solid player, and maybe even a good player. He’s just not an effective pass rusher at a position where we really need him to be despite being paid as one for 2020. I’d love for Floyd to be a Bear in 2020 but at $13.2M the ROI is really underwhelming, especially given our cap situation, and for the good of the team it would make more sense to use that $13M more effectively. 

I really look at him the same way I do Amukamara. Both solid players who don’t hurt you but who are are grossly overpaid for what they bring to the table relative to the position. Cutting both (or rescinding Floyd’s option) would create $22M in cap space. I have no doubt whatsoever we could effectively replace both and upgrade at theirs or other positions for that. With that cap space you could sign Clowney if you wanted to and still have room to replace Prince with a veteran starter without touching any of the cap space we already have. 

Not from what I've read. According to most, it seems like most believe Floyd is easily expendable. 

Floyd might be getting paid THIS year a little more than he's worth but it's basically only a one-year prove-it deal and EDGE players aren't cheap. You would be hard-pressed to find a replacement who fits this scheme with a lower risk contract than him (save for the draft or trade).

And Clowney would be expensive and is best-suited for a 4-3, always has been since college. So he doesn't fit the bill either imo, nor does he wanna play in a 3-4 defense. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 10:43 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

Not from what I've read. According to most, it seems like most believe Floyd is easily expendable. 

Floyd might be getting paid THIS year a little more than he's worth but it's basically only a one-year prove-it deal and EDGE players aren't cheap. You would be hard-pressed to find a replacement who fits this scheme with a lower risk contract than him (save for the draft or trade).

And Clowney would be expensive and is best-suited for a 4-3, always has been since college. So he doesn't fit the bill either imo, nor does he wanna play in a 3-4 defense. 

Elite edge rushers aren’t cheap, and I wouldn’t sign Clowney. My point was with moving on from Floyd and Prince you could sign any edge rusher out there. We almost certainly aren’t in the market for the next guy getting Dee Ford money but we could very much be in the market for the next Preston Smith level contract (4/52 for $13M AAV) or a combination of guys collectively approaching his number if we move on from Floyd. 

I have zero doubt we could find a 1- year prove it deal for a guy just coming off his first contract or an aging but still productive vet on a 1-year deal for well less than $13M. Hell I’d wager we could add one of each of those guys and still not be at Floyd’s $13M and get far more bang for our buck. The Bruce Irvins and Mario Addisons of the world are coming in somewhere in that $4-7M range and provide pass rush that far exceeds what we get from Floyd. I’d pair one of them with a younger guy with some success but who hasn’t broken out yet like Emmanuel Ogbah and then draft a guy too and move on from Floyd, Lynch and Irving all together. 

You mentioned scheme fit. Floyd’s biggest problem in our defense IMO is that he’s miscast as an edge rusher. IMO he’s best fit as a 4-3 WLB where his speed and athleticism are put into that Lance Briggs / Derrick Brooks role. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Elite edge rushers aren’t cheap, and I wouldn’t sign Clowney. My point was with moving on from Floyd and Prince you could sign any edge rusher out there. We almost certainly aren’t in the market for the next guy getting Dee Ford money but we could very much be in the market for the next Preston Smith level contract (4/52 for $13M AAV) or a combination of guys collectively approaching his number if we move on from Floyd. 

I have zero doubt we could find a 1- year prove it deal for a guy just coming off his first contract or an aging but still productive vet on a 1-year deal for well less than $13M. Hell I’d wager we could add one of each of those guys and still not be at Floyd’s $13M and get far more bang for our buck. The Bruce Irvins and Mario Addisons of the world are coming in somewhere in that $4-7M range and provide pass rush that far exceeds what we get from Floyd. I’d pair one of them with a younger guy with some success but who hasn’t broken out yet like Emmanuel Ogbah and then draft a guy too and move on from Floyd, Lynch and Irving all together. 

You mentioned scheme fit. Floyd’s biggest problem in our defense IMO is that he’s miscast as an edge rusher. IMO he’s best fit as a 4-3 WLB where his speed and athleticism are put into that Lance Briggs / Derrick Brooks role. 

I would add that what is point of another prove it year for Floyd as a 3-4 OLB? He clearly isn’t that good at it at this point. Not like he is 21. 

22 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree he would fit better in a 4-3 defense, but he does a lot more in this defense than people give him credit for because people are infatuated with "sacks" for example (without realizing how each player gets those sacks---are they coverage sacks? Are they a by-product of the system (Barrett--Bowles blitz heavy system))? Are they only getting those sacks because of another player on the team (Fowler getting free and only asking to beat a RB because of Donald)? etc, etc.

Yes, he's getting paid more than he should (which can be adjusted before March IIRC), but there are not many other EDGE players who are going to perform better at a lower risk. Bring in a vet with a 1-year life span and minimal to no gain an only buries potential starters and hinders progression in the future.

I would not be opposed to drafting an edge player but at the same time, we have too many holes to fill on offense to even risk it. Right now, the defense the only thing holding this team's head above water and so I'm opposed to any move that could potentially hurt us on that side of the ball.

For those wanting the team to rescind the 5th year option for Floyd and let him walk as a FA, here are the upcoming FA's who could replace him.  Out of these guys who would be a better fit for this D at a similar or lower price tag?

- Jadaveon Clowney

- Bud Dupree

- Robert Quinn

- Shaq Barrett

- Everson Griffen

- Ezekial Ansah

- Vic Beasley

- Jabaal Sheard

- Dante Fowler Jr.

- Jason Pierre Paul

- Mario Addison

- Terrell Suggs

- Bruce Irvin

- Markus Golden

- Shaq Lawson

- Barkevious Mingo

- Jamie Collins

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

For those wanting the team to rescind the 5th year option for Floyd and let him walk as a FA, here are the upcoming FA's who could replace him.  Out of these guys who would be a better fit for this D at a similar or lower price tag?

- Jadaveon Clowney

- Bud Dupree

- Robert Quinn

- Shaq Barrett

- Everson Griffen

- Ezekial Ansah

- Vic Beasley

- Jabaal Sheard

- Dante Fowler Jr.

- Jason Pierre Paul

- Mario Addison

- Terrell Suggs

- Bruce Irvin

- Markus Golden

- Shaq Lawson

- Barkevious Mingo

- Jamie Collins

Similar or lower price tag to what his 5th year option is? Probably the bolded guys.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

- Jadaveon Clowney

- Bud Dupree

- Robert Quinn

- Shaq Barrett

- Everson Griffen

- Ezekial Ansah

- Vic Beasley

- Jabaal Sheard

- Dante Fowler Jr.

- Jason Pierre Paul

- Mario Addison

- Terrell Suggs

- Bruce Irvin

- Markus Golden

- Shaq Lawson

- Barkevious Mingo

- Jamie Collins

Irvin or Addison as situational rushers paired with a rookie appeals to me quite a bit and they probably come at around $7M or so annually. I’d LOOOOOVE Markus Golden at a Preston Smith like number which would basically be a dollar for dollar trade off from Floyd. Quinn would be awesome at that price as well but I’m guessing he ends up in Dallas.