The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

16 minutes ago, soulman said:

Either Newton or Winston would be a disaster in Chicago.   Newton is damaged goods and Winston needs to go somewhere where the idea is to fill seats with an offense that generates some excitement.  Why when we have a top ten defense would we want a turnover machine like Winston?

The ONLY guy left who really makes some sense is Dalton.  If we can't get him or if JAX won't send along a top pick just to get Foles deal off their books then I would agree.  Find a younger prospect with some upside and roll the dice.  You can't fix mistakes by making even more of them.

To play devil's advocate TB was 3rd in scoring but had to be to compete, they had the 29th ranked scoring defense. The argument is that he wouldnt be relied upon to win shoot outs so his turnovers should drop.

I'm not a fan of his but if we have to get a guy at least he gives you a shot to win each week rather than winning with sub-20 point games constantly. 

Still gross to think of Crab Legs in a Bears uniform. 

34 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Only issue with this approach is you have a roster full of key players nearing 30 and they may be in decline 2-3 years from now. But there's no good alternative. The Bears are in the position of hoping they can roll the dice and get lucky with their QB play.

If you handcuff yourself to a bad QB with a big contract you don't have that money to dig out of hole in next 2 years or so.  

Whereas with the good 30ish players still around and hopefully playing well then a new cheap rookie QB can still jump in and play well with a nice roster.  

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

To play devil's advocate TB was 3rd in scoring but had to be to compete, they had the 29th ranked scoring defense. The argument is that he wouldnt be relied upon to win shoot outs so his turnovers should drop.

I'm not a fan of his but if we have to get a guy at least he gives you a shot to win each week rather than winning with sub-20 point games constantly. 

Still gross to think of Crab Legs in a Bears uniform. 

I can't see how having a QB like Winston wouldn't require a wholesale change in how Nagy runs his offense.  He's built it around having a QB whose more of an efficient game manager type like Alex Smith.  I don't see Winston being able to handle that and if we convert to accommodate Winston how does that impact Mitch who IMHO is nothing like Winston.  So how do you measure competition between to very dissimilar QBs.

I can see Dalton and Mitch in competition.  I can also see Foles and Mitch in competition.  But Winston or Newton?  Nope.  If we brought in Winston we may as well start building around him and bid buh bye to Mitch.  One is not much like the other.  JMHO

Well I guess that's settled now.  Foles for our 4th and the word is his deal will be reworked whatever that means.

I'd have preferred Dalton but I have a feeling so does Belicheat and we would not have won that battle since Dalton would be 99% assured of the #1 spot in NE and more than likely an extension.  It could be worse.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, soulman said:

I can't see how having a QB like Winston wouldn't require a wholesale change in how Nagy runs his offense.  He's built it around having a QB whose more of an efficient game manager type like Alex Smith.  I don't see Winston being able to handle that and if we convert to accommodate Winston how does that impact Mitch who IMHO is nothing like Winston.  So how do you measure competition between to very dissimilar QBs.

I can see Dalton and Mitch in competition.  I can also see Foles and Mitch in competition.  But Winston or Newton?  Nope.  If we brought in Winston we may as well start building around him and bid buh bye to Mitch.  One is not much like the other.  JMHO

His offense scored a meager 17 points per game. I'm fine with change because the offense has been mediocre overall at best. Tru sucks and isn't worth being planned around long term to me, so how he (as a back up who wouldn't see the field) wouldnt need to be accommodated for. 

I'd have been fine with using Winston as a 1 year rental and going into 2021 offseasons without a QB even on the roster. Sometimes you get addition by subtraction, losing Tru will be a boost to the cap. That's his only way to help. 

Foles blows. All we did was reinforce the already low floor for too much money. Hope he proves me wrong. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

And up to $13M. They waited for him to get cut so as not to give up a draft pick, then gave him basically the same contract. Crazy concept. 

😔😒😖

My guess is, the reason they paid him that much was because there was a bidding war going on with multiple teams.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

His offense scored a meager 17 points per game. I'm fine with change because the offense has been mediocre overall at best. Tru sucks and isn't worth being planned around long term to me, so how he (as a back up who wouldn't see the field) wouldnt need to be accommodated for. 

I'd have been fine with using Winston as a 1 year rental and going into 2021 offseasons without a QB even on the roster. Sometimes you get addition by subtraction, losing Tru will be a boost to the cap. That's his only way to help. 

Foles blows. All we did was reinforce the already low floor for too much money. Hope he proves me wrong. 

Foles blows but you hope he proves you wrong.  Well if he blows how could that ever happen?

Spend some time reviewing Foles record playing in Philly and KC under many of the same coaches he has now and THEN tell me Winston is better.  LOL  We'd all be better off to stop whining and just accept what is not what we would have liked.

The first time Winston threw four picks in a game or someone beat us by taking one back for six Bears fans would have been lining up to piss in Pace's beer.  I've already made the point that you can't have a competition between two vastly different QBs.  Winston doesn't fir a scheme built around Trubisky.

The sooner y'all get it in your heads that Trubisky IS gonna get his last shot this year the sooner you'll figure out the reality of why it went down this way.  Hell, even Teddy B was told he'd be competing with Mitch so there was NEVER a scenario where that wasn't gonna happen.  Stop dreaming and start accepting.

Pace and Nagy are not 100% sold on Mitch but they are 100% sold on competition for him and that has been the reality all along.