The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

10 hours ago, G08 said:

** disclaimer ** I had a bit of a draft-crush on Eifert coming out of Notre Dame in 2013

Last season was the first time in his career that he played in all 16 games (yikes). He turns 30 before the start of the 2020 season and should be able to be had for fairly cheap. Eifert also has a connection to Bill Lazor.

Do you roll the dice on him on a one-year deal?

I think I do... shouldn't cost much, he will be motivated, and finishing the 2019 season healthy means he can train in the off-season rather than rehab. Might be a classic low-risk high-reward type of signing. I don't know if I would feel comfortable relying solely on him as a focal point in this offense, though.

Not only was last year the first time he played 16 games in 7 seasons, it was also only the 3rd time he played more than 8 games, so roll the dice is definitely the right term. I like what he brings too so the cost is obviously key here too, but given his long documented injury history adding him is not keeping me from still thinking we need to draft a TE high seeing as how Burton’s 2020 health is also already a question mark. 

10 hours ago, G08 said:

** disclaimer ** I had a bit of a draft-crush on Eifert coming out of Notre Dame in 2013

Last season was the first time in his career that he played in all 16 games (yikes). He turns 30 before the start of the 2020 season and should be able to be had for fairly cheap. Eifert also has a connection to Bill Lazor.

Do you roll the dice on him on a one-year deal?

I think I do... shouldn't cost much, he will be motivated, and finishing the 2019 season healthy means he can train in the off-season rather than rehab. Might be a classic low-risk high-reward type of signing. I don't know if I would feel comfortable relying solely on him as a focal point in this offense, though.

Eifert supplemented with a high draft pick would be a big upgrade.

We need to find guys who are not going to cost a lot that can at least stop the bleeding at some positions.

7 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

He has been absolute trash in GB

He's been better than what we've had last few years...like Windy said.

Ryan Pace also has a connection to him from their time in the Saints organization. Bears could stand to do a lot worse.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

He's been better than what we've had last few years...like Windy said.

Ryan Pace also has a connection to him from their time in the Saints organization. Bears could stand to do a lot worse.

Once again, you and I would've been better than what they had last year. It doesn't mean you should from complete dumpster to a small pile of garbage.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Once again, you and I would've been better than what they had last year. It doesn't mean you should from complete dumpster to a small pile of garbage.

Um no we wouldn't have been better, even though I like to think I'm pretty athletic. :D

I'm not saying they should go sign Jimmy Graham to a big  multi year  contract if he gets released, but on a 1-year deal low cap deal, why the eff not?

People are forgetting that rookie TE's rarely make a big impact in their first year, so even if they do draft one as early as round 2, expectations should be tempered.

You don't like Ebron either...so tell me bud, who else do you like for us at TE on an affordable contract considering that Burton will still be here next season at an $8.5M cap hit?

I posted a bunch of FA TE's in another thread and I would take any of those guys before touching Graham. He really doesn't offer anything besides 20-30 catches a year for minimal yards, no yac and maybe a couple TD's. Vet min... Sure. I wouldn't pay him anything more though.

Just now, The_Romen said:

12-4 to 8-8 and they're beggars now? I think we can find comparable to Jimmy Graham at a lower price. Surely free agents see the Bears situation and want to come be the starter.

They are beggars because they do not have a lot of sap space.

The salary cap is the spending limit that each team must stay under each season. It is a hard ceiling on player yearly cap hits and you cannot exceed it. The Chicago Bears are one of the teams that has the least amount of free space.

1 minute ago, The_Romen said:

I posted a bunch of FA TE's in another thread and I would take any of those guys before touching Graham. He really doesn't offer anything besides 20-30 catches a year for minimal yards, no yac and maybe a couple TD's. Vet min... Sure. I wouldn't pay him anything more though.

I am not sure you understand how vet minimum works.

Last season he had 38, 447, 3 TDs. You are not getting that for a vet minimum in a world where Ben Braunecker makes 1.75 million.

31 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Um no we wouldn't have been better, even though I like to think I'm pretty athletic. :D

I'm not saying they should go sign Jimmy Graham to a big  multi year  contract if he gets released, but on a 1-year deal low cap deal, why the eff not?

People are forgetting that rookie TE's rarely make a big impact in their first year, so even if they do draft one as early as round 2, expectations should be tempered.

You don't like Ebron either...so tell me bud, who else do you like for us at TE on an affordable contract considering that Burton will still be here next season at an $8.5M cap hit?

Ebron would be fine if he'd take a small deal (which he won't). I wouldn't be upset with Eifert although he's unreliable. I'd go hard after Henry with a 3 year deal at heavy incentives and use a 4th or 5th on a nice prospect. Burton, Henry and a mid round rookie + Horsted or Braunecker is decent enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

They are beggars because they do not have a lot of sap space.

The salary cap is the spending limit that each team must stay under each season. It is a hard ceiling on player yearly cap hits and you cannot exceed it. The Chicago Bears are one of the teams that has the least amount of free space.

I understand, but I would assume they're making the cuts like everyone is saying (Prince, Haha, etc) which gives them room to maneuver. They don't necessarily need Austin Hooper for it to be a good signing. I think anyone here would be happy with a 40/500/5 guy as long as the Bears show they're working the improve the position.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure you understand how vet minimum works.

Last season he had 38, 447, 3 TDs. You are not getting that for a vet minimum in a world where Ben Braunecker makes 1.75 million.

I didn't literally mean vet min, but close to it.

Do you think JG can come in, learn the system and have 38, 447 and 3 tds? Is he worth twice what Braunecker makes?