The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Come on, don't play dumb. I'm hoping he has another outlier season then voids his deal to get s bigger one from a foolish franchise. 

I've watched plenty of Foles. He sucks. That is why they chose a 6th round pick with little experience over him. He was overpaid and is under-talented. Winston put up the 3rd mlm most points, he is Jay Jr on the field. Foles is a knock off Orton. 

Fans will be all over Pace for trading an overpriced back up who might not even be able to beat out Trubisky, who isn't even starter material it seems. If someone has to compete with Trubisky and it is a serious battle for the starting gig then you've set the bar too low. The scheme built around Tru has been a failure, why are you acting like that little point means anything? It was catered around the few things he does ok at and to hide his deficiencies. Do you honestly think Nagy wants to run a D-II level scheme or hed be happy to, you know...score points for a change. The bright young mind has had two years of mediocre to terrible offenses. Glad it can be said it was tailored around Tru though...

If you've noticed, most of us said that was what was going to happen. Doesn't mean it is a good plan, especially wasting resources on a mediocre talent like Foles. Start accepting that, any of us can say how bad the move is and there is a slim chance they make it worthwhile. 

Competition is fine, two mediocre players competing for the key spot on the roster is bad. It's really that simple. 

He's not only the best choice we had, he was just about the ONLY choice we had.  So it is what it is. Either accept it or don't.

I really don't give a phuc but I am getting sick of all the God damn whining about it.

46 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

If you take out graham (or at least half of his contract) i really wouldn’t mind it at all.

I don’t like Foles but I like what he represents. I LOVE that they seem to finally be playing the game right as far as maximizing their draft. Imagine how much better off we’d be for this year’s draft had we approached last offseason’s signings in much the same way. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t like Foles but I like what he represents. I LOVE that they seem to finally be playing the game right as far as maximizing their draft. Imagine how much better off we’d be for this year’s draft had we approached last offseason’s signings in much the same way. 

Bingo.  We aren't even through the first wave of FA yet let alone the draft.  The offseason is like a half mile race and we've got a ton of posters ready to quit because they're 5 yards back after the first 50 yards.  Well excuse me if I decide to go wait closer to the finish line where I can get a more complete view.

3 hours ago, Tyty said:

Why...?

Let me ask you this. Who would you have realistically rather them signed or traded for at the same prices they paid or less?

They needed a QB that could push Mitch and step in right away in a  pinch.

They needed a big and athletic TE who could move the chains.

They needed a real threat at OLB opposite Mack.

Why are you guys complaining?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Let me ask you this. Who would you have realistically rather them signed or traded for at the same prices they paid or less?

QB = Cheap FA/Draft. Much less than 13M and not giving up a 4th rd draft pick during a year that we are strapped on cap space AND draft capital.

TE = Draft. Not many options in FA and it's a relatively deep class.

OLB = No problems here. I didn't care for the potential FA's and didnt see Quinn as being an option. This was good signing. 

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

John Miller released by Cincy

Kline

Stefen Wisneiwski

But all of those guys would have to be competing with a legit draft pick. Those are replacement level starters.

That would be a good thing seeing as how we need a starter and depth. I am also not opposed to Pace signing a stop-gap guard either. I'm of the opinion that using an early draft pick on the guard position is always a terrible bad idea and we don't have many draft picks to pick one from (unless Pace trades down). 

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

In a nutshell those are my bullet points as well.  Right now it's all about production and all three guys have produced at a high level during their careers.  If you didn't draft them to begin with you don't get them in their prime unless like Mack you're willing to pay a huge price for one. 

All three are not what they once were but they aren't unproven rookies or mid tier UFAs you're hoping to build with.  These are guys you go and get because you want to win big now.  Ginny McCaskey isn't gonna live forever and her sons want her to get another Lombardi Trophy.

• Like 1

Is it just me or does it seem there's a lot more trade activity goin' on then we've seen in the past?

Is it because deals are now being written with a back door for the team after two years or three at most.  Players with back loaded deals whose salary and cap costs have risen above their ability to produce are now being shopped because other teams have the cap room to absorb the hit and their current team is looking to maximize their trade value.

I think we're gonna see fewer and fewer players even get second contracts from their original team unless they're playing at a very high level.  Team will have 8-12 highly compensated players and the rest will be vets on shorter term deals and draftees on their rookie contracts.  The top ten Bears cap hits consume 64.4% of the total cap leaving just 35.6 % for the remaining 41 players

20 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It seems they just pick a guy with a big contract they like and don’t see cutting and just covert to signing bonus.  It’s like magic salary cap room when ever you want it.  

I didn’t even know you could do that until they did it with Mack.  

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It seems they just pick a guy with a big contract they like and don’t see cutting and just covert to signing bonus.  It’s like magic salary cap room when ever you want it.  

I didn’t even know you could do that until they did it with Mack.  

It's the only way teams like the Steelers and Saints have been coming in under the cap for years...I have no issue with running contracts like this for the right players.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's the only way teams like the Steelers and Saints have been coming in under the cap for years...I have no issue with running contracts like this for the right players.

People focus on 1st round wiffs and other mistakes, but Pace also does a lot of things with above average competence.  Why I don’t hate him.  

• Like 2