The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

QB = Cheap FA/Draft. Much less than 13M and not giving up a 4th rd draft pick during a year that we are strapped on cap space AND draft capital.

TE = Draft. Not many options in FA and it's a relatively deep class.

OLB = No problems here. I didn't care for the potential FA's and didnt see Quinn as being an option. This was good signing. 

But I'm asking who was a cheap FA QB they could have signed that would legitimately be a threat to take Mitch's job? There's no guarantees in the draft either that they'll get a guy they covet.

Something to note that people are overlooking is that with this whole Coronavirus outbreak going on for an indefinite period teams may miss a significant part of OTA and mini camps, and since Foles already is familiar with the system and coaches it won't require the same learning curve as say they signed some other FA QB or drafted a rookie to compete with Mitch and I totally agree with that.

Foles also restructured his deal and correct me if I'm wrong is only getting $21M guaranteed from Bears over 3 years. Not huge money. What's a 4th round compensatory pick given that? I'll take that every day of the week instead of using it to draft a player who is no guarantee to have NFL success. 

As for TE I don't know where you're getting your info from but this is not the strongest rookie class for the position and it is known that rookie TEs have one of the steepest learning curves of all positions entering the NFL so given that the Graham signing was not the worst thing they could have done. It's short term and not for huge money like Hooper got.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

But I'm asking who was a cheap FA QB they could have signed that would legitimately be a threat to take Mitch's job? There's no guarantees in the draft either that they'll get a guy they covet.

Something to note that people are overlooking is that with this whole Coronavirus outbreak going on for an indefinite period teams may miss a significant part of OTA and mini camps, and since Foles already is familiar with the system and coaches it won't require the same learning curve as say they signed some other FA QB or drafted a rookie to compete with Mitch and I totally agree with that.

Foles also restructured his deal and correct me if I'm wrong is only getting $21M guaranteed from Bears over 3 years. Not huge money. What's a 4th round compensatory pick given that? I'll take that every day of the week instead of using it to draft a player who is no guarantee to have NFL success. 

As for TE I don't know where you're getting your info from but this is not the strongest rookie class for the position and it is known that rookie TEs have one of the steepest learning curves of all positions entering the NFL so given that the Graham signing was not the worst thing they could have done. It's short term and not for huge money like Hooper got.

IF they got the contract down to 21 million over 3 years Foles is the cheap FA QB.  Mission accomplished. Bridgewater was 60 million plus guaranteed and you are handcuffed to Bridgewater for foreseeable future.   I think they got lucky that didn’t work out.  

TE FA and draft market is mostly crap.  There just aren’t many good TEs in the entire league.   I think he could have done better and cheaper than they did.  But honestly as bad as he is, Graham was still arguably 2nd best pass catching TE on FA market after Hooper.  And Hooper isn’t a guy you want to break bank long term for.  

OLB was a home run.  

17 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

FWIW here's what's remaining of Foles contract.

Current Contract

(📝: indicates contract trigger occuring during that year)
Total   $50,000,000 $5,000,000 $1,500,000 $750,000   $15,125,000   $56,962,500      
2020 📝 31 $15,125,000 $0 $500,000 $250,000   $15,125,000   $15,587,500 7.9%  
$15,125,000
$462,500
2021 📝 32 $14,875,000 $5,000,000 $500,000 $250,000   $0   $20,625,000 --  
$0
$20,625,000
2022 33 $20,000,000 $0 $500,000 $250,000   $0   $20,750,000 --  
$0
$20,750,000

So his 2020 cap hit is $15.5875 mil and as of 3/23/2020 he's vested for his 2021 $5 mil roster bonus. That's the sum total we're on the hook for if he only lasts one year.  There is no dead cap in 2021 only that $5 mil gtd roster bonus.  It seems that we wanted an out after year one in the event Mitch does finally perform and Foles also gets outs in 2021 and 2022 in which he can void this deal.

But if Foles ends up starting over Mitch AND he continues as a starter in 2021 and 2022 as we either keep Mitch as his backup hoping he's just a late bloomer OR we draft a QB in 2021 who'll need at least a year to be ready to start we've locked down Foles for a little over $20 mil per year provided he doesn't exercise his options to void those two years or we end up paying him more to stay as a #1.

None of us can predict the future right now so this is what we're looking at as far as 2020 goes and what the possibilities are for 2021 and 2022.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Over 3 years he is getting 48 million, only 21 of it is guaranteed

If you keep him in 2021 he costs you 20 million.

Edited by WindyCity

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Over 3 years he is getting 48 million, only 21 of it is guaranteed

If you keep him in 2021 he costs you 20 million.

If he’s here in 2021 Mitch won’t be so Foles’ $20M in 2021 would actually be a significant cost savings over Mitch’s 5th year option with Foles likely serving as the presumed bridge to the next rookie. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If he’s here in 2021 Mitch won’t be so Foles’ $20M in 2021 would actually be a significant cost savings over Mitch’s 5th year option with Foles likely serving as the presumed bridge to the next rookie. 

Yes. But the idea that his deal is cheap is wrong.

Really it is a

1/21

2/35

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Aren't 5th year options now gonna be based on previous performance not just an average of the 5 highest paid at that position?

23 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Curious hypothetical: All things considered, would you rather have Foles for a 4th or Carr for a 2nd?

It's no longer a hypothetical when we actually have Foles for a 4th but yeah, I would still take Foles over Carr for our purposes.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

Aren't 5th year options now gonna be based on previous performance not just an average of the 5 highest paid at that position?

I believe all the changes take effect with players getting the 5th year option begin with those drafted in 2018 and beyond (someone correct me if this isn’t accurate). Those wouldn’t apply to Mitch (2017).