The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This is my thought. If he couldn’t play weeks 16 and 17 last year that says something.

I don’t buy it.  He was best non starter in camp and in pre season games.  Yeah we aren’t pro coaches, but we could all see that.  We have eyes. Like in movies where they are trying to tell you the hot chick isn’t really hot because she is wearing glasses and has no make up on.  

Bears made just about every possible wrong decision on Ol last year, why give them benefit of doubt on Bars? 

Its like they were under a magic spell of stupid or something. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t buy it.  He was best non starter in camp and in pre season games.  Yeah we aren’t pro coaches, but we could all see that.  We have eyes. Like in movies where they are trying to tell you the hot chick isn’t really hot because she is wearing glasses and has no make up on.  

Bears made just about every possible wrong decision on Ol last year, why give them benefit of doubt on Bars? 

Its like they were under a magic spell of stupid or something. 

Or, the preseason isn’t always an accurate representation of actual NFL games.

He maybe something, but I am not assuming anything with him at this time.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Or, the preseason isn’t always an accurate representation of actual NFL games.

He maybe something, but I am not assuming anything with him at this time.

I’m not saying he is anything. But in practice and practice games he was better than those other guys.  

• Like 1

Look there are gamers who don’t practice well and practice all stars who suck in games.  

But generally speaking the guy who is practicing better is better.  

Its just pro coaches never trust rookies because they are worried about assignment mistakes and they are control freaks.  

Bars was coming off a knee injury as well.  Prior to injury many had him as a mid round pick.  Presumably he should be better this year.  

Based on what we saw in camp and pre season there is reason to be optimistic about him.   

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:
17 hours ago, soulman said:

I think I can say why Heinz.  Similar stats but Graham has been more available and for us that's a biggie. 

Not only that, but somebody posted somewhere (maybe it was even you, I couldn't find it), that Ebron is well known as sort of a head case. We already have one of those in Burton. We certainly don't need another. 

Since that's a subjective judgement I decided to pass on mentioning it Heinz but based on reports you aren't wrong.  It seems to me that while teams have always pursued Graham even now both Detroit and Indy have wanted to offload Ebron on someone else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think expecting anything more than camp competition at this point for Bars is unrealistic. He had every chance to get on the field last year and couldn’t, and that was under Hiestand who most presume as his college OL was the biggest advocate for him. 

The only caveat I would say to that is the Bears let Whyte go from the practice squad when the Steelers wanted him, but in Bars case the Bears blocked him from going to the Pats, and gave him more money.  He has to factor in their 2020 plans some way I just don't know how

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Pretty much everyone now would need to be competing with a legit draft pick. There aren’t any “set it and forget” it OGs left.

I'm seeing much the same.  OGs are getting over paid vs their talent and we don't have the cap space to over pay one.

From some of the mocks I've seen there are several OTs ranked to go in round one but the OGs start falling well after that.  Pace has scored twice with interior OL in the second round so why not draft another there.  There two guys at LSU who both are ranked somewhere around the middle of round two and I'm sure there are others as well.

IMHO there isn't even one TE I believe ranks high enough to be taken with either of our 2nds.  This class is just not that good so why make another mistake and force the issue?  We've solved our TE problem for 2020 at the very least so draft an OG and a DB/SS in round two where there are some highly rated prospects at both positions.

Edited by soulman

24 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'm seeing much the same.  OGs are getting over paid vs their talent and we don't have the cap space to over pay one.

From some of the mocks I've seen there are several OTs ranked to go in round one but the OGs start falling well after that.  Pace has scored twice with interior OL in the second round so why not draft another there.  There two guys at LSU who both are ranked somewhere around the middle of round two and I'm sure there are others as well.

IMHO there isn't even one TE I believe ranks high enough to be taken with either of our 2nds.  This class is just not that good so why make another mistake and force the issue?  We've solved our TE problem for 2020 at the very least so draft an OG and a DB/SS in round two where there are some highly rated prospects at both positions.

Based purely on need we have the most pressing issues at OG and S.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Based purely on need we have the most pressing issues at OG and S.

So.....this may end up being a situation where need and BPA intersect fairly well?  You do far more research into the draft than I do.  I've simply looked at prospects at positions where we might like to add rookie prospects and found a few players who appear to be fits for us.

I'm not ignoring other needs or wants but rather looking to prioritize the only two premium picks we have.  Although Pace may trade back to pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick I don't think we can count on that happening and I would not do it if it meant sacrificing two players I believed could step in and start almost immediately.

FWIW this draft is absolutely loaded with OG prospects (and/or OT prospects who could theoretically be kicked inside) and a TON of SS type S prospects. 

It's a very good bet that the depth at those spots in the draft factored into Pace's plans..... I'd even go as far to say that the only way I see us not taking both of those positions with our first 4 picks is if there's some stand out player at a position like WR...   Specifically Denzel Mims-WR being my guy I immediately run up and draft with our first pick, for example.

• Like 2