The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

Andy Dalton officially a free agent.  Guess either no one wanted to trade for him or he wasn’t willing to renegotiate his $17m salary.

I was on with bringing him on before we had the COVID stuff start and then made the trade for Foles but I just can’t see it now.

Related - NO WAY we could have waited this long to address QB even though I like Dalton over Foles. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was on with bringing him on before we had the COVID stuff start and then made the trade for Foles but I just can’t see it now.

Related - NO WAY we could have waited this long to address QB even though I like Dalton over Foles. 

Yeah he was my top choice of the veteran QBs (excluding Brady, obviously).  But he would have had to take a pay cut.  And yeah, they couldn’t go this long without a QB especially without drafting one.

• Like 1

Now that we no longer risk losing compensatory picks by signing FAs I expect Pace and his pro scouting staff will be looking for experienced vet backups and/or competition on the cheap just as they have in bringing back Jenkins.

Personally I'm still not comfortable with the prospects we have for SS.  Bush is a "banger" box type SS and fairly effective close to the LOS but he's always been somewhat of a liability in coverage when forced to cover downfield.  He's a guy teams can exploit for big plays just as GB did last year.  Coverage is not his long suit so I can't help but thinking Pace will look for help if he can find any.

Other than that I don't see any glaring holes other than inexperienced depth at ILB but they've kept Josh Woods around for several years and converted him from SS to ILB and we may finally get a chance to see if Iggy can step up to anything beyond just a ST guy and maybe a spot player as a coverage guy.  If Pace could add another KPL type there it would be nice to see.

30 minutes ago, soulman said:

Now that we no longer risk losing compensatory picks by signing FAs I expect Pace and his pro scouting staff will be looking for experienced vet backups and/or competition on the cheap just as they have in bringing back Jenkins.

Personally I'm still not comfortable with the prospects we have for SS.  Bush is a "banger" box type SS and fairly effective close to the LOS but he's always been somewhat of a liability in coverage when forced to cover downfield.  He's a guy teams can exploit for big plays just as GB did last year.  Coverage is not his long suit so I can't help but thinking Pace will look for help if he can find any.

Other than that I don't see any glaring holes other than inexperienced depth at ILB but they've kept Josh Woods around for several years and converted him from SS to ILB and we may finally get a chance to see if Iggy can step up to anything beyond just a ST guy and maybe a spot player as a coverage guy.  If Pace could add another KPL type there it would be nice to see.

The Ginn signing is very much this kind of signing IMO.

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The Ginn signing is very much this kind of signing IMO.

Where has it been posted?  Haven't seen an announcement yet.

If true bringing in two vet PR tells me something may be brewing with a trade for Tarik Cohen.  He's entering his contract year and as poorly as he's been used offensively I can't see Pace extending him vs bringing in a true #2 RB for this offense which he doesn't seem to be.

This is another of those situations where his 2020 salary kicked up to over $2.2 mil and all we eat in dead cap if we can trade him is about $150k.  It all seems logical but can we get anything worthwhile for him in trade?  If not will they simply release him?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, soulman said:

Where has it been posted?  Haven't seen an announcement yet.

If true bringing in two vet PR tells me something may be brewing with a trade for Tarik Cohen.  He's entering his contract year and as poorly as he's been used offensively I can't see Pace extending him vs bringing in a true #2 RB for this offense which he doesn't seem to be.

This is another of those situations where his 2020 salary kicked up to over $2.2 mil and all we eat in dead cap if we can trade him is about $150k.  It all seems logical but can we get anything worthwhile for him in trade?  If not will they simply release him?

I would love to get a 4th back in 2021 or some safety help for Cohen...he is still a good player but as you said we just haven't been using him right and he tips our hand every time he is in the backfield.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would love to get a 4th back in 2021 or some safety help for Cohen...he is still a good player but as you said we just haven't been using him right and he tips our hand every time he is in the backfield.

Personally I think if we were going to be trading Cohen it would have been to get a pick in this draft. I’d be 100% for trading him for a 2021 pick - I just don’t see it happening. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Personally I think if we were going to be trading Cohen it would have been to get a pick in this draft. I’d be 100% for trading him for a 2021 pick - I just don’t see it happening. 

I think this offseason is just going to be so different than any other...I can see teams valuing experienced players over rookies quite a bit...that said it would also leave us with not a lot at the RB spot.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think this offseason is just going to be so different than any other...I can see teams valuing experienced players over rookies quite a bit...that said it would also leave us with not a lot at the RB spot.

I’m fully expecting we add a RB who can capably fill in should Montgomery miss time, whether we move Cohen or not. Roster spots will open up when we thin the TE herd. 

On 4/30/2020 at 6:14 PM, Sugashane said:

Dalton is better than Foles but Foles has system familiarity and his deal is cheap. 

It's arguable whether he is better.  Foles is up and down, but his up is as good as anyone.  Unfortunately his down is really bad too.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:14 PM, Sugashane said:

Dalton is better than Foles but Foles has system familiarity and his deal is cheap. 

Maybe he isn't. I mean, literally no GM wanted Dalton to be their starter. We know of 1 who wanted Foles to be their starter. Based on that alone, perhaps Foles is better.

Dalton had an okay OL, good RB and okay WR's last year and had a similar year that Trubisky had in 2018.

He's just not good anymore... and trust me, I don't think Foles is any better than mediocre.

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Maybe he isn't. I mean, literally no GM wanted Dalton to be their starter. We know of 1 who wanted Foles to be their starter. Based on that alone, perhaps Foles is better.

Dalton had an okay OL, good RB and okay WR's last year and had a similar year that Trubisky had in 2018.

He's just not good anymore... and trust me, I don't think Foles is any better than mediocre.

With Green out I don't see it  Boyd is ok as a 2, Ross is made of glass but has speed at least, but then they had Tate (who I liked but was a 7th rounder last year) and Erickson (a guy went undrafted and never topped 30 targets in a year previously) as his top two targets. Eifert is a shell of what he used to be athletically too.

I'd say we had a much better WR corps, even without ARob the WR depth would be better here I'd say. Idk. Maybe im being overly orgiastic because his good play was more than two stretches in his career.  Either way he is escaping from CIN so good for him. Lol. 

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

With Green out I don't see it  Boyd is ok as a 2, Ross is made of glass but has speed at least, but then they had Tate (who I liked but was a 7th rounder last year) and Erickson (a guy went undrafted and never topped 30 targets in a year previously) as his top two targets. Eifert is a shell of what he used to be athletically too.

I'd say we had a much better WR corps, even without ARob the WR depth would be better here I'd say. Idk. Maybe im being overly orgiastic because his good play was more than two stretches in his career.  Either way he is escaping from CIN so good for him. Lol. 

I was lumping TE's into that too and Eifert was decent. Auden Tate had a nice year as a WR too.

I'm not saying their pass catchers were gang busters but it's not like they had awful players or anything.