The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

There has to some incentive for him to sign it.

Yes, he would get offers with more than 13 guaranteed on a multi year deal

I am with you. I would pull the option and see what happens. 13.2 million is too much for a coverage OLB. But I do not think the Bears are going to pull it, which means they need to negotiate with the 13 million as part of the conversation.

If he gets that kind of guarantee elsewhere then he can go as far as I’m concerned and we can take a round 3/4 comp pick. I’m not as convinced as you that he would. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/outside-linebacker/

Looking at the non-edge rushers on that list only Barr, Thompson, Hightower, Davis and Bradham got more in guarantees. I don’t think he’s on par with the first four as a player, and the Bradham contract is a bad one and an outlier. Lavonte David got paid several years ago when he was a stud MLB under a prior regime. Most of the non-edge rush guys are making half annually what Floyd is set to make on the tender. 

Like you said though none of this will matter if Pace doesn’t do what we agree he should do, and I also don’t see it happening. There isn’t a football person anywhere I’ve seen or heard that will say that Floyd is worth $13M for 2020 though. Apparently that doesn’t matter to Pace. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

QB Nate Sudfeld has come up with a couple of media people as a possible target for them Bears.

Unproven, but would come with more potential long term upside than the old mediocre veteran route.

How has he looked, in your opinion? I've heard people talk him up in the past (as much as third-stringers CAN be "talked up"), but I haven't seen much, or anything, on him myself. 

44 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

How has he looked, in your opinion? I've heard people talk him up in the past (as much as third-stringers CAN be "talked up"), but I haven't seen much, or anything, on him myself. 

Never seen him play.

Although Pederson thought enough of him to have him backup the Super Bowl and gave him a 2nd round tender.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

QB Nate Sudfeld has come up with a couple of media people as a possible target for them Bears.

Unproven, but would come with more potential long term upside than the old mediocre veteran route.

Saw that... wouldn't hate it if the price was right. Should know the offense.

On 1/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, dll2000 said:

If everyone got fired and it was new GM and new coach in 2020 do you think Floyd stays?  I think there is no way.  I think they drop underperforming higher paid players with no sentiment.

I think as a GM you have to think like you would if you were coming on job fresh.

I agree. But the trouble is you need GM's/HC's who also think this way as well and are on the same page with each other. 

As it stands, I think Pace/Pagono keep him for another year. They may try and trade him in a bundled deal(I hope not)  but other than that I would be shocked if he isn't still on the team next year. I'm not as disappointed in him as most others seem to be though.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Hoge and Jahns on their Athletic Podcast said there is no player that has more of a differing opinion between fans and the team.

They really like Floyd and what he does.

He's a decent role player who is playing a premium position and being paid like it. 

He could be great at another position and paid accordingly.  Like WLB in a 4-3. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He's a decent role player who is playing a premium position and being paid like it. 

He could be great at another position and paid accordingly.  Like WLB in a 4-3. 

Absolutely. 

What's up with the Disney Robin Hood avatar, by the way? O.o

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I agree. But the trouble is you need GM's/HC's who also think this way as well and are on the same page with each other. 

As it stands, I think Pace/Pagono keep him for another year. They may try and trade him in a bundled deal(I hope not)  but other than that I would be shocked if he isn't still on the team next year. I'm not as disappointed in him as most others seem to be though.

I don’t think anyone thinks he’s not an asset. He is. He’s a solid player, and maybe even a good player. He’s just not an effective pass rusher at a position where we really need him to be despite being paid as one for 2020. I’d love for Floyd to be a Bear in 2020 but at $13.2M the ROI is really underwhelming, especially given our cap situation, and for the good of the team it would make more sense to use that $13M more effectively. 

I really look at him the same way I do Amukamara. Both solid players who don’t hurt you but who are are grossly overpaid for what they bring to the table relative to the position. Cutting both (or rescinding Floyd’s option) would create $22M in cap space. I have no doubt whatsoever we could effectively replace both and upgrade at theirs or other positions for that. With that cap space you could sign Clowney if you wanted to and still have room to replace Prince with a veteran starter without touching any of the cap space we already have. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Hoge and Jahns on their Athletic Podcast said there is no player that has more of a differing opinion between fans and the team.

They really like Floyd and what he does.

I really like what Floyd can do to...just not at the price we are paying.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

That is essentially what Hoge and Jahns were saying.

They were saying that the Bears are not going to cut him, so he has leverage.

I think the best thing they can try to do is give him a multi year extension at a reasonable rate to lower his 2020 cap hit while still giving him the $13M or so he is owed under the tag this coming season.

In terms of leverage to get a long term deal done (if that's what Bears want) Bears have more of the leverage IMO.  Would Floyd really want to bet on himself playing under the tag in 2020 while risking getting injured or having just an average season in terms of sacks, or would he be open to a long term deal that is fair for both he and the team?  If I'm Floyd I think I'm taking the latter if offered.

Edited by topwop1

31 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think the best thing they can try to do is give him a multi year extension at a reasonable rate to lower his 2020 cap hit while still giving him the $13M or so he is owed under the tag this coming season.

I see what you're saying...and agree somewhat...but, man, does that notion make me nervous...