The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Wasn’t mad after last year at all. I was mad about the garbage contract he gave Parkey that made him uncuttable.

If the roster is only average QB play from being a consistent winner, which I disagree with there are major offensive personnel issues, then it should be a relatively easy fix for Pace.

So then the expectation is a return to the playoffs in 2020?

Yet, you are bitching and moaning about Pace not signing anyone that you like, while at the same time not even willing to take into consideration that we have no cap space to sign all of these players that you THINK he can.

For example, you have been huffing and puffing over Vaitai for weeks now and we saw him get a 5/50M dollar deal. How the hell did you expect Pace to sign him? And even if he did find a way, you would still be bitching about the contract in the same that you are now about Parkey.

We have roughly 10M in cap space right now. In order for Pace to sign a Vaitia, he would have had to rework deals with Arob, Hicks, and cut Braunecker and Shaheen........ALL in a matter of HOURS!

It's not realistic.

And regardless of your opinion on how Pace should run the team, based on your utopia views, and how many mistakes he has made. This team is still a playoff caliber team. Whether you want to admit or not. 

Last year, the offense declined to the lowest possible expectations. The defense was playing with the a terrible offense, and banged up, AND played the toughest offensive schedule in the league. Everything that could go wrong last year, did go wrong and this team STILL went 8-8.

• Like 1

I gave Pace 5 years.

This is entirely his roster. It is his hand picked coach. No excuses no qualifiers, everything here he built. If the QB is bad, it’s his QB. If the coach sucks, it his coach.

If the QB tanks them next season, that is on him.

13 minutes ago, RTD said:

So then the expectation is a return to the playoffs in 2020? " quote by Windy.   I would answer yes. 

He would be mad if he finds out later that the league is starting the expanded playoffs this season. Would only take 8-9 wins to get into the playoffs every year. 

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yet, you are bitching and moaning about Pace not signing anyone that you like, while at the same time not even willing to take into consideration that we have no cap space to sign all of these players that you THINK he can.

For example, you have been huffing and puffing over Vaitai for weeks now and we saw him get a 5/50M dollar deal. How the hell did you expect Pace to sign him? And even if he did find a way, you would still be bitching about the contract in the same that you are now about Parkey.

We have roughly 10M in cap space right now. In order for Pace to sign a Vaitia, he would have had to rework deals with Arob, Hicks, and cut Braunecker and Shaheen........ALL in a matter of HOURS!

It's not realistic.

And regardless of your opinion on how Pace should run the team, based on your utopia views, and how many mistakes he has made. This team is still a playoff caliber team. Whether you want to admit or not. 

Last year, the offense declined to the lowest possible expectations. The defense was playing with the a terrible offense, and banged up, AND played the toughest offensive schedule in the league. Everything that could go wrong last year, did go wrong and this team STILL went 8-8.

I like Vaitai he got more money then I would pay.

They had 21 million to start the day. They could have signed Hooper very easily. Give him a big bonus, backload the deal, like they did with Danny T.

If you don’t have a lot of cap room why are you giving Jimmy Graham 9 million guaranteed over 2 years?

Playoff teams make the playoffs. Everyone who misses the payoffs can play the what if’s game.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

He would be mad if he finds out later that the league is starting the expanded playoffs this season. Would only take 8-9 wins to get into the playoffs every year. 

You exaggerate my position because I think deep down you know Pace isn’t very good. Makes you a little over sensitive  to valid criticisms of his lack of results on the field.

If they make the playoff next year in any capacity that would be great. But what we are really looking for is consistency. Pace has said it himself the goal is to build a consistent winner, half a decade in he has failed.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

Having no cap space is the situation Pace put himself in. While I don't expect him to sign a major free agent, I think it's fair to criticize him for the way he built this team. He made the decisions that put the Bears in a cap crunch.

Even if they just couldn’t afford to do a big deal, that is a roster construction flaw considering how bad they are at TE and RG.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

They had 21 million to start the day. They could have signed Hooper very easily. Give him a big bonus, backload the deal, like they did with Danny T.

They did not have 21M. They had 10M.

Please, people stop looking at sportrac's numbers. They copy off of OTC and their finals numbers are all over the place.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If you don’t have a lot of cap room why are you giving Jimmy Graham 9 million guaranteed over 2 years?

Again, I don't necessarily agree with the signing or the contract but he is most likely not going to costs us anything more 5 this season.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Playoff teams make the playoffs. Everyone who misses the payoffs can play the what if’s game.

Go be a Patriots fan.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

How many years?

More than you. I’m more willing than you to give Pace a relative pass for the first few years where he was undoing the Emery mess. I can’t tell you that after 2020 I won’t be done with him if things go poorly, but admittedly the circumstances of real day-to-day life have left me with more patience than most. 

Just now, WindyCity said:

Even if they just couldn’t afford to do a big deal, that is a roster construction flaw considering how bad they are at TE and RG.

I've said it before and I'll repeat:

Pace is all-in on Trubisky. Trading for and signing Mack ended any hopes for a sustainable roster construction. They have little cap flexibility and won't make major additions for the foreseeable future. The path to a Super Bowl depends on Trubisky becoming a top 10 NFL QB.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You exaggerate my position because I think deep down you know Pace isn’t very good. Makes you a little over sensitive  to valid criticisms of his lack of results on the field.

If they make the playoff next year in any capacity that would be great. But what we are really looking for is consistency. Pace has said it himself the goal is to build a consistent winner, half a decade in he has failed.

And I get that you want consistency. Me TOO. Hell, I am tired of getting my hopes up every 10-15 years only to be let down. But I also understand that he is one year removed from the playoffs --- that was a missed FG away from making it as far the Titans last season -- and still has built a playoff caliber team heading into 2020 even BEFORE any other changes are made. 

Edit: I'm not holding those Fox years against him like you are. He has help changed the culture among fans, the locker room, players actually WANT to to come here now, etc.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

11 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

They did not have 21M. They had 10M.

Please, people stop looking at sportrac's numbers. They copy off of OTC and their finals numbers are all over the place.

Again, I don't necessarily agree with the signing or the contract but he is most likely not going to costs us anything more 5 this season.

Go be a Patriots fan.

1. They had 20, the OTC numbers didn’t include Kyle Longs retirement yet.

2. You could have had anyone for a 5 million dollar year 1 cap hit. You could have given Austin Hooper a year 1 cap hit if you wanted.

3. Stop acting like your a Patriots fan. Your team is not well run and hasn’t won anything.

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

And I get that you want consistency. Me TOO. Hell, I am tired of getting my hopes up every 10-15 years only to be let down. But I also understand that he is one year removed from the playoffs --- that was a missed FG away from making it as far the Titans last season -- and still has built a playoff caliber team heading into 2020 even BEFORE any other changes are made. 

This is not a playoff caliber offense by any stretch of the imagination.

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

More than you. I’m more willing than you to give Pace a relative pass for the first few years where he was undoing the Emery mess. I can’t tell you that after 2020 I won’t be done with him if things go poorly, but admittedly the circumstances of real day-to-day life have left me with more patience than most. 

That just isn’t how the NFL works. You don’t get a decade to build a consistent winner.

He made his all in moves with Trubisky and Mack. It looks like he busted.