The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I didn't say the offense. I said this TEAM is a playoff caliber team. But go ahead and continue to be obtuse. 

This team is not making the playoffs with this offense.

-they don’t have the element of surprise like they did in 2018

-they have had massive talent regressions

-the defense will more than likely not spoon feed them turnover and field position like they did in 2018

-they can’t run the ball at all

-Oh, and their “franchise” QB melted down and is now looking at being replaced.

Not being obtuse, but this offense is really really bad.

We all knew going into this that we wouldn't be in the best position to compete for top UFAs AND that we would lose some of our vet depth which is exactly what's happened so far.  This is not even the 1st day of FA so let's see where we're at in another two weeks after the 2nd wave.  Lot's of players are getting over paid right now based on the old CBA but not so much the new.  That was bound to happen too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If they don’t get average QB play are we allowed to blame Pace for that? He is in charge of the roster.

Does there really have to be this need to assign blame for everything that doesn’t go the way I’d like? Sometimes **** just doesn’t work out. If Parkey played to his career averages in 2018 it’s not a bad signing. He drastically underachieved by comparison. Was Pace supposed to be able to know that ahead of time? Not reasonably so. **** happens. When Pace signed Antrel Rolle he had missed exactly one game in the prior 9 years. Was Pace supposed to expect that Rolle would then get hurt in Chicago? Of course not. **** happens. There are more examples but the point is made. I could buy the most reliable car in America from all reviews, and mine could still turn out to be a lemon. 

That’s not to say there haven’t been bad moves or bad non-moves. He’s had them just like any other GM. My expectation for my GM is that he by and large makes the moves that make sense. That gets a lot benefit of the doubt from me, even though it’s not always going to work out how I’d like, and Pace’s batting average hasn’t been bad enough on the whole for me to be done with him at this point.

• Like 2

Did the offense get better than the 2018 offense today?

2018 was an okay offensive year where they were able to compliment a historic defensive season.

But the offense has to be better than 2018, because the Bears cannot expect a historic defensive season.

Jimmy Graham isn’t an improvement over 2018 Burton. At best he may match what he did. That is the frustrating part.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

-they don’t have the element of surprise like they did in 2018

Offseason isn't over. No telling what the offense looks like.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

-they have had massive talent regressions

And they potentially fixed most of this by firing the staff. The OL looked confused as hell last year. At first I blamed this on Daniels/Whitehair transition but it became clear later on that NOONE on that line was on the same page. Combine this with a team leader on the OL (Long) regressing...  This alone made all of them look worse then they really are. Bringing in a new staff and additional pieces will hopefully get them back to their 2018 form. I refuse to believe that they just ALL fell off that quickly.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Does there really have to be this need to assign blame for everything that doesn’t go the way I’d like? Sometimes **** just doesn’t work out. If Parkey played to his career averages in 2018 it’s not a bad signing. He drastically underachieved by comparison. Was Pace supposed to be able to know that ahead of time? Not reasonably so. **** happens. When Pace signed Antrel Rolle he had missed exactly one game in the prior 9 years. Was Pace supposed to expect that Rolle would then get hurt in Chicago? Of course not. **** happens. There are more examples but the point is made. I could buy the most reliable car in America from all reviews, and mine could still turn out to be a lemon. 

That’s not to say there haven’t been bad moves or bad non-moves. He’s had them just like any other GM. My expectation for my GM is that he by and large makes the moves that make sense. That gets a lot benefit of the doubt from me, even though it’s not always going to work out how I’d like, and Pace’s batting average hasn’t been bad enough on the whole for me to be done with him at this point.

It’s not a process business. It’s a results business.

The results aren’t good enough.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

That just isn’t how the NFL works. You don’t get a decade to build a consistent winner.

He made his all in moves with Trubisky and Mack. It looks like he busted.

That Pace is still in his position and seemingly not entering a win or be fired season suggests that it isn’t as reactionary or as one-size-fits-all as you’d like it to be. 

Offseason isn't over. No telling what the offense looks like.

And they potentially fixed most of this by firing the staff. The OL looked confused as hell last year. At first I blamed this on Daniels/Whitehair transition but it became clear later on that NOONE on that line was on the same page. Combine this with a team leader on the OL (Long)  This alone made all of them look worse then they really are. Bringing in a new staff and additional pieces will hopefully get them back to their 2018 form. I refuse to believe that they just ALL fell off that quickly.

You over rate position coaches. There is a reason they make 500k and the players make 10 million.

They need to be better than 2018. 2018 required a historic defensive year to make the playoffs.

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

That Pace is still in his position and seemingly not entering a win or be fired season suggests that it isn’t as reactionary or as one-size-fits-all as you’d like it to be. 

Or the Bears are not a well run franchise that is going to demand better results.

I think the previous 30 years bear that out.

Pace should be on the hot seat.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

You over rate position coaches. There is a reason they make 500k and the players make 10 million.

They need to be better than 2018. 2018 required a historic defensive year to make the playoffs.

You underrate them. Ask GM/HC's like Payton and Belichick how they get their information.  

Edited by JustAnotherFan

You underrate them. Ask GM's like Payton and Belichick how they get their information.  

There are better position coaches than others for sure. There are really good ones.

But you have to have talent. Position coaches can only do so much when you have average players.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

You don’t think the NFL is a results based business?

No one cares about the thought process they care about wins and loses.

Of course it is. That doesn’t mean everyone needs to be or is as inpatient as you are. The idea that anyone can have a stream of thought that doesn’t line up nearly with yours and have it also be a completely logical stream of thought is seemingly just completely outside your scope of comprehension though. 

• Like 1