The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

You know that are two vastly different ways to view this and debate it.

One is like a road race.  Those have a beginning in one place an end in another a pre-selected distance away and an acknowledged winner once a finish line is crossed.

The other is pursued by those who are only interested in having a circular point or points to debate.  Those are like a NASCAR race where the masterdebater keeps racing around in a tiny circle or oval challenging everyone else to race with him.   You never cross a finish line.

The problem is that race can ONLY end when the masterdebater either declares victory (earned or not) or every other debater simple grows tired of going 'round in circles with the masterdebater and leaves the race.  I hate phuc'n NASCAR.  >:(

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s the beauty in the whole thing - there’s not any one right answer. I tend to lean more to allowing things to play out more outside of gross negligence or incompetence. I don’t see either on the part of Pace on the whole, and I see enough good and still the high ceiling with Mitch to give him one more crack at realizing that. For me the idea that we could give up on Mitch now and he goes on to prosper somewhere else is a worse bad scenario than him staying here and getting another shot and finishing out his contract and not reaching his potential. I also understand wholly that and why others may see it differently. 

I agree Pace isn’t grossly incompetent. This isn’t a Phil Emery situation.

I am fine with letting Mitch have one more shot. I prefer that to Dalton, who I understand you still need to add, but that is under the premise that he is getting supported.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

(In my attempt to end this loop of regurgitated opinions formed in other words).

Quick question then Windy and @Nads786 (based on the highlighted). How much different would you feel about Pace if the team made the playoffs this year based on what you know RIGHT now and what the current roster looks like?

If there had not be a fairly significant team wide regression of course I would feel better. If they had made the playoffs that would have shown a degree of consistency.

I expected the defense to regress a little, 2018 was an incredible year.

The 2018 offense was a mirage. They got exposed in 2019. We, and the Bears, over rated the talent based on 2018 and they failed to live up to that in 2019. If the offense could have even maintained 2018 levels I would feel better about the team, but they were exposed and it wasn’t just Trubisky.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I put together a quick list of some of the offensive players who are still (potentially) free agents.

Based on realistic expectations, who would you like to see Pace target? 

I bolded my picks. 

QB
Tom Brady
Philip Rivers
Derek Carr
Teddy Bridgewater
Eli Manning
Andy Dalton
Jameis Winston
Blake Bortles
Trevor Siemian
AJ McCarron
Matt Moore
Mike Glennon
Josh McCown
Geno Smith
Chase Daniel
Jeff Driskel
Sean Mannion
Brett Hundley

RB
Devonta Freeman
Matt Breida
Frank Gore
Carlos Hyde
Corey Clement
Brian Hill
David Fluellen

WR
Amari Cooper
Devin Funchess
Russell Shepard
Nelson Agholor
Emmanuel Sanders
Dwayne Harris (ST)
Geronimo Allison
Seth Roberts
Rashard Higgins
Demarcus Robinson
Geremy Davis
Randall Cobb
Chris Hogan
Breshad Perriman
Josh Gordon
Phillip Dorsett
Demaryius Thomas
Tajae Sharpe
Tavon Austin
Ted Ginn
Damiere Byrd
Kendrick Bourne

TE
Eric Ebron
MyCole Pruitt
Blake Bell
Charles Clay
Garrett Celek 
Sean Culkin

OL
Stefen Wisniewski
Marshall Newhouse
J'Marcus Webb
Evan Boehm
James Ferentz
Brent Qvale
Tom Compton
Parker Ehinger
Justin McCray
B.J. Finney
Zach Banner
Josh Andrews
Tyler Shatley
Jordan Devey
David Sharpe
Ryan Groy
Michael Schofield
Spencer Drango
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Joe Looney
Tony Bergstrom
T.J. Clemmings
Cornelius Lucas
Ted Larsen
Oday Aboushi
Bryan Bulaga
Dakota Dozier
Brett Jones
Rashod Hill
Daryl Williams
Andrus Peat
Cameron Tom
Josh Wells
Earl Watford
Jerald Hawkins
Jordan Mills
Ben Garland

My problem with that list is no one bolded is good enough to change your draft plans.

No one listed is a major upgrade.

They are league average or below players.

So, where is the actual talent improvement? How does the offense get better than 2018?

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

At this point, sign a couple defensive players so you can draft almost exclusively offense.

Vonn Bell at SS

A #3 OLB.

Honestly given the relative state of each unit I’d rather we did it the other way around. We have the horses on D to absorb a few learn-on-the-job rookies. Our need on offense is probably for more of a sure thing. From the list above gimme Andrus Peat, Emmanuel Sanders, Devonta Freeman and whichever 1b QB, draft Duggar and an edge rusher in round 2, another edge in 4/5 and a developmental WR and OL the rest of the way. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Honestly given the relative state of each unit I’d rather we did it the other way around. We have the horses on D to absorb a few learn-on-the-job rookies. Our need on offense is probably for more of a sure thing. From the list above gimme Andrus Peat, Emmanuel Sanders, Devonta Freeman and whichever 1b QB, draft Duggar and an edge rusher in round 2, another edge in 4/5 and a developmental WR and OL the rest of the way. 

I just do not see the value on the offensive side left.

Give me a veteran RG, whatever QB they over pay to get and then go to the defense. Bring HHCD back at this point and add a 3rd rusher.