2020 Senior Bowl Thread

e16bball

What to Know:

▪️ Practices are this week, taking place from Tuesday to Thursday

▪️ The practices are in the afternoon, from 130pm to 6pm

▪️ The Tuesday practices are covered by NFL Network; the Wednesday and Thursday practices will be covered by both NFL Network and ESPNU

▪️ The game itself will be Saturday (1/25) at 230pm on NFL Network

▪️ The Detroit Lions staff will be coaching the North team; the Cincinnati Bengals staff will be coaching the South team

▪️ You can find the rosters for the North and South here

Positions to Watch:

▪️ Super deep WR class

▪️ Potential Day 2 OT prospects

▪️ Potential Day 2 secondary prospects

▪️ Potential Day 2/3 TE prospects

▪️ Potential Day 3 interior OL prospects

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

The reports from Walter Football, they had us interviewing Lloyd Cushenberry C/G LSU and Cam Brown LB/PENN ST. 

I like Cushenberry a lot. Wondering if he can play Guard, I know he can play C. Don’t know where he falls, end of rd 2 or can he last to the top of rd 3. 

I would have loved that 2nd rd Pick. 

To me at least, the big-ticket item at this Senior Bowl, and in this draft overall, is the WR group. Most of the top WR options in the draft (Jeudy, Lamb, Shenault, Higgins, Jefferson, Ruggs, Reagor, Hamler, Peoples-Jones, etc.) are underclassmen, and this not there for this event, but I still think they’ve got 10-12 draftable seniors there in Mobile. Some of them will be gone on Day 2, but many will be there on Day 3 — which is a testament to the quality WR depth in this draft. 

At the moment, I have the Senior Bowl receivers ranked roughly like this. I’m taking into account specific fit/role for the Redskins to some degree (biggest need probably at X receiver and then slot). 

🔵 Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State

🔵 Denzel Mims, Baylor

🔵 Bryan Edwards, South Carolina

🔵 Devin Duvernay, Texas

🔵 Quartney Davis, Texas A&M

🔵 Collin Johnson, Texas

🔵 Michael Pittman, Jr., USC

🔵 Van Jefferson, Florida

🔵 KJ Hill, Ohio State

🔵 Jauan Jennings, Tennessee

🔵 James Proche, SMU

🔵 Kalija Lipscomb, Vanderbilt

🔵 Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty

🔵 Chase Claypool, Notre Dame

🔵 Austin Mack, Ohio State

I typically don’t value size at all in receivers, but we probably need an X receiver more than any other position (McLaurin has the Z locked down for the next 30 years or so hopefully, and Sims/Quinn are competitive at the slot position at least). So I gave a little bump to guys with some size, especially Collin Johnson and Michael Pittman. I’ve basically never watched Claypool, so I’ll keep an eye on him this week. Would be interesting to see if he (or one of these other big guys) could make a switch to a move TE type position. Could be a weapon in that role with the size and WR skills. 

Aiyuk probably won’t make it to us in the 3rd, but I really like the guy’s physical profile. Will be interesting to watch this week whether he can consistently separate from good corners or whether he was just getting schemed open and then hurting them in space once he had the ball. 

Mims is a highlight reel player, but with track speed and crazy leaping ability, he seems to fit nicely with Haskins and the big arm. I really like Duvernay as a slot option, crazy production and a weird bowling ball YAC ability. But do we need another slot guy? Quartney Davis has a lot of ability, I really want to see his routes at the Senior Bowl — he had a tendency to get a little rounded in college, but he shows the ability to separate when he’s focused. Jauan Jennings is a super-talented dude, but the character issues are going to drop him big-time I’d bet. Van Jennings is a technician, I’d wager on him having a long career, but probably a fairly low ceiling. 

Great group to watch. And it’s quite a test for the DBs in this class to keep up with them — anybody who can consistently shine against these WRs is really doing well for themselves. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Chase Claypool is going to be one heck of a receiver in the NFL.  I would love to get our hands on him but he's likely going in the second round now after his Senior Bowl performance.  I was super impressed with his performances against my teams this year (UGA and Navy) 

I like him as well. He wins a lot of the 50/50 balls. 

40 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Geez, that's why we drafted Josh Dotson .

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd rather have WRs who get open bc they are precise route runners, not bc they are athletic and are 50/50 on jump balls, which is essentially what Doctson was while he played for us.

15 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I like him as well. He wins a lot of the 50/50 balls. 

Our WR's for years were a bunch of smurfs.  While that isn't a bad thing, it's also been why we have been terrible in the red zone.  I would like to add some height to the WR corps, and a 6'4, 230 Claypool would be great for that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Our WR's for years were a bunch of smurfs.  While that isn't a bad thing, it's also been why we have been terrible in the red zone.  I would like to add some height to the WR corps, and a 6'4, 230 Claypool would be great for that. 

Actually, it was a combination of several things. Some of it was we didn't have a big redone target, some of it was poor playcalling/ lack of a running game so, defenses  knew we were going to throw and some poor QB play.

When Reed was healthy - like in 2015 - we did have a reliable redone target and he had 11 TDs that year & a TD vs the Packers in the playoff game.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Watched videos of the Senior Bowl Practices (1 on 1) and these guys stood out  I really like Cushenberry who plays Center if needed and Strowbridge super quick  

Gallamore DT/OU

Strowbridge DE/NC 

Agim DT/ARK

Adeniji G/Kansas

Bederson G/MICH

Cushenberry C/G LSU

I also thought Cush was impressive. To me, he’s a LG at the next level, and he might be a fit if we decided to move on from Flowers because we’re looking for someone a little more mobile/athletic. 

Strowbridge had great practices, and perhaps they’d consider him as a possible LE in the 4-3? To me, he’s more of a pass-rushing DT, but he’s quite and athlete — maybe he could drop a little weight and play outside on the strong side.

There’s a DT from NC State that I’d consider as a late rounder by the name of Latrell Murchison. He kept flashing for me, especially in the team drills. I don’t know how well he plays the run, but he was impressive in his ability to slash and get up the field. 

One more to throw out there from the OL/DL one on ones is the D3 kid from St. John’s (MN), Ben Bartch. He really held his own against the big school kids. Played OT in college evidently, after basically flaming out as a TE at that level, but he’s another kid who looks like a quality OG prospect. He’s a little tall to play in a phone booth, but he really showed something. Maybe he’s even a developmental OT project?

28 minutes ago, e16bball said:

There’s a DT from NC State that I’d consider as a late rounder by the name of Latrell Murchison. He kept flashing for me, especially in the team drills. I don’t know how well he plays the run, but he was impressive in his ability to slash and get up the field. 

I liked him as well. The last few drafts there’s been a few nice DT out of NC State. Yes, Strowbridge is some athlete, lot to work with. Can’t teach athleticism. You either have it or you don’t. 

• Like 1