2020 Tight End Titillating Talk

MacReady

I’m probably in the minority, but I want Graham restructured (or cut and re-signed), Marcedes Lewis back and hope Sternberger is a decent receiving option.

That, or Austin Hooper.

Stay away from Ebron, Eifert, Henry.  

EDIT: My opinion on Hooper has changed since I started this.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m probably in the minority, but I want Graham restructured (or cut and re-signed), Marcedes Lewis back and hope Sternberger is a decent receiving option.

That, or Austin Hooper.

I'd take a serious run at Hooper or Henry if I was Gute.  Maybe Graham winds up as a fall back option if he takes about a 50% pay cut.  I have hopes for Sternberger, but don't want to count on him to be more than a #2 next year.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd take a serious run at Hooper or Henry if I was Gute.  Maybe Graham winds up as a fall back option if he take about a 50% pay cut.

I just don’t want to get caught in another big contract with an underperforming TE.

Especially with Rodgers.  Remember, the only routes Rodgers throws to tight ends are those stupid Richard Rodgers routes.  All we really need is someone who can catch and gain a couple yards on those.  That could be Jace.  

Also, I really like having Jimmy as that proverbial on-field coach.  The more he can teach Jace the better Jace is.  I also think year three could make him a legitimate trusted red zone option for Rodgers.  

I have high hopes for Sternberger. Put another way, we can't go get every position we'd like to improve the team so these young guys have to make a marjor leap: Sternberger, Gary, Savage, Sullivan and Burks. Those are off the top of my head. Then we can add pieces in free agency: IDL, ILB, WR, EDGE (yes another EDGE rusher). You can never have enough of those guy around. 

Lazard has to be a very reliable #3 and we need to go get a #2. He made a very nice leap this year, but needs to keep improving. Dominant blocker and should be a 3 - 4 catch guy every game. I've given up on MVS because it would appear the organization has as well given his lack of playing time yesterday. Did he get one snap on offense?

I'm fine with rolling at TE with Sternberger, Tonyan (just a JAG), Lewis if he's cheap enough and a late round developmental guy. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That, or Austin Hooper.

Austin Hooper.

Graham doesnt have anything in the tank.

Henry, Hooper and Eifert have to be seriously considered in free agency if we cut Graham. Can't go into the season lacking depth and/or experience in the position.

It would be nice to reinvest the Graham money on a WR. Green makes some sense but he is 32 and coming off a major injury.  Amari Cooper will be far too expensive. Robby Anderson is a potential target, didn't we have some trade interest in him last off season?  Demarus Robinson and Devin Funchess are potential throw of a dart signing,  Otherwise free agent WR cupboard is looking a little bare.

Its possible we will let Martinez go and sign a cheaper alternative in FA. Van Noy, Schobert, Littleton, Hewitt, Trevathan are all options.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

That, or Austin Hooper.

I wouldn't keep Graham, that's a big saving that can be used elsewhere more effectively, imo. I would keep the ageless Marcedes Lewis for another year and I'd consider someone like TE Colby Parkinson if available somewhere in the 5th round of the next draft. He's a big Stanford guy, so his blocking should be anti-awful, which is more than you can say with most TEs in this draft. He might be able to supplant  Lewis in a years time (TEs can't usually be counted on for much in their rookie year). Lewis, Tonyan, Sternberger, Parkinson, aren't an awful group for 2020, considering Sternberger has had a year to mature now.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

That, or Austin Hooper.

TBH, TE is a position I'm perfectly fine with platooning with young under-achievers. Give me Stern, Tonyan, maybe Lewis if he wants to come back cheap and a rookie. That's it. Use the money on WRs, ILBs and DL. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

If you have a chance to sign a guy like Tyler Eifert who has played 3 games in the past 8 years, you do it.

Yeah .. not sure why he was even listed.  He can't be counted on for much of anything.  I think he did make it thru this season intact .. which was a miracle in itself.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1