2020 Tight End Titillating Talk

MacReady

13 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

...he is absolutely no blocker, but the only role left for him last season was this blocking type role since he's a better blocker than Jimmy Graham just by default.  So he's willing to block, but he's no mauler....

I think "mauler" and "willing"  are very different.  But to some degree, I wonder if the latter isn't often sufficient?  We know he's not going to be driving OLB and D-linemen off the line, that's a given.  And if he's one-on-one blocking one of those guys, he's going to get backed up to variable extent.  

But if you're willing and you've got good feet, he may be able to slow down a blitzer or a defender enough to give 12 time to do something else; or perhaps for a runner to get around the edge or through an alley?  And if he's on the move and can get his feet and frame between a smaller ILB or S or CB, maybe he can push them back or stall them enough to allow a guy running with the ball to get past?  To some degree, isn't blocking ILB/S/CB sometimes more about speed/feed/athleticism than about mauling-capable power?  

One of my questions for him, for sure, is what kind of physique he's going to have this season.  If he's been 100% committed to building strength and power, it wouldn't be shocking if he doesn't look a little bigger and stronger this time around.  Whether he can do that, without having lost speed and flexibility and body-balance etc. as a result, is a tough question. 

But yeah, I'd like for his blocking to be strong enough so that he can play traditional in-line TE, and do it effectively, without it being a "tell" that it's a passing play as opposed to running.     

I've been kinda wondering why Jace's combine performance was so lackluster.  He doesn't pop a ton on film athletically, but he still looks like a better athlete than he tested.  But I see he showed up to the combine at 251, and watching his combine on youtube he looks like a guy that threw some weight on to look better on paper.  I'd be willing to bet he played more like 235-240 at A&M, and I think trying to up his weight to show as more of a true inline TE probably backfired.  Think he can probably play at that weight if he gains it as lean mass over a few years rather than bulking for the scale.  

Think the biggest thing for Jace is gonna be what he comes into camp at.  This body isn't gonna cut it at TE1, he really needs to get that lean mass up if they're gonna play him on the line at all.

hwx9xjaw3c8kxzjio8jh.jpg

He's (Jace) gonna come into camp with much bigger calves, chest and arms.  No doubt an off-season of working out is going to have a huge difference on him.  He probably won't look like Thor (Tonyan), but I have no doubt that he's gonna have an NFL body very shortly.

Edited by vegas492
That's Prime Thor, not Endgame Thor!

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

He's (Jace) gonna come into camp with much bigger calves, chest and arms.  No doubt an off-season of working out is going to have a huge difference on him.  He probably won't look like Thor (Tonyan), but I have no doubt that he's gonna have an NFL body very shortly.

Agreed, I was surprised that he was 251 looking at those minicamp photos. On the other hand, is he going to be one of these guys that's solid as a rock with no size but plenty of strength and speed. 

• 1 month later...

USATSI_13864225-scaled-e1587444596850-10

Josiah Deguara, FB-TE, Cincinnati

Third round (No. 94)

Height: 6-2 ½. Weight: 242. Age: 23. From: Folsom, Calif.

Ran the 40 in 4.72. Vertical jump of 35 ½, broad jump of 9-7 and led all tight ends in the bench press with 25 reps.
Arms were 31 5/8, hands were the smallest among tight ends (9).

On 5/3/2020 at 7:21 AM, incognito_man said:

lol at quoting rapunzel. Little kids, too? :)

Getting less little by the day.  Watched that movie when it came out with my youngest, and she's now 11 going on 30.  Now you're making me realize I've been on this site for over 14 years and that's some weird stuff for a Monday morning lol.

But plus I just love that line, and really the whole character and Zachary Levi's delivery.  Man sure can play a smarmy rogue.

• Like 3

Bill Huber with an article up on James Looney at TE

Dude dropped 30 lbs, down to 256 right now

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/athletic-looney-embraces-move-to-tight-end

...One day late in the 2019 season, general manager Brian Gutekunst and coach Matt LaFleur pulled Looney aside with a bold idea. On Dec. 6, Looney showed up practice with a new position (tight end), a new jersey number (49) and a new lease on his professional life after spending most of his first two seasons on the practice squad.  “I feel like I’m a pretty athletic guy,” Looney said. “They put me at tight end for certain teams that we played and certain looks that they wanted. It just worked out from there. I guess Gutey and Coach LaFleur seen something that they really liked in me. They called me over and changed me midseason.”

“It was easier being around those dudes,” Looney said. “When you’re in the D-line room, you snack a little bit more often. Jimmy G, from a standpoint of eating, he literally doesn’t put anything bad in his body. He’ll laugh at you and literally talk about you if you’re eating something bad. He’s a guy who lives by it. I wouldn’t even call it a diet. That’s his routine. That’s one thing I learned from Marcedes, too. He has a great routine. ’Cedes actually took me under his wing the first year, even though I wasn’t at the tight end position. He was telling me about the saunas, hot tubs, cold tubs. I follow a lot of his routine to this day. Those guys got it down pat. I’m really thankful I had both of them in the room "

more on Jace Sternberger via The Athletic

snippets from the q&A session

What’s a day like for you?

Man, today, wake up at 8, I have my (meal) ready. I hired a nutritionist/personal chef, so I got him cooking me my breakfast, three meals a day. So I eat breakfast at about 8:15, then I get on the body table and (body coach) Joe (Tofferi) works on my body. Then I go work out at 9:30. That takes about an hour. Get done, come home, eat, do OTAs, take notes. Then immediately drive 40 minutes to this complex where I’m doing some extra receiver training with this guy named Official D-Rob. That’s just his Twitter name. I don’t think I even know his first name because he just goes by D-Rob to everybody. But he’s worked with a lot of great receivers, so I’ve just been doing some extra with him and then get home about 3:30, 4. I asked for extra quizzes just to stay on top of the offense and try to learn it more and more and dissect the game just so I can try to be at an advantage. I had to take a quiz and then went over the wrong answers with one of my assistant coaches. Yeah, so pretty busy.

You mentioned the quizzes. Are they just playbook stuff or they can be about anything?

They can be about anything. As I said, I get extra quizzes just because I ask for them, so I just have to do more.

How much better of a blocker, both in the pass game and run game, would you say you are from when you first arrived in Green Bay?

Night and day.

What’s the biggest thing (tight ends coach Justin) Outten has taught you about blocking?

A lot of technique I’ve learned from Marcedes and Coach Outten. Just more reps at it and being able to focus on and understand it.

• Like 1