2020 Tight End Titillating Talk

MacReady

17 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Then immediately drive 40 minutes to this complex where I’m doing some extra receiver training with this guy named Official D-Rob. That’s just his Twitter name. I don’t think I even know his first name because he just goes by D-Rob to everybody.

This sounds like a scam

• Like 3

On 3/27/2020 at 1:58 PM, MrBobGray said:

I've been kinda wondering why Jace's combine performance was so lackluster.  He doesn't pop a ton on film athletically, but he still looks like a better athlete than he tested.  But I see he showed up to the combine at 251, and watching his combine on youtube he looks like a guy that threw some weight on to look better on paper.  I'd be willing to bet he played more like 235-240 at A&M, and I think trying to up his weight to show as more of a true inline TE probably backfired.  Think he can probably play at that weight if he gains it as lean mass over a few years rather than bulking for the scale.  

Think the biggest thing for Jace is gonna be what he comes into camp at.  This body isn't gonna cut it at TE1, he really needs to get that lean mass up if they're gonna play him on the line at all.

hwx9xjaw3c8kxzjio8jh.jpg

Your post is senseless to me. Jace was drafted as a TE because eh is a TE. He can block and he can spread the field. WE will see if he has that "it" factor or if Deguara has that "it" factor. I like what I see for both so far.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:
On 3/27/2020 at 2:58 PM, MrBobGray said:

I've been kinda wondering why Jace's combine performance was so lackluster.  He doesn't pop a ton on film athletically, but he still looks like a better athlete than he tested.  But I see he showed up to the combine at 251, and watching his combine on youtube he looks like a guy that threw some weight on to look better on paper.  I'd be willing to bet he played more like 235-240 at A&M, and I think trying to up his weight to show as more of a true inline TE probably backfired.  Think he can probably play at that weight if he gains it as lean mass over a few years rather than bulking for the scale.  

Think the biggest thing for Jace is gonna be what he comes into camp at.  This body isn't gonna cut it at TE1, he really needs to get that lean mass up if they're gonna play him on the line at all.

hwx9xjaw3c8kxzjio8jh.jpg

Your post is senseless to me. Jace was drafted as a TE because eh is a TE. He can block and he can spread the field. WE will see if he has that "it" factor or if Deguara has that "it" factor. I like what I see for both so far.

This response just epitomizes what's wrong with our world now. 

Poster 1 does a bit of research, looks back on some college tape and the combine footage, explains his findings and offers some solutions. 

Poster 2 says that's stupid, why would we try to look any deeper than the surface, an apple is an apple, we will see if it ends up being a good apple.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

more on Jace Sternberger via The Athletic

snippets from the q&A session

What’s a day like for you?

Man, today, wake up at 8, I have my (meal) ready. I hired a nutritionist/personal chef, so I got him cooking me my breakfast, three meals a day. So I eat breakfast at about 8:15, then I get on the body table and (body coach) Joe (Tofferi) works on my body. Then I go work out at 9:30. That takes about an hour. Get done, come home, eat, do OTAs, take notes. Then immediately drive 40 minutes to this complex where I’m doing some extra receiver training with this guy named Official D-Rob. That’s just his Twitter name. I don’t think I even know his first name because he just goes by D-Rob to everybody. But he’s worked with a lot of great receivers, so I’ve just been doing some extra with him and then get home about 3:30, 4. I asked for extra quizzes just to stay on top of the offense and try to learn it more and more and dissect the game just so I can try to be at an advantage. I had to take a quiz and then went over the wrong answers with one of my assistant coaches. Yeah, so pretty busy.

You mentioned the quizzes. Are they just playbook stuff or they can be about anything?

They can be about anything. As I said, I get extra quizzes just because I ask for them, so I just have to do more.

How much better of a blocker, both in the pass game and run game, would you say you are from when you first arrived in Green Bay?

Night and day.

What’s the biggest thing (tight ends coach Justin) Outten has taught you about blocking?

A lot of technique I’ve learned from Marcedes and Coach Outten. Just more reps at it and being able to focus on and understand it.

Not that I didn't expect him to honestly, but glad to hear he's putting work in on the body.  Hiring a nutrionist tells me he's serious about getting his body right before 2020 and I really do think it'll pay dividends.  He just catches the ball so naturally, every ounce of speed and quickness he can gain will play bigger for him than most.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

From PackersWire:

gettyimages-1200629806.jpg?w=1000&h=600&

"The Packers released Jimmy Graham, who handled 60 targets last season, opening the door for a player like Sternberger to become the top option at tight end in the passing game."

“Obviously, he has a lot of speed, he can stretch the seam, he’s a matchup problem for linebackers and safeties. Matt put him in the backfield, moved him around a little bit,” GM Brian Gutekunst said in January. “Jace can be one of those guys, as he develops, he can play a lot of different places and be a matchup problem. Excited for him, excited that he gained a little bit of confidence at the end of the season that will hopefully be a push going into next year.”

Packers offense is better with an 87 on it.
From Robert Brooks to Jordy Nelson to Jace Sternberger, the baton has been passed

Edited by Shanedorf

On 5/12/2020 at 1:44 PM, JBURGE said:

This response just epitomizes what's wrong with our world now. 

Poster 1 does a bit of research, looks back on some college tape and the combine footage, explains his findings and offers some solutions. 

Poster 2 says that's stupid, why would we try to look any deeper than the surface, an apple is an apple, we will see if it ends up being a good apple.

I have to agree with Gizmo, though "senseless" is certainly not the word I would use. I think you look at the tape and you have to wonder what the coaching staff is seeing in either of these guys in regards to blocking though personally, I think it's a consistency issue; when they're on, they're on when they're off, they're off. On the other hand, how much to Lewis have left in the tank? IMO Sternberger was drafted to be a move-TE first while he catches up to speed on blocking assignments and technique given when he showed at A&M under Jimbo Fisher. Likewise, Deguara gets to sit behind him and do the same. I still don't think Deguara was worth a 3rd, but I like what I see on tape of him. He actually played quite well against Ohio St. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3nAsUWVNws

In the first 4 or 5 plays, you'll notice that he blocks pretty well though you'll notice on the second play, he gets stood up a little too quickly but secures the block nonetheless. He's also split out wide several times and is able to create separation. His release is pretty nice as well. Re-watching that tape makes me wonder if he's one of these guys who will be a better pro than college player.

Overall, I mean...these are 3rd round picks, we're not expecting them to be Rob Gronkowski or George Kittle Day 1. I would also venture to guess that we'll draft yet another TE on Day 3 next year who will essentially be Lewis' replacement.

BIG DOG

“I was really excited to see ‘Big Dog’ come back,” Rodgers said last month. “He not only provides a great presence to our run-blocking scheme but our locker room. He’s just a consummate professional, a fantastic leader for our football team. Bringing him back was an important part of shoring up that (tight end) room.”

Pro Football Focus graded him out as one of the top run-blocking tight ends in the NFL, a key factor as the Packers leaned more and more on Aaron Jones and the run game, and Lewis even caught 15 passes on just 19 targets for 156 yards and a score.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/09/packers-thrilled-to-have-te-marcedes-lewis-back-for-2020/

gettyimages-1191293611-e1575248408664.jp

I think H-backs are huge in this scheme as they're more versatile, which is so important in scheme, as they try to give the same looks with many plays out of it, and why we have two 3rd round verstile TEs that could be H-backs.

But, there is also a need for an inline blocker which we have in. "Big Dog" Lewis, but he's aging, anyone got any hope for Looney having a future at TE? I know we haven't seen him there, but I wonder if they see him as a potential future replacement for Lewis? Or not, who knows...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beast said:

I think H-backs are huge in this scheme as they're more versatile, which is so important in scheme, as they try to give the same looks with many plays out of it, and why we have two 3rd round verstile TEs that could be H-backs.

But, there is also a need for an inline blocker which we have in. "Big Dog" Lewis, but he's aging, anyone got any hope for Looney having a future at TE? I know we haven't seen him there, but I wonder if they see him as a potential future replacement for Lewis? Or not, who knows...

Not really. But you can find a Lewis in FA just about evvery year. 

51 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

True. Everyone says they love their "6th OL" TE, but no GMs want to pay them based on that. 

And if he has the talent, Looney will be cheap four at least four years, and they thought something of him in practice at TE.

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why on Earth would you give Looney a 4 year contract?

1) No one said that...

2) Why would anyone give anyone anything?

3) He'd have to earn it...

4) My point was simply he'd have 4 years before he (or anyone without an accrued NFL year) could become a more expensive UFA, and therefore if he could earn a spot, he could be cheaper for four years.

Just like we have kept a number of players why they're on cheaper contracts, but had absolutely no interest in them at a more expensive cost.

From packers.com

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-future-at-tight-end-starts-with-marcedes-lewis

A first-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Packers' veteran tight end has caught 393 passes in a career that's spanned more than 200 regular-season games. Presently, he's one of only three members of his 255-player draft class still on an NFL roster.

The transition to Matt LaFleur's scheme was a positive one for Lewis, whose playing time jumped from 190 offensive snaps (17.7%) in 2018 to 487 (45.2%).  He caught five times as many passes (15) for four times as many yards (139), year over year.

While still considered one of the top blocking tight ends in the league, Lewis also was an important voice in the locker room and an emotional leader on a 14-win Packers squad.

y9io3wd3ftmdlyn0scdo.jpg

Edited by Shanedorf