2020 Tight End Titillating Talk

MacReady

20 hours ago, Joe said:

FWIW, I thought Sternberger played pretty well the other day...

I did too.  We tried overpaying a washed up guy like Graham.  Let him walk and/or retire.   I say let's roll with Lewis as the grizzled vet in the TE room along with Tonyan and go with Sternberger as the starter in 2020.

Edited by Pugger
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I did too.  We tried overpaying a washed up guy like Graham.  Let him walk and/or retire.   I say let's roll with Lewis as the grizzled vet in the TE room along with Tonyan and go with Sternberger as the starter in 2020.

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at Hooper or Henry in free agency, but if Gute doesn't want to throw more money at that position than just go with Sternberger.  He's talented .. just needs an opportunity.  I think his ability to run and move with ball will make him an impact TE in this league.  I'm just not sure if he's quite ready yet.  I'd throw him out there on day one .. sink or swim, kid.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Rodgers wants Lewis back too. We need him as an in-line TE at this point.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I would never wear a Packers Moss 84 jersey  .. not the least bit appealing to me.

No, unfortunately the organization would mandate that if you want to remain a fan (or Owner) in good standing, you'd need to purchase (and wear!) Moss's jersey :)

Hmmm.  We tried free agency with Cook, Bennett and Graham.  We know how Cook turned out and we know that situation.  Bennett and Graham have to be deemed as failures.  

I guess I'm more inclined to bring back Lewis for what he is...a run blocking TE and rolling with Sternberger and Tonyan as opposed to spending large FA dollars, again, for a tight end.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Hmmm.  We tried free agency with Cook, Bennett and Graham.  We know how Cook turned out and we know that situation.  Bennett and Graham have to be deemed as failures.  

I guess I'm more inclined to bring back Lewis for what he is...a run blocking TE and rolling with Sternberger and Tonyan as opposed to spending large FA dollars, again, for a tight end.

I'd feel more confident about Tonyan if he hadnt missed a chunk of the season.

Makes it hard to gauge his 2nd year growth and project his future. It doesnt feel like he got much done this year.

16 hours ago, Leader said:

I'd feel more confident about Tonyan if he hadnt missed a chunk of the season.

Makes it hard to gauge his 2nd year growth and project his future. It doesnt feel like he got much done this year.

He got reps.  Hard to tell if he really made a difference.  Certainly didn't look or feel like it in the passing game.  But I think he may have some run blocking skills.  I think that Jace probably has the higher ceiling as he showed a little more in the passing game.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He got reps.  Hard to tell if he really made a difference.

Agree. Thats what I was kind of speaking to. Cant define him yet. Cant put a fork in him. Cant project great things.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think that Jace probably has the higher ceiling as he showed a little more in the passing game.

Agree #2. Personally, I'd like to think Sternberger becomes TE1 for us next year. I dont think we're gonna be drafting a TE1 prospect this year. JG's got the experience and can do everything on the field (some things better than others....) - but his dynamic receiving skill days are behind him now.

Overall - we got a lot of nothing much from the TE position this year...which was disappointing. Other teams are virtually surviving off their TE production. We struggled to get our targets. Different schemes...got it....but if you've got the goods at a position.....you fit it into your scheme.