2020 Tight End Titillating Talk

MacReady

On 1/28/2020 at 5:20 PM, vegas492 said:

I only saw a little of Moss this year, but he looks like about 2/3 of the developmental tight ends in the league...though he may actually be a tick slower.

Jace looked smoother and faster as a rookie, for a reference.  But, if he goes to the combine, it'll be interesting to see how he tests.  

He's explosive for a TE but not so much as a receiver. I think he's Evan Engram...

Is Sternberger considered a "move TE"  ?

from PackerWire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/07/packers-rookie-review-te-jace-sternberger/

More impressively, Sternberger gave terrific effort and looked capable as a multi-positional blocker. The Texas A&M product entered the NFL as a passing game threat. Over a limited sample size as a rookie, he showed he can line up at inline tight end, H-back and even fullback and contribute as a blocker. The Packers like his potential as a matchup problem at several positions. Sternberger’s combination of athleticism, receiving potential, toughness and versatility give him a real shot at being a breakout player for the Packers in 2020"

usatsi_13933947.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

• Like 2

Three receptions.  Fifteen yards.  One touchdown.  Breakout candidate. 

Jokes aside though, it really really sucks he missed all that time due to injury.  Tight end is one of the least important positions in football, and yet one of the toughest to adapt from college to pro.  Probably the worst importance to learning curve ratio in all of football.  I feel like 2020 he will flash, then 2021 be a legitimate breakout candidate. 

I'm predicting about 28 catches, 3 touchdowns for him overall in 2020. 

Edited by Outpost31

What are the chances that the Packers can teach Looney Tunes to block DE's and LB's effectively ?
Letting him learn from M. Lewis seems viable and at 6'3 and 280 he's got the mass. He also understands how DL's think

What I don't know is how huge of a mountain he has to climb to become a blocking TE in the NFL
Any insight appreciated

green-bay-packers-defensive-lineman-jame

9 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

What are the chances that the Packers can teach Looney Tunes to block DE's and LB's effectively ?
Letting him learn from M. Lewis seems viable and at 6'3 and 280 he's got the mass. He also understands how DL's think

What I don't know is how huge of a mountain he has to climb to become a blocking TE in the NFL
Any insight appreciated

green-bay-packers-defensive-lineman-jame

I mentioned this when the Looney news first came through, but his athletic numbers are very close to Richard Rodgers at 30 lbs heavier. Not that I actually think that means he has a future at the position, but it's fun to imagine in the doldrums when there is no other football.

• Like 1

Ironically, they also went to the same school although the numbers say more about Rodgers and less about Looney.

Look, this is a last ditch effort to salvage a Day 3 pick and he'll get cut in training camp and wind up in the XFL. Sure, he'll come to camp 20 lb.s lighter and at least look the part if he has any knowledge of a route tree unless we're trying to make him our version of Patrick Ricard, which I highly doubt...

...there's really nothing to see here...

Edited by Joe

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not gonna work, but there's no harm in trying. 

This is where I was hoping for some more insight. Is learning proper blocking technique at this stage just a hill too far ?

He has enough sand in his pants and he knows how a DL is coached. Not ideal length at 6'3, but that shouldn't be a show stopper
What will be his undoing and why is it so unlikely to work ? I know many others have failed in similar circumstances, I'm just trying to understand why