Outpost31

2020 Tight End Titillating Talk

35 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

This is where I was hoping for some more insight. Is learning proper blocking technique at this stage just a hill too far ?

He has enough sand in his pants and he knows how a DL is coached. Not ideal length at 6'3, but that shouldn't be a show stopper
What will be his undoing and why is it so unlikely to work ? I know many others have failed in similar circumstances, I'm just trying to understand why

Blocking is a lot about attitude.  One would think that a former DL would have that "nasty" in him to do that dirty work...and enjoy it.

Technique can be taught.  But attitude really can't be taught.

And really, the TE does need to run routes.  Even ML can get out on routes and doesn't look half bad, besides being slow.  So if there is a true "undoing", I'd wager it is on the mental part regarding how to run routes and look smooth enough while doing that.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So if there is a true "undoing", I'd wager it is on the mental part regarding how to run routes and look smooth enough while doing that.

makes sense. If you can't be competent in the passing game - that negates the intrinsic value of a TE.
The defense knows a WR will go out into a pattern, but they don't know for sure if a TE will.

Looney's quick for his size, he put some good numbers up in his workout and he plays to them a little.  He just simple didn't have the strength and technique to actually move people when he engaged on the line.  He couldn't stack and shed, couldn't win the hands battle, and his bull rush was ineffective.  That's just not going to cut it in the interior of the line.

As a TE, at least he can maybe get better use out of his physical gifts.  35.5" vert, 4.37 shuttle and 4.87 40 isn't bad at 290 lbs.  Drop him to 265 and he should be pretty quick and he already understands the fundamentals of using your hands and proper placement, even if it'll be different on this side.  To be clear, I don't actually see this working out, but why not give it a shot since he has no future on the line at this point.