2020 Tight End Titillating Talk

MacReady

35 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

This is where I was hoping for some more insight. Is learning proper blocking technique at this stage just a hill too far ?

He has enough sand in his pants and he knows how a DL is coached. Not ideal length at 6'3, but that shouldn't be a show stopper
What will be his undoing and why is it so unlikely to work ? I know many others have failed in similar circumstances, I'm just trying to understand why

Blocking is a lot about attitude.  One would think that a former DL would have that "nasty" in him to do that dirty work...and enjoy it.

Technique can be taught.  But attitude really can't be taught.

And really, the TE does need to run routes.  Even ML can get out on routes and doesn't look half bad, besides being slow.  So if there is a true "undoing", I'd wager it is on the mental part regarding how to run routes and look smooth enough while doing that.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So if there is a true "undoing", I'd wager it is on the mental part regarding how to run routes and look smooth enough while doing that.

makes sense. If you can't be competent in the passing game - that negates the intrinsic value of a TE.
The defense knows a WR will go out into a pattern, but they don't know for sure if a TE will.

Looney's quick for his size, he put some good numbers up in his workout and he plays to them a little.  He just simple didn't have the strength and technique to actually move people when he engaged on the line.  He couldn't stack and shed, couldn't win the hands battle, and his bull rush was ineffective.  That's just not going to cut it in the interior of the line.

As a TE, at least he can maybe get better use out of his physical gifts.  35.5" vert, 4.37 shuttle and 4.87 40 isn't bad at 290 lbs.  Drop him to 265 and he should be pretty quick and he already understands the fundamentals of using your hands and proper placement, even if it'll be different on this side.  To be clear, I don't actually see this working out, but why not give it a shot since he has no future on the line at this point.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

MLF with some glowing coach-speak on Sternberger:

“Here’s what I love about Jace Sternberger: I know the game’s not too big for him,” LaFleur said. “He loves to compete, and he’s so versatile. Whether it’s inline, or it’s moving into an H-back, fullback-type position. The guy has contact courage. He’s not afraid to put his face on people. He’s a much better blocker than anyone ever thought he was coming out of Texas A&M. I’m just excited for his future.”

15 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

MLF with some glowing coach-speak on Sternberger:

“Here’s what I love about Jace Sternberger: I know the game’s not too big for him,” LaFleur said. “He loves to compete, and he’s so versatile. Whether it’s inline, or it’s moving into an H-back, fullback-type position. The guy has contact courage. He’s not afraid to put his face on people. He’s a much better blocker than anyone ever thought he was coming out of Texas A&M. I’m just excited for his future.”

Good! Now get away from Hooper! Be cheap at TE this year and give last years third round pick a shot to start. Get another guy later in the draft too to give yourself another at bat with the position of you like.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Good! Now get away from Hooper! Be cheap at TE this year and give last years third round pick a shot to start. Get another guy later in the draft too to give yourself another at bat with the position of you like.

Are you proposing a draft and develop philosophy?

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

Are you proposing a draft and develop philosophy?

I’m wise enough to know you can’t pay everyone. This team needs a pile of more picks IMO. Too many holes and the depth at every position other than RB needs talent. Bad spot to be in.

8 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I’m wise enough to know you can’t pay everyone. This team needs a pile of more picks IMO. Too many holes and the depth at every position other than RB needs talent. Bad spot to be in.

I tend to agree with this.

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Why are people down on Hooper ? He’s the reliable second option we need...

I want Hooper, since we need a TE and we haven’t had a plus TE since Finely’s 2 healthy years....but I get the hate. He’s going to get top of market money and he’s like the 10th best TE in the league, a clear tier down from the elite guys. Nobody has ever said “we need to stop Austin Hooper.”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

It depends on your definition of hole. We have a lot of net neutral (like 60-65 pff guys) starting. We don’t see a 2018 situation where we are starting a few Bells/Brice/Williams our of position... guys who will lose more than they win. We need to fix ILB, TE, and OT right now. Other than that we have mostly guys who don’t get beat.

I’ll also say most teams are worse off

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I want Hooper, since we need a TE and we haven’t had a plus TE since Finely’s 2 healthy years....but I get the hate. He’s going to get top of market money and he’s like the 10th best TE in the league, a clear tier down from the elite guys. Nobody has ever said “we need to stop Austin Hooper.”

Not when you have Julio Jones they're not lol.

10 best TE? Outside of the big 3, who do you have being better than Hooper? Maybe Engram? 

He's a stable secondary option which is what the team needs. MLF loves two TEs, I'm in. Give me him over Robby Anderson. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I wouldn't hate Hooper, but that contract will suck for what you get. I'm starting to come around to Stern, Lewis, and Jimmy on a reduced contract ( if he will) and a draft pick.

On 1/20/2020 at 3:10 PM, Outpost31 said:

I’m probably in the minority, but I want Graham restructured (or cut and re-signed), Marcedes Lewis back and hope Sternberger is a decent receiving option.

That, or Austin Hooper.

Stay away from Ebron, Eifert, Henry.  

n/m  

Edited by Pugger

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I wouldn't hate Hooper, but that contract will suck for what you get. I'm starting to come around to Stern, Lewis, and Jimmy on a reduced contract ( if he will) and a draft pick.

Can someone who understands contracts please tell me this....How do we get Jimmy on a "reduced" contract?  

He's owed like $11M.  If/when he is cut, we "gain" 8M in space, but $3M becomes dead money.

So...if he is cut and re-signed, that is $3M we are already paying him via the cut, then there is the cost of the new contract.  He's not a "vets minimum" kind of player.  My guess is that he's a 5-6M/year player at this point and time.  I don't see a scenario where he accepts to come back to GB on a one year, $2M deal or $3M deal.  Which with the dead money becomes $5M or $6M.

So...does GB need to extend him to lessen his contract?  How would that work?  Take some salary and convert it into a guaranteed bonus?  Spread it over a few years?  Again....that seems to me like throwing good money after bad money.

What am I missing?  I'm sure I'm missing something concerning contracts.  Because I'd like him back on a lesser deal.  I just don't have a clue how that can happen.