2020 Tight End Titillating Talk

MacReady

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

What am I missing?

That it's likely that there's no number at which it works for both parties....extend ? No chance from Packers side.
The only deal they'd want is a 1 year contract at vet minimum and he probably doesn't want that option
You have to cut him/trade him to wipe out that huge salary. After that he's a FA and you can see how bad he wants to stick around.
But he's a part time player now and Jace, Marcedes and Tonyan are a better use of snaps than Jimmy

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I wouldn't hate Hooper, but that contract will suck for what you get. I'm starting to come around to Stern, Lewis, and Jimmy on a reduced contract ( if he will) and a draft pick.

It better be a darned reduced contract for Jimmy … another year older, another year slower. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Can someone who understands contracts please tell me this....How do we get Jimmy on a "reduced" contract?  

He's owed like $11M.  If/when he is cut, we "gain" 8M in space, but $3M becomes dead money.

So...if he is cut and re-signed, that is $3M we are already paying him via the cut, then there is the cost of the new contract.  He's not a "vets minimum" kind of player.  My guess is that he's a 5-6M/year player at this point and time.  I don't see a scenario where he accepts to come back to GB on a one year, $2M deal or $3M deal.  Which with the dead money becomes $5M or $6M.

So...does GB need to extend him to lessen his contract?  How would that work?  Take some salary and convert it into a guaranteed bonus?  Spread it over a few years?  Again....that seems to me like throwing good money after bad money.

What am I missing?  I'm sure I'm missing something concerning contracts.  Because I'd like him back on a lesser deal.  I just don't have a clue how that can happen.

Can't you just sign him to an extension where you can cut him next year with no/little impact?

33 minutes ago, Packer Dave said:

Haden Hurst is on the trade block, asking price is believed to be a late 2nd or 3rd, still have 2 years on rookie contract with a 5th year option. Trade someone like Josh Jackson or Lane Taylor and a late round pick for Hurst.

Without hesitation.  Josh Jackson doesn't look like he'll ever get on the field and Taylor is gonna be cut anyway.  

I don't want anything to do with a huge contract for Hooper but I also think it's really dangerous to go into next year with Jace and Tonyan as our #1 and #2 TE.  

52 minutes ago, Packer Dave said:

Haden Hurst is on the trade block, asking price is believed to be a late 2nd or 3rd, still have 2 years on rookie contract with a 5th year option. Trade someone like Josh Jackson or Lane Taylor and a late round pick for Hurst.

This would be ideal if Gute could swing it.  I wouldn't give up a 2nd or 3rd for the guy, but would do a player swap plus later pick type deal.

59 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Can't you just sign him to an extension where you can cut him next year with no/little impact?

I thought about that...here is what I'm coming up with.

You've got $11M in him this year.  $3M guaranteed.

Add another year to the deal and add another 3M of guaranteed money (from the $11M salary).  Gives him 6M guaranteed.  Then you subtract 3M from the 11M and you have 8M leftover that could be pushed to 2021 cap as salary.  Dead money would be $3M, with 5M of gained cap space.  The thing I don't understand is his minimum salary for 2020.  

Even if doing something like that, you are throwing more money at a bad contract.  And that is without adding anything to the deal, just re-working that existing thing.  And I'm not sure that Jimmy would go for that.

It's just odd to me that I cannot come up with a "win-win" when talking about "reducing" Jimmie's contract.

Leaves me with two likely options.  #1 He's cut and we gain 8M in cap with 3M dead money.  #2 He's on the team for $11M this season.

Conclusion?  He's gonna be cut and gone.  

If anyone else can offer up exactly how to get him on a reduced deal, I'm all ears.  I cannot see that angle.

6 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Not when you have Julio Jones they're not lol.

10 best TE? Outside of the big 3, who do you have being better than Hooper? Maybe Engram? 

He's a stable secondary option which is what the team needs. MLF loves two TEs, I'm in. Give me him over Robby Anderson. 

First off, like I said, I do want Hooper since he is a nice piece.

With that said, outside the big 3, the next 15 TEs are kind of in the same tier. If someone didn't want to give Hoop money for that reason, I'd get it. He's a good starter, not awesome.

Edited by pacman5252

38 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

If Jimmy played took a 7M paycut (4M cap hit), I'd be willing to listen. Otherwise, he should be cut.

Okay, roll with that.  How do you do it?

Cut him, that costs $3M.  Sign him to a one year deal worth $1M?  That simply isn't happening.  He's got more value in the free agency market than that.

Cut him, that costs $3M.  Sign him to a $4M deal?  That's $7M on him then.

Take his existing deal, reduce the 8M salary to 1M?  Make that extra 1M guaranteed?  I just don't know.

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Okay, roll with that.  How do you do it?

Cut him, that costs $3M.  Sign him to a one year deal worth $1M?  That simply isn't happening.  He's got more value in the free agency market than that.

Cut him, that costs $3M.  Sign him to a $4M deal?  That's $7M on him then.

Take his existing deal, reduce the 8M salary to 1M?  Make that extra 1M guaranteed?  I just don't know.

What do you think his market is? Legitimately, he is probably looking at vet minimum

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

First off, like I said, I do want Hooper since he is a nice piece.

With that said, outside the big 3, the next 15 TEs are kind of in the same tier. If someone didn't want to give Hoop money for that reason, I'd get it. He's a good starter, not awesome.

I disagree quite a bit. I think Hooper is clear tier two on his own.

23 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

What do you think his market is? Legitimately, he is probably looking at vet minimum

I'd say his value is about $5M/year.  And I"m usually about 33% off, so really, 6.5M.

Even Lewis got 2.1M last year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd say his value is about $5M/year.  And I"m usually about 33% off, so really, 6.5M.

Even Lewis got 2.1M last year.

Yep. He was the #16 TE in the league in yards. That’s not vet min territory. 

Vet min  For TEs puts you in the tier mostly filled with guys who are getting 2-digit yardage totals. 

16 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Yep. He was the #16 TE in the league in yards. That’s not vet min territory. 

Vet min  For TEs puts you in the tier mostly filled with guys who are getting 2-digit yardage totals. 

He was 16th in yards because of usage, not because he was good