2020 Tight End Titillating Talk

MacReady

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Can someone who understands contracts please tell me this....How do we get Jimmy on a "reduced" contract?  

He's owed like $11M.  If/when he is cut, we "gain" 8M in space, but $3M becomes dead money.

So...if he is cut and re-signed, that is $3M we are already paying him via the cut, then there is the cost of the new contract.  He's not a "vets minimum" kind of player.  My guess is that he's a 5-6M/year player at this point and time.  I don't see a scenario where he accepts to come back to GB on a one year, $2M deal or $3M deal.  Which with the dead money becomes $5M or $6M.

So...does GB need to extend him to lessen his contract?  How would that work?  Take some salary and convert it into a guaranteed bonus?  Spread it over a few years?  Again....that seems to me like throwing good money after bad money.

What am I missing?  I'm sure I'm missing something concerning contracts.  Because I'd like him back on a lesser deal.  I just don't have a clue how that can happen.

Best way is to forget the 3m and consider it dead money regardless of the Jimmy Graham contract.

So what you are left with is Jimmy Graham for a one year 8m contract.  How much is he worth to you ?  He isn't worth 8m so you can forget that. Is it worth paying him 5m to keep him ?  If so (which I don't advocate) then you offer him 5m to keep him. The resulting 8m cap hit is a bit of a red herring because 3m of it is paid regardless. You have to pay the 5m to keep him and the 3m dead money.  

Or you offer a multi year deal which doesn't seem like a great idea to me. 

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

He was 16th in yards because of usage, not because he was good

With respect, I disagree completely with your assessment.  This assessment shows, in my opinion, a fundamental misunderstanding of the state of tight ends in the league.  There are not 16 tight ends in the league that were unquestionably better than Jimmy Graham last year.  

As far as usage, that is demonstrably false.  He was open more often than he was thrown to.  Hesitance to throw kept him from producing what he was capable of producing.  

His production/targets back this up.

18th in targets.  18th in receptions.  18th in yards.

There is nothing to suggest that Graham’s production does not correlate to how often he was used.  Keep in mind the number of targets that were clearly throwaways notched as targets.

It’s all moot because Graham is looking more and more likely to get cut, but I will forever defend him.  He was overpaid from day one, but he was as effective as you ever could have asked for given his age.  I’m going to be really sad when we win a Super Bowl and he’s not part of it, but also happy because we will have won a Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

He seems to think it’s all but official we’re cutting Graham.

fair guess Gute was trying to make a trade...and then Jimmy/agent tell Demovsky that the release is "imminent"
Allows Jimmy to choose his next destination instead of getting traded to a loser with cash to burn

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

fair guess Gute was trying to make a trade...and then Jimmy/agent tell Demovsky that the release is "imminent"
Allows Jimmy to choose his next destination instead of getting traded to a loser with cash to burn

There are some dumb teams in the league, but none dumb enough to trade for Graham and that contract. 

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Sounds like the most probable thing.

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It’s all moot because Graham is looking more and more likely to get cut, but I will forever defend him.  He was overpaid from day one, but he was as effective as you ever could have asked for given his age.  I’m going to be really sad when we win a Super Bowl and he’s not part of it, but also happy because we will have won a Super Bowl.

Was hoping for the best when he was signed.  Gute gave it a shot and it didn't pan out for the $$ paid.  Age caught up to him; maybe even faster then expected.  Probably wasn't the best signing in hindsight but if he's cut as expected … thanks for the effort and good luck.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Was hoping for the best when he was signed.  Gute gave it a shot and it didn't pan out for the $$ paid.  Age caught up to him; maybe even faster then expected.  Probably wasn't the best signing in hindsight but if he's cut as expected … thanks for the effort and good luck.

I saw Jimmy G do some great things on the football field, just not in GB. I was surprised when he was signed, because of his age and chronic knee problems. I don't put it all on Gute though. He has to rely on his pro personnel scouts. Does anyone remember who the pro personnel scout was back then?

31 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Does anyone remember who the pro personnel scout was back then?

We didn't I think.

In 2018 the staff was:

Jon-Eric Sullivan Co-Director of Player Personnel
John Wojciechowski Co-Director of Player Personnel
Chad Brinker Assistant Director of Pro Scouting/Salary Cap Analyst
Richmond Williams Pro Scout
Autumn Thomas-Beenenga Pro Personnel Coordinator

In 2019 to now the staff is:

Richmond Williams Director of Pro Personnel [PROMOTION]

I don't know the difference between player personnel and pro personnel. xD

Edit: We had Tim Terry , Assistant Director of Pro Personnel before he left in 2017 but never replaced his position until Gute appointed Richmond Williams.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Chili said:

We didn't I think.

In 2018 the staff was:

Richmond Williams Pro Scout

In 2019 to now the staff is:

Richmond Williams Director of Pro Personnel [PROMOTION]

I don't know the difference between player personnel and pro personnel. xD

Edit: We had Tim Terry , Assistant Director of Pro Personnel before he left in 2017 but never replaced his position until Gute appointed Richmond Williams.

Based on my 1 min of bio research, Richard Williams likely scouted Demarious Randall

ttps://www.packers.com/team/front-office-roster/richmond-williams

• 3 weeks later...