2020 Tight End Titillating Talk

MacReady

Part of the Packers quest to get more speed on the field should start with the two aging tight ends.  Tonyan can’t seem to mesh , he does the worst thing you can do when playing with Rodgers, he gets pushed off routes like MVS does, and is not assignment sure. He’s had two seasons.   I see the TE position in a much worse place.  If all Lewis is ever going to do is block, put in a sixth lineman in the heavy package.  Jimmy is finished.  I think a veteran ,not aging ,TE in FA and a couple rookies , draft or udfa will at least put more speed out there.  Expecting Jace to continue his upward trajectory. 

Edited by Norse65
Clarity
  • Like 1

How do people feel about Albert Okwuegbunam now?  I remember people talking about him at the end of last season like he was greatest tight end to ever play the game but haven't heard much lately, and the draft boards I've seen now have him as anywhere from the 4th to 6th best tight end in the upcoming draft, even with the TE class being considered weak this year.  Not saying he's good or bad or in between or that anyone is or has been right or wrong about him, just genuinely curious.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/latest-nfl-news-and-rumors-from-mobile-at-the-2020-senior-bowl/

Austin Hooper is another soon-to-be free agent tight end who is expected to sign a big contract once the frenzy begins. Where could Hooper land?

Speculation here in Mobile says the Arizona Cardinals, Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks are teams expected to court Hooper. Don’t leave out the Washington Redskins, who may be ready to move on from Jordan Reed who has struggled with injuries.

Its rumor season!

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I’d rather double down on gambles and sign both Reed and Eifert.  After looking at Hopper’s body of work, I’m not all that impressed.

If reasonable dollar wise, I like this idea.  Imagine what 2 tight ends like that could do.

Edited by coachbuns

Graham cut, Lewis back is my call.  Lewis has a role, is cheap, and is a good mentor for young learners.

We need to put available cap treasure into keeping our own valued vets this year WITH an eye to next year.  What is left over in available cap I want spent on D-Line and obvious holes (like if Martinez walks).   If we were to bring in a big name veteran TE it is only the value signing with a prove it contract I'd be interested in.  So, yes, likely someone with injury history. 

Lewis, Sternberger, and a fairly high draft pick.  I have soured on Tonyan.  XFL might be more to his speed and I don't mean foot speed....

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What?  You want them to sign two injury-prone TEs?

Yes. Because while one of them is hurt the other one will be healthy.  They’re both capable of being highly effective, and they’re going to cost a fraction of what equal value provides because of their injury history.  Same reward as signing someone like Henry/Hooper, but both would be on short deals and affordable.  Personally I feel like it’s time to just let the TE position die here and wait for an Aaron Jones type surprise hit.  We’ve tried solving this problem every single year for what seems like forever and we always get it wrong.  

TE for us is what Defense Against the Dark Arts is to Hogwarts.