Titans DC Dean Pees Retires

ttitansfan4life

If we can't knock this hire out of the park with a Wade Phillips-like hiring, my excitement for next season is going to take a huge hit. Don't think most appreciate just how good Pees was/is. Was really hoping Pees would give us 1 more year and we could get him an elite pass rusher to complete things, felt confident we could compete for a super bowl that way.

Now the concern becomes whoever comes here Vrabel won't give majority/complete control of the defense to.

• Like 1

We’re built to win now I want a experience play caller 1 that has a track record of adjusting & could possibly stay on staff for years to come for continuity.. I don’t want a young guy do not want to be frustrated with growing pains, aka art smith aka Kevin Carter 

1 hour ago, titanrick said:

I agree.  Defense was pretty dominant early in the year.  Then we lost nearly every corner we had and were running PS guys out there.  Predictably, we struggled.  But those game plans to stop Brady and Lamar on the road in the playoffs in back-to-back weeks?  Darn near flawless.

His plan against the Chiefs sucked though, and he failed to adjust. He has a history of failing to adjust. 

6 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

His plan against the Chiefs sucked though, and he failed to adjust. He has a history of failing to adjust. 

I mean he ran zone and man coverage. He blitzed and it was’t successful. The players really let him down in that game. Our pass-rush sucks and he had to create sacks with his blitz packages. There’s only so much you can do with this defense against Mahomes and a track team.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Really wouldn’t blame pees it’s only so much you can do in case you don’t know speed kills, when you play a team when  every WR’s runs 4.3 4.44 & 4.2 oh TE 4.5 going against a secondary we’re the fastest corner runs 4.39 everyone else 4.5 4.6 oh & the QB is basically Jesus with a helmet on 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 2

I get the appeal with Wade Phillips certainly not taking anything away from him he's had some stellar defenses over the years, but the guy is 72 years old. If we're looking for a guy that's going to be able to stick around for awhile we're just as likely to lose Wade to retirement in a year or two as we would be losing a young defensive coordinator to a HC job if our defense really plays well. Ideally I want a guy that's a little bit younger that has already had his HC shot, so there was more likelihood of some serious continuity. I just can't think of a defensive guy off the top of my head that fits that bill. 

Just doing a Google search on the best passing defense in college football. I learned that Kentucky had one of the best. 

And that Brad White is the DC. He was a LB coach for the Colts couple years back. 

Not saying I want him. But that is the kind of background I'd be interested in. Someone that can stop spread defenses and has NFL experience. 

39 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Just doing a Google search on the best passing defense in college football. I learned that Kentucky had one of the best. 

And that Brad White is the DC. He was a LB coach for the Colts couple years back. 

Not saying I want him. But that is the kind of background I'd be interested in. Someone that can stop spread defenses and has NFL experience. 

Kentucky's head coach, Mark Stoops, is the one I'd pin most responsible for their defensive success. Even took a bigger role in assisting the play calling for it this season.

That's the thing with looking at coordinators, have to look at the head coach and how much input they had on that specific side of the ball as well. I want whoever we hire to be the primary guy responsible for the defense of whatever defenses he's coached.

We really just need to offer Wade Phillips whatever he wants.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

https://titansized.com/2020/01/20/tennessee-titans-hot-board-new-defensive-coordinator/2/

for you guys that’s saying no to philips because he supposedly fell off 😩🤣 man who has a better resume than this, that is proven & available 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️. 

I'm more intrigued by the last page. Hiring Luke Kuechly to coach the LBs would be an interesting move if we promoted McKenzie.