Titans DC Dean Pees Retiring

dtait93

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He’ll be back 

This isn't a situation where he was forced out like Baltimore. He's beloved here, by both Vrabel/the FO and the fanbase. If he wanted to keep coaching the DC job still would have been his.

My excitement for next season has already taken a huge hit and the off-season has barely started.

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

This isn't a situation where he was forced out like Baltimore. He's beloved here, by both Vrabel/the FO and the fanbase. If he wanted to keep coaching the DC job still would have been his.

My excitement for next season has already taken a huge hit and the off-season has barely started.

Imagine losing excitement because Dean Pees is no longer your DC. You should be celebrating.

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Your team just got better, be happy about that. Don't worry, we'll see you next season.

I dunno what all issues the Ravens had with Pees, but you can talk to literally any Titans fan or reporter or anything else and they'll tell you Pees was fantastic here. Maybe it's because he had Vrabel giving input on the defensive game planning and play calling(to an extent at least, it was still largely Pees' defense) and that fixed some of the deficiencies he might have had in Baltimore, who knows. But I feel confident in saying his two years here he was a top 5 or 6 defensive coordinator in the league, and trying to replace that and just assuming we're going to get better off of it is a tall ask.

If we can get someone like Wade I'd feel confident. Beyond that, I'm assuming regression next year until proven otherwise.

33 minutes ago, Elky said:

This man cost us 19-0.

Man, if only Dean Pees coulda got out there and caught that pick for Asante Samuel or actually sacked the most immobile QB I think I've ever seen in Eli Manning instead of letting him break free and throw up a prayer.

Man, if only Dean Pees played QB he probably could have managed more than 5.5 YPA throwing to Randy Moss and Wes Welker, and put more than 14 points on the board with one of the greatest offenses ever.

BS like this is why it's hard to take most people's criticisms of coaches seriously.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Your team just got better, be happy about that. Don't worry, we'll see you next season.

This makes no sense just because he doesn't work well with 1 team which just so happens you are a fan of.  Doesn't mean he hasn't and didn't work great for another team that fits him better with better players that fit his scheme.   He done pretty well in Tennesee which is why most of their fans are going to miss him so theirs no reason to say they upgraded when they haven't even hired anyone yet to replace someone that actually did well for them even though he might not have done well for your team.   To me it sounds more like your still salty and whining that he and his titans defense man handled your team this year in the playoffs. 

Edited by FalconFan13
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Imagine having the number one offense in the league, going 14-2, having home field advantage, then putting up just 12 on this DC.

And I think the consensus is, that the Ravens overall didn't play a very good game. Those dropped touchdowns and two failed 4 and 1 conversions could have changed the outcome of the game and you guys would most likely not be so happy with Pees defensive scheme.

Now, Ravens missed their opportunities due to drops and Titans executed well on the day. That doesn't change, that with Dean Pees as defensive coordinator, Ravens had so many heart breaking losses, because he insisted on his conservative bend don't break approach, which led to numerous losses on last minute drives. 

Ravens defense with Pees was never truly bad - but the truth to the statistics is, that Pees defenses beat up on bad teams/rookie QB's, and faltered against greater defenses. Dean Pees Ravens defense would collaps if it lost one of its starters. He also didn't rotate very well.

Worst of all, Pees defense with the Ravens led teams march up and down the field, keeping the Ravens offense off the field. Flacco later in his career didn't have a downfield passing game to the level of his best years, so Pees scheme was often useless as we didn't play with a lead.

Pees inherited a good defense, which got worse once he became DC. After Pees left, the defense got noticeably better.

I am sorry, that people don't "buy" Ravens fans arguments and think that the divisional game is something that proves a point. But we had several years with him, so I would say people should put just a little faith into what we are saying.

While Pees get some blame for the loss to the Patriots in the 2014 season, where we had our most likely best overall team till this year, I can't fault him much for that one, as it took some trickery from the Patriots and cornerbacks picked up off the street a few days prior to the game to beat the defense.

34 minutes ago, ET80 said:

By the logic displayed in this thread, the Titans are already DOA because failed DC Mike Vrabel is their HC.

No two jobs are the same - even if the DC title remains.

I think it is because there are two different takes in this thread. 1. which are Titans fans telling Ravens fans that Pees was a good DC with the Ravens, and 2. Ravens fans telling Titans fans they are lucky he retired.

Both takes a wrong - although I saw on gameday how Titans fans reacted when Dean Pees kept calling soft and conservative schemes when the team was behind against the Texans.

I have talked to Patriots fans who referred to Patriots mostly playing with a lead and had the ability to score quickly in their offensive prime as a reason why Pees offense was regarded as good, while they at the same time hated his philosophy as it relied heavily on the offense to produce.