Build Aaron Rodgers' Ideal Pass Catching Corps

incognito_man

There's going to be a lot of focus on pass-catchers this offseason. I want to hear what YOU think is an ideal corps for Aaron Rodgers, current utility and skillset. Do we need a deep threat if Rodgers' deep ball accuracy is cheeks? Do we need big targets like Lazard who will win 50/50s Rodgers won't throw? Do we need guys who are crisp route runners that can consistently release and gain separation but may have weaknesses elsewhere? Do we need a hands TE or a move TE?

(1) Adams is a staple

The rest is up for debate, don't even necessarily need names (but bonus incog points for finding guys in draft of FA that fit target profiles!).

I just feel like 2019 pass-catching corps was good enough for the great/elite QBs to consistently win with, but may not complement Rodgers' skillset anymore. Would assume MLF and company will evaluate the season and try to revamp that room. I don't know that we need to break the bank or spend significant draft capital to make this unit more Rodgers-friendly for then next couple years.

What say ye? (Assume we can't afford 6 Kumerow's)

Edited by incognito_man

Relying on the running game instead of Rodgers should be the way forward. Case in point, the Titans. With a WR corps consisting of an underperforming TE, a VERY good rookie WR and an underperforming WR they made the career average or less QB work great. Rodgers with all his cash should be able to game manage us just a little further. Give the man a very talented rookie.

• Like 2

Route running needs to be the #1 trait you look for. Don't care if they run 4.6, if they separate from college DBs with routes over pure athletic ability that will carry over. Rodgers is a separation thrower. If you can get a guy who's a 4.4 guy who can separate, even better. MVS has shown us speed doesn't matter when you can't run a route.

At TE we need a move TE, Cook & Finley mold. Rodgers doesn't use the big basketball types to their full potential, we need to stop wasting money on them.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Route running needs to be the #1 trait you look for. Don't care if they run 4.6, if they separate from college DBs with routes over pure athletic ability that will carry over. Rodgers is a separation thrower. If you can get a guy who's a 4.4 guy who can separate, even better. MVS has shown us speed doesn't matter when you can't run a route.

At TE we need a move TE, Cook & Finley mold. Rodgers doesn't use the big basketball types to their full potential, we need to stop wasting money on them.

This. 

Everyone's going to order them by 40 time but RRing is still going to be king, like you said, if they're fast too, great. Trying to take a fast guy and make him into a wr is not going to be a great idea

Realistically? Well at least in my mind realistally. 

Adams, Amari Cooper, Lazard, Kumerow, St Brown, draft pick. If we don't add a draft pick, then MVS might be back.I think you add another elite guy like Cooper, Rodgers has no excuses left. Deliver! The TE can remain the same minus Graham who is cut for cap purposes. RB's are the same too. 

Edited by Golfman

If you accept the fact that I am a total novice at this stuff, I have a name for each of the first four rounds. Each of these wide receivers offer something special that fits with my understanding of Packer needs and requirements. In Round One, especially if I can trade back just a bit, I like Justin Jefferson of LSU. He's 6'3", 192, so he has size, and he's fast enough. His special quality to me is that he has played all three positions including the slot. That versatility requirement for the Packers doesn't get talked about enough IMO. Round Two I like K.J. Hill, Ohio State. 6'0" and 200, so could be a Randall Cobb. He is a shifty, reliable and smart player. Round Three I like Chase Claypool, 6'4", 227, from Notre Dame. Yes, he's tall like Gutey likes, but he is also fast, as in 4.46. For a big, powerful man, that speed is special. And Round Four I like Donovan Peoples-Jones, 6-2, 208, Michigan. Tremendous speed at 4.39. Heck, just let him run jet sweeps and reverses. Plenty of other receivers, plenty of other sizes and skills, but these are the guys that in my mind could fit what Incognito Man is talking about.

Trade two first round draft picks to the Vikings to free Stefon Diggs from the maniacal grasp of Kirk Cousins. Trade an additional two first round draft picks and Lane Taylor to the Bears for Allen Robinson. Re-sign Randall and then trade him to the Browns again for OBJ.

*please make sure the salary cap is disabled before attempting the above trade.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You want undrafted guys. Rodgers likes it when guys exceed their expectations (this year's Lazard, two years ago MVS, three years ago Allison) and then stops throwing to them once the expectation is reset. 

God you get old.

• Like 2

Watch a few highlight reels and I know he's a "speed" guy, but damn does Jalen Reagor have some sweet feet that show some real RR capability IMO. He also is extremely impressive at high pointing and looks like a natural hands catcher. He piqued my interest the most, with Tyler Johnson in second.

• Like 1