Build Aaron Rodgers' Ideal Pass Catching Corps

incognito_man

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

Interpret this information as you please. Pretty easy  to see what I'm trying to say. 

That a teams' starting TE, 3rd and 4th WR got too many targets?  I'm really honestly not sure what you're getting at.  There's always turnover at the bottom of the roster.

Just now, CWood21 said:

That a teams' starting TE, 3rd and 4th WR got too many targets?  I'm really honestly not sure what you're getting at.  There's always turnover at the bottom of the roster.

When almost half of the guys targets may not be in the league after two years, or at the very least are unlikely to produce anywhere else, then maybe it's the talent around him that's not very good. 

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

When almost half of the guys targets may not be in the league after two years, or at the very least are unlikely to produce anywhere else, then maybe it's the talent around him that's not very good. 

Almost half?  That's a hell of a rounding job done there.  If you're going to round, I probably would have gone with a third rather than half, but it is what it is.  And I'm not sure what you're saying that hasn't been already said multiple times.  The lack of talent at WR and TE has been discussed.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Almost half?  That's a hell of a rounding job done there.  If you're going to round, I probably would have gone with a third rather than half, but it is what it is.  And I'm not sure what you're saying that hasn't been already said multiple times.  The lack of talent at WR and TE has been discussed.

If you add in Lazard it's 45% 

If you just add Lewis and not Lazard it's 39%, still extraordinarily high.

Lewis and Lazard together 48%

Continue to nit pick though.

The point is for people who want Rodgers' head, and say he's done; that maybe his "poor play" is due to having a lot of guys on their way out of the NFL sooner than later. 

45 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Last year Rodgers had

60 targets to Jimmy Graham

55 targets to Geronimo Allison 

21 targets  to Jake Kumerow 

56 targets to Marquez Valdez-Scantling 

That comes out to 202 out of 569 attempts; 36% of all of Rodgers' targets

Would it shock anyone if all 4 of these players were out of the league in two years? Hell, 3/4 might be this year. 

Would it shock anyone if these players never started again for anyone or played a significant role for another team? I'm not giving up on MVS but if he has another season like last, some team may take a flyer on him, but he certainly won't start.  It also wouldn't shock me if a team didn't pick him up. Maybe Graham gets lucky and finds a gig this year? He's not playing two, that's for sure. 

How about UDFA Allen Lazard and his 52 targets ( 254 total targets 45%) what is the likelihood of him having a long, successful career in the NFL? Not high. He might be on the list above too after two years.

Mercedes Lewis, 19 targets. He's not employed for his receiving ability. 

Interpret this information as you please. Pretty easy  to see what I'm trying to say. 

Except when you break it down, it's not the receivers failing. It's Rodgers being neurotic with the ball. He looked like Mitch Trubisky two out of the last three games we played this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

You and Alex are bros ... better green and gold kool aid ... beats other flavors.  Maybe you too should try other flavors?

@AlexGreen#20 and I are seemingly smart posters who recognize suboptimal play from the QB position and are not afraid to state such.  There are others that see things similarly.  

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

When you're going through the talent level of the guys around Rodgers you're looking at what numbers (out of 10):

Bakhtiari: 9

Bulaga: 8

Adams: 8

Jones: 7

Linsley: 7

Jenkins: 6

Turner: 5

MVS: 5 (as a #3 receiver. Top 80ish receiver in the NFL)

Graham: 4

Lazard: 3 (as a #2 receiver. Top 50ish receiver in the NFL

Is this squad really lacking in talent around Rodgers?

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

@AlexGreen#20 and I are seemingly smart posters who recognize suboptimal play from the QB position and are not afraid to state such.  There are others that see things similarly.  

Seemingly smart are the major words here  ..   It's not that I or anybody else on this forum doesn't recognize Rodgers isn't what he used to be.  Most accept it as there's not a thing anybody can/will be able to do about it.   If it's your thing to rip his subtoptimal play morning, noon and night ... knock yourself out.      

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Seemingly smart are the major words here  ..   It's not that I or anybody else on this forum doesn't recognize Rodgers isn't what he used to be.  Most accept it as there's not a thing anybody can/will be able to do about it.   If it's your thing to rip his subtoptimal play morning, noon and night ... knock yourself out.      

What is the correct amount of time to be talking about the biggest impediment to the Packers winning a superbowl?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What is the correct amount of time to be talking about the biggest impediment to the Packers winning a superbowl?

Anytime ... I've said countless times Rodgers has to play better.  However, no matter what you think or how bad he plays, he's not going anywhere.     

Edited by coachbuns

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Well that's just dumb. This website isn't dedicated exclusively to evaluating future moves. And even if it was, knowing how busted our QB is, is a vital aspect in trying to build a championship caliber team. 

Ok ... carry on.  Nothing will change for either of us.  You keep ripping until Rodgers is gone  ... I'll keep responding when you go over the edge.

I think we've sat in this forum and discussed Aaron Rodger's lack of talent for the better part of the past 3 years now. We've sat in this forum and discussed the need for more talent at both the WR and TE position for the better part of the entire 2019 season and leading into this 2020 offseason. There is nothing anyone here can say about either one of these that hasn't already been said. 

However, I will say this. When Brett Favre was playing at this age, I dreaded the day he would retire and we would be looking for our QBOTF. I didn't want to see that day come. With Aaron Rodgers? I embrace it. I look forward to it. Now, I don't know if that's because I've grown up as a fan or if that's the difference of play between these 2 quarterbacks at this stage of their careers. This team has the pieces but to me, it doesn't matter because our Quarterback is what is holding this team back. My only question is what's the biggest thing holding him back? Is it his arrogance or it truly his talent dropping off? It's certainly a bit of both, but which outweighs the other? /rant

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 1

I consistently hear from Packer fans how they hate to hear how spoiled they are, but total proof of the level of spoilage is on display. Some of you are going to see incompetent QB play this decade, I hope we avoid it but we've bucked those odds for 30 years now. I'm going to savor every game we've got with HOF QB play. I'm hoping the deep ball is more consistently like it was vs Seattle and less like vs Detroit next year, and hopefully the ball comes out quicker too. There's going to be a handful of plays every game that you might not see a green and gold QB capable of making again in your lifetime. 

I don't consider myself a Kool aid drinker, I actually think I'm one of the few in the middle that recognize the need for better QB play that comes with the salary commitment we've made but also realize how utterly dumb and dramatic the adjectives some have used to describe our recent QB play is.

• Like 8