Build Aaron Rodgers' Ideal Pass Catching Corps

incognito_man

It's not make or break for MVS or ESB as far as making the team, however you can't go into next season hoping one of those guys will emerge to #2 caliber. That's a chance I wouldn't take after watching the pass offense this year. You have to go into training camp with a legit #2 somehow. Right or wrong, Rodgers needs that, and so does the offense heading into year two

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

ah, Rodgers didn't do much in the last game vs Detroit until the very end.  That being said, there will be other WR's coming to town during the off season via draft and free agency.  MVS will have one last chance to show what he can do in preseason but that window of opportunity for him was this year.  He's going to have to step up or step out.

Realistically, I think even with this offense you keep six.

Adams will be a lock. 

Lazard/MVS/EQ will all be fighting it out for spots

You've probably got at least one draft pick and then one other guy via whatever method you choose. 

I don't think there's anyway you take a 28 year old Kumerow over any of the above 3 short of a Moore like personal implosion. 

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It's not make or break for MVS or ESB as far as making the team, however you can't go into next season hoping one of those guys will emerge to #2 caliber. That's a chance I wouldn't take. You have to go into training camp with a legit #2 somehow. Right or wrong, Rodgers needs that, and so does the offense heading into year two

Who in this FA class fits that definition for you? I think there's every reason to believe that a rookie WR and Rodgers are going to have issues. 

The entire Free Agent list of guys who played more than 50% of their team's offensive snaps and their receiving yards:

• Robby Anderson (779)
  • Larry Fitzgerald (804)
  • Emmanuel Sanders (869)
  • Amari Cooper (1189)
  • Zach Pascal (607)
  • Demarcus Robinson (449)
  • Randall Cobb (828)
  • Nelson Agholor (363)
  • Danny Amendola (678)
  • Geronimo Allison (287)
  • Ted Ginn (421)
  • Breshad Perriman (645)

That's the entire list. Cooper, Anderson, some old dudes, and some JAGs. 

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who in this FA class fits that definition for you? I think there's every reason to believe that a rookie WR and Rodgers are going to have issues. 

The entire Free Agent list of guys who played more than 50% of their team's offensive snaps and their receiving yards:

• Robby Anderson (779)
  • Larry Fitzgerald (804)
  • Emmanuel Sanders (869)
  • Amari Cooper (1189)
  • Zach Pascal (607)
  • Demarcus Robinson (449)
  • Randall Cobb (828)
  • Nelson Agholor (363)
  • Danny Amendola (678)
  • Geronimo Allison (287)
  • Ted Ginn (421)
  • Breshad Perriman (645)

That's the entire list. Cooper, Anderson, some old dudes, and some JAGs. 

Trades are another option. Gute tried to trade for Anderson, so I'm guessing there's some smoldering embers there. Who'd a thunk ZSmith would emerge like he did, so maybe there are WRs along the same vein out there. The only other option is drafting a guy that you are confident can step in Day One of camp. Jennings was able to do that IIRC. I didn't say it would be easy. I just can't imagine Rodgers or MLF will be content with another year of a clunky pass game. Then again maybe we don't know MLF well enough. Our baseline of thinking is Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb. Maybe it's simply unrealistic to build that, especially if FA needs to be used.

Edit: Giving Anderson Bulaga's 10m and drafting an OT at #30, w/ Veldheer as insurance seems workable and more bang for the buck IMO. Someone mock that !

Edited by cannondale

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Trades are another option. Gute tried to trade for Anderson, so I'm guessing there's some smoldering embers there. Who'd a thunk ZSmith would emerge like he did, so maybe there are WRs along the same vein out there. The only other option is drafting a guy that you are confident can step in Day One of camp. Jennings was able to do that IIRC. I didn't say it would be easy. I just can't imagine Rodgers or MLF will be content with another year of a clunky pass game. Then again maybe we don't know MLF well enough. Our baseline of thinking is Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb. Maybe it's simply unrealistic to build that

Who are the trade targets?

Genuine #1 or #2 guys on non contending teams, AJ Green doesn't seem to want to go anywhere, Larry Fitzgerald seems committed to retiring a cardinal. Keenan Allen if Phillip Rivers retires could be an option, but he's likely a one-year rental. Are we excited about Kenny Golladay if Detroit is even willing to pick up the phone? Odell Beckham seems unlikely. Am I missing somebody?

Who in this class are you confident, even 60% is going to come out and start immediately? Jeudy and Lamb? Maybe you could talk me into one or two other guys? I just think drastic improvements to the WR position is unlikely to happen. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Generally you don't give up on a player after his second year. 

General rule is that you don't give up on anybody while they're cheap and the roster is at 90 and there's still some upside there.  But with WRs a lot of time there are "nagging injuries that don't get you on the injury list but hamper one's ability to play" that teams know about but the fans/media don't.  So if the Packers are treating MVS very differently from his public perception, that might have something to do with it.

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Genuine #1 or #2 guys on non contending teams, AJ Green doesn't seem to want to go anywhere, Larry Fitzgerald seems committed to retiring a cardinal. Keenan Allen if Phillip Rivers retires could be an option, but he's likely a one-year rental. Are we excited about Kenny Golladay if Detroit is even willing to pick up the phone? Odell Beckham seems unlikely. Am I missing somebody?

Who in this class are you confident, even 60% is going to come out and start immediately? Jeudy and Lamb? Maybe you could talk me into one or two other guys? I just think drastic improvements to the WR position is unlikely to happen. 

Other than Anderson, I don't have the answer, but there are legs there. That's the important part. Maybe Gute & Co have options we don't know about. As I edited, give Anderson Bulaga's 10m/per, draft an OT at #30 with Veldheer as insurance, and that's a win win without any financial difficulty whatsoever.  I'm not smart enough to give a sure thing in the draft, but I'm sure no one thought Jennings was a sure thing either, so there is hope.

Edited by cannondale

12 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Other than Anderson, I don't have the answer, but there are legs there. That's the important part. Maybe Gute & Co have options we don't know about. As I edited, give Anderson Bulaga's 10m/per, draft an OT at #30 with Veldheer as insurance, and that's a win win without financial difficulty. I'm not smart enough to give a sure thing in the draft, but I'm sure no one thought Jennings was a sure thing either, so there is hope.

So we have a 50% chance of getting a complete bust at RT in order to pay a dude 8 digits that's never cracked 1000 yards in a season?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So we have a 50% chance of getting a complete bust at RT in order to pay a dude 8 digits that's never cracked 1000 yards in a season?

Risk reward isn't easy. ZSmith was risky. Paying Bulaga 8 digits with tons of guaranteed money on a 4 year deal he never finishes (99%) is far more risk IMO. Gonna need that rookie OT sooner or later anyway. Wait too long and we'll need 2 of them. I'll take my chances that Anderson can become the WR version of ZSmith vs Bulaga falling into the fountain of youth.

1. Rookie OT at #30 on a 5 year cheap deal / Robbie Anderson

2. Bulaga who is gonna get money he never plays for and may implode at any time / Rookie WR

3. Build a top 5 defense and watch ugly offense and Jones probably walks

Choose

Edited by cannondale

15 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Risk reward isn't easy. ZSmith was risky. Paying Bulaga 8 digits with tons of guaranteed money on a 4 year deal he never finishes (99%) is far more risk IMO. Gonna need that rookie OT sooner or later anyway. Wait too long and we'll need 2 of them.

2. Bulaga who is gonna get money he never plays for and may implode at any time / Rookie WR

Choose

Top 5 defense and a league average offense and letting the running back walk, every single time. 

30 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Top 5 defense and a league average offense and letting the running back walk, every single time. 

That's boring. Go away :D

But seriously, signing Rodgers, hiring MLF, and then telling Pettine to go win us a Super Bowl seems backwards to me, and unlikely

Edited by cannondale

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are we going to ignore the fact that the Jets have had arguably a bottom five worst QB production over the last two seasons?  It's no coincidence that Robby Anderson's best season came with Josh McCown as their starting QB.  He was off a 63 reception, 941 receiving yards, and 7 TD (on 114 targets) season.  That's pretty good numbers.  The catch rate is a bit of a red flag.

48 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are we going to ignore the fact that the Jets have had arguably a bottom five worst QB production over the last two seasons?  It's no coincidence that Robby Anderson's best season came with Josh McCown as their starting QB.  He was off a 63 reception, 941 receiving yards, and 7 TD (on 114 targets) season.  That's pretty good numbers.  The catch rate is a bit of a red flag.

It's really the perfect scenario. Gute wasn't going to trade for him just to let him walk. Now you save the draft capital and write the check, assuming a bidding war doesn't break out. Many teams will be eyeing the draft for WR, so hopefully the market is lukewarm. Buying low on this guy I think. Best of all, the majority of his learning and rookie stumbles are behind him. Have him follow DaVante around and a big piece of the offensive puzzle would be in place. Bonus - Lazard, MVS and ESB can fight it out for #3 and #4 where they can better make some noise. Talk about a domino effect

19 hours ago, cannondale said:

Risk reward isn't easy. ZSmith was risky. Paying Bulaga 8 digits with tons of guaranteed money on a 4 year deal he never finishes (99%) is far more risk IMO. Gonna need that rookie OT sooner or later anyway. Wait too long and we'll need 2 of them. I'll take my chances that Anderson can become the WR version of ZSmith vs Bulaga falling into the fountain of youth.

Choose

Let's hope Veldheer decides to play one more season and with us.  Otherwise when Bulaga follows the money we'll have a rookie RT there.

20 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There are not a lot..... I'm looking at top cap hits and teams that may need relief. 

Only candidates I can see are:

• Corey Davis (Titans have a ton of FAs and AJ Brown and Humphries I think are clearly ahead) dead money $4m, saves $4m. Probably not realistic
  • Marquise Goodwin (49ers tight on cap) $1.25m dead, saves $3.6m

I want to say Robert Woods, but with the Cooks situation I don't see them letting him go. He would save $5.8m. Cooks unfortunately can't be cut/traded this year because he saves nothing.