Build Aaron Rodgers' Ideal Pass Catching Corps

incognito_man

On 1/20/2020 at 6:00 PM, Gypsy1027 said:

If you accept the fact that I am a total novice at this stuff, I have a name for each of the first four rounds. Each of these wide receivers offer something special that fits with my understanding of Packer needs and requirements. In Round One, especially if I can trade back just a bit, I like Justin Jefferson of LSU. He's 6'3", 192, so he has size, and he's fast enough. His special quality to me is that he has played all three positions including the slot. That versatility requirement for the Packers doesn't get talked about enough IMO. Round Two I like K.J. Hill, Ohio State. 6'0" and 200, so could be a Randall Cobb. He is a shifty, reliable and smart player. Round Three I like Chase Claypool, 6'4", 227, from Notre Dame. Yes, he's tall like Gutey likes, but he is also fast, as in 4.46. For a big, powerful man, that speed is special. And Round Four I like Donovan Peoples-Jones, 6-2, 208, Michigan. Tremendous speed at 4.39. Heck, just let him run jet sweeps and reverses. Plenty of other receivers, plenty of other sizes and skills, but these are the guys that in my mind could fit what Incognito Man is talking about.

If you're fine taking him at 32 you're fine taking him at 30.

On 28/01/2020 at 3:25 PM, Pugger said:

If a rookie doesn't get driven off his route and is where Rodgers expects him to be AR will throw him the ball.

This ..

The whole Rodgers doesn't like rookies thing is nonsense. He doesn't like throwing to receivers who aren't very good which has been a bit of a problem last season as most of them weren't very good. I don't have any issues with fixing the receivers in the draft instead of free agency - double dipping relatively early sounds good to me. And spend the FA money on the defence. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

This ..

The whole Rodgers doesn't like rookies thing is nonsense. He doesn't like throwing to receivers who aren't very good which has been a bit of a problem last season as most of them weren't very good. I don't have any issues with fixing the receivers in the draft instead of free agency - double dipping relatively early sounds good to me. And spend the FA money on the defence. 

As a QB, you don't get to look at an open receiver and not throw them the ball because you don't have faith in them. That's how you kill drives. As we saw a lot this year.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

How would everyone feel if we picked up a Hunter Henry/ Austin Hooper and drafted a WR in the 2-4 range?

No thank you.

We invested in Jace to be that kind of tight end.  Let's give him playing time versus spending more big money on a tight end.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

As a QB, you don't get to look at an open receiver and not throw them the ball because you don't have faith in them. That's how you kill drives. As we saw a lot this year.

Exactly. You throw to the open guy. If the receiver ****s it up beyond that, it's on them. If the QB doesn't even throw it to the open guy, it's on the QB. That's literally his job.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Once more you have missed the point. I'm not saying its OK to ignore open guys, I'm saying 'Rodgers wont throw to rookies' is not a reason to draft receivers because its simply not true. 

Re the whole ignoring open guys thing.  There's a lot in play here. Yes Rodgers does put to much emphasis on finding 'his guys' which he needs to sort out. But its important to remember in a game you have a few seconds to look and make a decision, you can't press pause and scan the pitch, you don't know what he can see and is ignoring especially if receivers aren't where he's expecting. Look I get it, he has run over your cat or something so in your head so you think he is responsible for anything that went wrong with the Packers,  world poverty, the crisis in China and Boris Johnson getting elected PM in England.  But in the real world, he's an intelligent guy and isn't actively trying to lose believe it or not. 

There's a lot of stuff that needs working on and sorting out to sort the passing game. Gute needs to do his bit and sort out a receiving group that has been shockingly neglected and Rodgers needs to do his bit, trust the guys come in and build up some chemistry with the group as a whole.

2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Once more you have missed the point. I'm not saying its OK to ignore open guys, I'm saying 'Rodgers wont throw to rookies' is not a reason to draft receivers because its simply not true. 

Re the whole ignoring open guys thing.  There's a lot in play here. Yes Rodgers does put to much emphasis on finding 'his guys' which he needs to sort out. But its important to remember in a game you have a few seconds to look and make a decision, you can't press pause and scan the pitch, you don't know what he can see and is ignoring especially if receivers aren't where he's expecting. Look I get it, he has run over your cat or something so in your head so you think he is responsible for anything that went wrong with the Packers,  world poverty, the crisis in China and Boris Johnson getting elected PM in England.  But in the real world, he's an intelligent guy and isn't actively trying to lose believe it or not. 

There's a lot of stuff that needs working on and sorting out to sort the passing game. Gute needs to do his bit and sort out a receiving group that has been shockingly neglected and Rodgers needs to do his bit, trust the guys come in and build up some chemistry with the group as a whole.

Did you watch the playoff game against the 49ers? 

He single handedly strangled our offense by playing like a guy who didn't belong on an NFL field. Missed reads. Bad throws. A fumbled snap. Dude was a frickin disaster. This was not in the receivers. 

There needs to be an acknowledgement that there's a very real possibility that he's putting a ceiling on this offense, a ceiling that may very well be too low to win a Superbowl without a truly elite defense.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how the combine shakes out the WR class...then reading the write ups.  Rodgers likes guys with high football IQ.  Find that receiver who loves football, who studies football and I think Rodgers will be a fan.  

The write ups have started going up. Was going back through Bryce Hall and they had his done. Draft season is here and im getting goose bumps.

Nerd alert.

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Did you watch the playoff game against the 49ers? 

He single handedly strangled our offense by playing like a guy who didn't belong on an NFL field. Missed reads. Bad throws. A fumbled snap. Dude was a frickin disaster. This was not in the receivers. 

There needs to be an acknowledgement that there's a very real possibility that he's putting a ceiling on this offense, a ceiling that may very well be too low to win a Superbowl without a truly elite defense.

Not this again.

Yes, he had a very bad game. Everybody in the team had a bad game. The run defence made it impossible to win regardless of the QB. Pretty much everyone messed things up all game. Even the Punter was shanking and the Returner muffing. Unless you are going to fire all 53 and the entire staff get over it and move on with your life. 

2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Not this again.

Yes, he had a very bad game. Everybody in the team had a bad game. The run defence made it impossible to win regardless of the QB. Pretty much everyone messed things up all game. Even the Punter was shanking and the Returner muffing. Unless you are going to fire all 53 and the entire staff get over it and move on with your life. 

This is an oversimplification and an attempt to cover for Rodgers. Clark, P. Smith, Tramon, Alexander, King, and even Z and Martinez were just fine on defense. Lancaster, Lowry, Goodson, Savage, and Amos were all bad, but Pettine was the worst piece in the run defense. Coaching killed the run defense.

Bulaga, Linsley, Bakhtiari, Adams, even Graham, and Jones were fine. Lewis did Lewis things. Each of the Guards allowed a sack, but even they weren't disastrous snap to snap. Rodgers killed the offense. 

Here's my problem with blaming the WRs for a lot of these issues:

H5ySdIy.gif

Here's this play. Doesn't look like anything. Looks like a standard short out route that goes for no yards. But it's got yardage potential if it's executed correctly, and by that I mean if the ball comes out on time. This ball is supposed to come out at the same time as the break in the route.

U7GQTB8.png

Here's the snap. Rodgers has just gotten the ball and is looking at Allison and Allison's DB.

H5jceLG.png

Here's the shot of Allison a few steps after his break. Dude is wide open. Rodgers hasn't even started his throwing motion yet. 

ruSKTJw.png

Here's the exact half second that the ball comes out of Rodgers' hand. At this point, this route has basically turned into a bubble screen with Allison not having any momentum to catch and run. 

ekNepew.png

The slant route has literally turned into Allison turned all the way around facing Rodgers and waiting for a ball to arrive to him. It's turned into a race of who's going to get to Allison first, the ball or the DB. The ball wins, but not by enough for Allison to make any kind of move.

Geronimo Allison has been with this team for 4 years. There's nothing to be said about trust, or about a mind-meld, or about anything about that. This is Rodgers and his overly cautious bad habits in the regular season coming back to bite him. He only releases when he's 100% sure that Allison is open, and it kills any YAC options. 

There were 6 killed drives in the first half of the game against the 49ers. The most ardent Rodgers supporters do not have an answer for 4 of them:

1. The quick snap checkdown to Williams on 3rd and 3 when he didn't even bother to read the LB, much less hold him on Graham who was wide open.

d34it6O.gif

2. The no-throw to Jones on the slant route on 3rd and 7 where he was open and Rodgers stared at him and didn't throw it.

okv4crm.gif

3. The fumbled snap.

Didn't bother with a video.

4. The check down on 1st down to Williams when Graham was open on the skinny post. Not throwing the ball away on a busted screen pass, causing an illegal man downfield penalty on 2nd down. Leading to our HC calling for a draw on 3rd and 11 on our own 24 while down 27-0 in a playoff game. 

kKXE9gm.gif

oryZRlI.gif

Then you have two that are questionable.

The 49ers show their hand on a blitz. The protection call happens. We have 6 blockers going up against 6 49ers rushers. Turners blows this protection pickup. But there's no adjustment made to check out of this and get something easy. There's no reason Kumerow couldn't have been altered into an easy first down. Hell, there probably wasn't even a need to change the call. He could have just thrown to Kumerow. 

Instead, he makes the decision that he's going Adams vs. Sherman up top. The problem is that it's going to take Adams 3 seconds to eat up Sherman's massive cushion while the line is fighting 6 1v1 battles. Somebody loses and that's Turner. A veteran QB should know who he's playing against. Asking 6 guys to hold up in 1v1 matchups against that elite front for 4 seconds is just an overly aggressive call when you've got a free first down if you want it.

CsbcS8l.gif

I don't know whether Allison ran the right route here. I've seen the argument made that he's supposed to sit down in the gap that exists here and that's what Rodgers throws to. I don't think that's right with Lazard running the curl and not the vertical route. The two receivers ran a fairly standard concept, and Rodgers threw a different concept (or missed the throw) that's also fairly standard. I tent to lean against Rodgers here because both receivers ran the same concept.  If Lazard had also gone vertical, I would put this on Allison, but Lazard settled. I think Rodgers just made a bad throw here.

TJNYFPj.gif

• Like 1