Consensus Scouting Report - Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

AlNFL19

Joe Burrow Consensus Scouting Report  

21 members have voted

1. 1. In which of the following traits do you think Joe Burrow is EXCELLENT?

• Decision Making
    • Accuracy
    • Arm Strength
    • Pocket Awareness
    • Release Quickness
    • Leadership / Intangibles
    • Mobility
    • Mechanics
  2. 2. In which of the following traits do you think Joe Burrow is AVERAGE?

• Decision Making
    • Accuracy
    • Arm Strength
    • Pocket Awareness
    • Release Quickness
    • Mobility
    • Mechanics
  3. 3. In which of the following traits do you think Joe Burrow is POOR?

• Decision Making
    • Accuracy
    • Arm Strength
    • Pocket Awareness
    • Release Quickness
    • Mobility
    • Mechanics

Joe Burrow is a solid college athlete. In the NFL, he will be a plus athlete at the position, but not a "good" one. That's not a knock, but rather, if you look at the tiers for athleticism:

ELITE:

Jackson

Watson

Kyler Murray

(Formerly Cam/still if healthy)

REALLY Good:

Wilson

Allen

Marcus Mariota

Tyrod Taylor

Good:

Mahomes

Dak

Rodgers

Average/Above Average/were athletic in college:

Baker Mayfield

Joe Burrow

Tua

Andy Dalton

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

@MWil23 I suggest you watch more of Burrow because he's certainly more athletic than the group you have him listed in. 

Respectfully, I've seen him all the way back to HS (I coach HS Football here in Ohio). He's definitely a plus athlete. He's not going to be NFL athletic. He'll be great at extending the play/throwing on the run, and navigating the pocket, but he's not going to outrun EDGE defenders at the next level IMO.

Just now, MWil23 said:

He'll be great at extending the play/throwing on the run, and navigating the pocket, 

Are you talking about athleticism or mobility because they're intertwined but I don't necessarily think they're the same thing. Burrow has great mobility, you said it yourself, he's great at evading the rush, working outside the pocket, extending the play etc.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

he's not going to outrun EDGE defenders at the next level IMO.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I would consider Burrow a plus athlete at the position. I've seen enough of him running around the SEC to believe it will translate to the next level. I've never seen Mayfield of Dalton move like this (the video below). This isn't the cut up of an average athlete at the QB position:

Are you talking about athleticism or mobility because they're intertwined but I don't necessarily think they're the same thing. Burrow has great mobility, you said it yourself, he's great at evading the rush, working outside the pocket, extending the play etc.

I consider athleticism separate in terms of being a running threat of some kind, open field ability to make defenders miss, the ability to get to the edge consistently to get a 1st down, etc. Pocket mobility and throwing on the run I'm saying completely separate.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I would consider Burrow a plus athlete at the position. I've seen enough of him running around the SEC to believe it will translate to the next level. I've never seen Mayfield of Dalton move like this (the video below). This isn't the cut up of an average athlete at the QB position:

I mean, I said he's a "plus athlete". He's in the average/above average category. He's not going to be the running threat in the NFL or make defenses account for him the way that he was in college.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Absolutely. To be fair, I'll be SHOCKED if he runs a sub 4.6 forty at the combine, and surprised if it's a sub 4.65. That's not a knock, that just means he's not going to have "great" positional athleticism.

I'm a HUGE Joe Burrow fan. Go see what I marked "excellent" on (4-5 things) and "average" on (arm strength and athleticism) and "poor" on (nothing).

That said, I don't see a "WOW" athlete or even a "they need to account for him with a LB in man coverage" athlete.