Raheem Mostert

Manny/Patrick

11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Breida has been really good as well........Well, he was until he started fumbling vs ATL and then after that he's been in the dog house.

Definitely better than Coleman. Mostert is a natural in this system. Dude just glides out there and is super explosive. 

Shanny will lose Breida this offseason and just get another UDFA and plug him right in. 

Breida will be a cheap to retain because he's a restricted FA. I don't think it's a given he'll be let go.

18 hours ago, Hukos said:

This but unironically.

To elaborate: The running game matters a lot. Running backs don't. Take a UDFA, run him through his rookie contract, get another UDFA, etc. Save that money on getting those backs some guards and centers to block for him. If you're going to pay a RB, you better basically be a WR playing RB, as well as being a world-class blocker on passing situations.

If you have a Shanahan or Gary Kubiak, sure, HBs don't matter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If you have a Shanahan or Gary Kubiak, sure, HBs don't matter.

Pray tell, what is a RB going to do when he is hit in the backfield every time he gets the football?

Running back is also the only position in football that gets eliminated by the game script. If you get down 21-0, your RB is going to sit on the bench unless he can also run routes and double as a slot WR.

Yes, Kyle's blocking scheme enables him to replace RBs as he sees fit. It's also incredibly difficult to run the ball consistently and with the kind of success Kyle has, if you don't have a similar blocking scheme. If you don't have that kind of blocking scheme, you straight up just can't run the ball period and instead have to throw it 60 times a game. This isn't the 1950's where you just get a big physical RB and have him fall forward up the gut for 3 yards every play. If you want to run the ball, you've got to scheme running lanes open - straight up HB dive ad nausuem isn't going to cut it. There's just no way for a RB to be that good that they can consistently break tackles for that to be an effective strategy.

And I know someone is going to bring up Derrick Henry even though Tennesse's run blocking is damn good and constantly gets him holes to run through.

11 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I imagine like his Daddy, Shanny Jr. will be swapping out RB's on a yearly basis like most do Underwear.

They are all interchangeable in that system, let be real.

It's funny because first draft he traded up for Joe Williams, then he signed McKinnon to a big deal and then this offseason we had a big offer to Bell. While this entire time his two best backs have been Mostert and Breida, one who was a journeymen practice squad player and the other that was UDFA. I think he will change his approach going forward and won't spend big money in free agency on backs or draft one before the last few rounds of the draft. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hukos said:

Pray tell, what is a RB going to do when he is hit in the backfield every time he gets the football?

Running back is also the only position in football that gets eliminated by the game script. If you get down 21-0, your RB is going to sit on the bench unless he can also run routes and double as a slot WR.

Yes, Kyle's blocking scheme enables him to replace RBs as he sees fit. It's also incredibly difficult to run the ball consistently and with the kind of success Kyle has, if you don't have a similar blocking scheme. If you don't have that kind of blocking scheme, you straight up just can't run the ball period and instead have to throw it 60 times a game. This isn't the 1950's where you just get a big physical RB and have him fall forward up the gut for 3 yards every play. If you want to run the ball, you've got to scheme running lanes open - straight up HB dive ad nausuem isn't going to cut it. There's just no way for a RB to be that good that they can consistently break tackles for that to be an effective strategy.

And I know someone is going to bring up Derrick Henry even though Tennesse's run blocking is damn good and constantly gets him holes to run through.

Your QB isn't going to fare any better if he gets hit every time he drops back to pass.

If you have a HB who can't pass block or catch the football, sure, don't pay him.

A QB can at least run around and throw short passes. A RB who gets hit in the backfield is basically toast.

Think of it this way as a function - your output is how successful your running game is. What are the inputs? Well, they are your defense (you're not running the ball if you're behind), your offensive line, and the game script (if you're passing the ball successfully, defenses can't just load the box with defenders without getting toasted). The RB's natural talent is at most, 1-2% of the total input of what accounts for a successful running game. This is why I keep saying RBs don't matter, even in a scheme that's not a Shanahan scheme.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's funny because first draft he traded up for Joe Williams, then he signed McKinnon to a big deal and then this offseason we had a big offer to Bell. While this entire time his two best backs have been Mostert and Breida, one who was a journeymen practice squad player and the other that was UDFA. I think he will change his approach going forward and won't spend big money in free agency on backs or draft one before the last few rounds of the draft. 

Papa Shanahan had to slap son upside the head. "Bro, just get an UDFA like I did all those years". 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The first part of this is exactly right. We've actually spent a fair amount of capital on the position. 

I have a feeling we draft someone (relatively) high this year. 4 years on a rookie deal makes perfect sense for our current window. or that we find a RB who can catch passes. I like having a stable of backs for injuries sake, but I think it's time to add a premier talent there. I think Kyle does value the position more than people think 

This is pending a trade down out of round 1 to get more picks. Right now we have no 2nd 3rd or 4th