Bills Mock Draft 1.0

jmillzz21

1) Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado

Bills need a stud outside. In that true X position, Laviska gives us that. Laviska Shenault checks nearly every box you'd want from a high-end wide receiver prospect entering the NFL — minus production. Shenault's physical ability is jaw dropping and should transcend a dysfunctional offense at Colorado. Shenault possesses the explosiveness, physicality, short area quickness, hands and linear speed to become a high volume alpha receiver at the NFL level. He's capable of defeating press on the boundary and should produce immediately.

2) Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota

I think this front office has done a great job of looking at the now need and future need. With Poyer and Hyde contracts coming up in the next year or two, and us probably only hanging on to one of them. I see us taking a guy to make us deeper in the back end and help on special teams. Great front offices aren’t afraid to draft at a non need position. The word that comes to mind when you watch Winfield play is "playmaker." Some defensive backs just try to do their job in terms of batting away passes. Winfield is always looking for his chance to take the ball away, and after that, his immediate though is how he can bring it back for a touchdown. Not every defensive back is wired like that, but Winfield's special teams punt return background lends to that engrained mentality. Winfield has the athleticism to play in both single high and even man coverage roles. His coverage potential is very high because of how well he sees the field, how fast he can break on the ball and how good his ball skills are. He is also a reliable tackler in run support.

3) Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU

Add Moss into a great young talent pool of Dawson Knox and Tommy Sweeney, and we could could be looking at one of the best TE groups in the league. Perfect replacement for Lee Smith. Thaddeus Moss projects as a traditional in-line tight end prospect who will have an opportunity to earn a starting role at the NFL level. The son of legendary receiver Randy Moss, Thaddeus is currently a more effective blocker and wins on the ground game and in pass pro thanks to a dense frame and powerful punches. Not the most explosive athlete, it is difficult to envision a dynamic role in the passing game — but Moss can win against underneath zones and help move the sticks. 

4) Zack Moss, RB, Utah

A downhill no nonsense runner to replace Gore. Logging three consecutive seasons of over 1,000 rushing yards, at least 5.5 yards per carry and double-digit touchdowns, Moss has been a consistently productive college runner. While his near 800 career touches at Utah are something to be mindful of, the skill set he showcased along the way is an exciting one. In terms of vision, contact balance, power, competitive toughness and footwork, Moss checks the boxes. He isn’t the most twitched up guy in space and he doesn’t have home run speed. With that said, his hands and ability to block makes him a three-down threat. Moss has immediate starter upside in any scheme, but he projects most favorably to a zone scheme.

5) Shaquille Quarterman, LB, Miami

Shaq Quarterman is old school! This is a violent hitter in the middle who thrives in run defending and blitzing as a forward playing linebacker who imposes his will on the opposition. Terrific finisher as a tackler and tremendous pop in his pads. His pass coverage contributions will be minimal due to his lack of range, but teams in need of some *THUD* in run support would be wise to scoop him up. Savvy to help mask his physical restrictions but at his core he's an early down LB. 

5) Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

I could see us doubling down on WR help. A steady producer for Baylor since 2017, Mims offers intriguing potential as an X or Z receiver in the NFL. For a team searching for physicality, catch radius and ball skills to round out its receiver corps, Mims is an ideal target. With that said, there is room for Mims to grow as a route runner and develop overall consistency with his technique. His natural athleticism provides optimism that he can develop. If he reaches his potential, Mims has the upside to start and be a highly productive weapon for an NFL offense. 

6) Chase Lucas, CB, Arizona State

Depth in back end, a highly gifted prospect that hasn’t fully put it together yet the McDermott would love to get his hands on, also in the mean time can greatly help on special teams. Although his instincts would serve him well in the slot, he’s probably best suited outside. He will be a vice/gunner on 4th down and projects as a dynamic, game altering kick returner. Getting stronger and more explosive, particularly in his lower body will only highlight his natural physical gifts. The arrow is pointing up on this player as he has not played the cornerback position very long. He’s still a bit raw and can improve and refine his technique. He relies mostly on athleticism, competitiveness and instincts and his best football is undoubtedly ahead of him. Teams that implore a press scheme may value this player more. Defensively, this player reminds me of Casey Heyward with his excellent instincts, ball skills, size, competitiveness, and lack of elite speed. However, Chase is a much better overall athlete and has more value in the kicking game. 

6) Jonathan Garvin, Edge, Miami

IMPRESSIVE build -- he already looks like an NFL pro. He carries weight well, doesn't appear to be maxed out or taxing himself with the weight he is carrying either. He shows necessary get off to win effectively off the edge and has plenty of developmental upside to continue to grow as a pass rusher and generate more consistent pressure off the edge. He as a big presence in the run game (17 TFL) thanks to his athleticism and quickness in short spaces. Really like where he can go from here with some basic technique additions to his hands. He needs to get much more consistent in effort setting up offensive tackles and creating room to work. He's most consistent pressing the outside shoulder and looking to rip through contact and work outside. There are times in which he gets stuck on blocks and relies on ball carrier cuts to get involved in the play again, he's too complacent to lock out and hold ground instead of reading the block and proactively working into needed real estate. If he can take the next step with his hands he's in line for a monster year. 

6) Calvin Throckmorten, OL, Oregon

Plays with good technique on the edge and the interior. Does a good job keeping his hands inside. Also does a good job getting his second step in the ground in his “Set”. He has true positional flex and shows the intelligence to play different positions up front. Also displays good instincts to anticipate stunts and games. Has sufficient redirect agility when cross faced. Has a good short set anchor out of a two point stance. Gets sufficient inline vertical push in the run game and shows sufficient pop in his hands. He is a waist bender that needs to improve his flexibility. He plays high and lacks good balance. He is on the ground a lot for a player with the type of upside that he has. While I believe his skill set is probably best suited on the interior, he may not bend well enough (mixed with his good height) to win the leverage battle inside. He struggles to get out of his stance and get to cut off. He doesn’t play with good length on the perimeter. He struggles to engage at the second level in the run game.

Align this Mock with a good free agency haul of a Stud DE(Ngakoue), vet LB (Klein) to replace Zo and more competition on the OL and CB. I think we are ready to go places.😁

All depends on our FA moves and who's available at 22, but assuming we sign a DE in FA in terms of need WR in round 1 is the way to go. Although I wouldn't be against BPA if someone like Epenesa / Kinlaw is still on the board. WR is so deep that you easily can get a good one in R2. 

We should definitely take 2 WR's this draft, and I would like to take Pittman jr with our 3th/4th round pick if he's still on the board. Guy is a machine and a big body receiver.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:26 AM, jmillzz21 said:

1) Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado

WR's this year are so much like ice cream. A thousands different flavours. I for one do not have a preference and trust our brain trust when they do select one (or more). Good pick.

2) Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota

Having drafted Neal in 2018 and Johnson in 2019 I would be surprised if we took a S this early.

3) Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU

I am all for adding play makers to the offense. I have high hopes for Knox but another weapon never hurts.

4) Zack Moss, RB, Utah

Again, love the thought process of adding more play makers to the O. I could see us going RB as high as round 2. 

5) Shaquille Quarterman, LB, Miami

I like the position just not the player. We value coverage and versatility. 

5) Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

I have zero issues doubling down at the WR position.

6) Chase Lucas, CB, Arizona State

I am of the belief that a CB should be drafted every year so I am good with this. 

6) Jonathan Garvin, Edge, Miami

If we do add a stud DE in free agency I am good with waiting for an Edge player. But I personally would take one by round 3 at the latest.

6) Calvin Throckmorten, OL, Oregon

OL depth is always a need. I like it.

All in all I would give the draft a B +. You added play makers to the offense and filled depth elsewhere. But I don't see us going S that early or taking a old school LB. I also would prefer to add an EDGE player much early and that prevents this draft from getting an A from me.

7 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Having drafted Neal in 2018 and Johnson in 2019 I would be surprised if we took a S this early.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised, but I do doubt we do. I feel like Neal and Johnson are more viewed for their special teams than they would as replacements for Hyde/Poyer down the road. Adding Winfield could bring the possibility of have 3 safeties on the field at once since he is actually pretty good at man coverage. He's just injury prone and considered "undersized" which goes against him. I don't see us going after him this early, or the position for that matter, due to other areas we need to focus on more but it would be a little interesting.

I would prefer LSU LB Queen in the 2nd round over bringing in Klein. A lot of people have talked about him coming to McDermott/Beane because of past history but when he left the Panthers the Bills did not even look at him. I think it will be the same this time, as he will land a decent contract, which can extend a guy like Poyer. Neal has proven that he is a capable Nickle Corner/Safety when needed as he replaced Turon at times. 

You pay Klein, you have to remember Milano is a FA after the year so you are paying 2 LBs. With Edmunds needing to be paid in 2 years. Drafting a LB to replace ZO may make the most financial sense while retaining your guys over paying FA. Beane seems to be making a foundation of drafting, retaining, and paying his own guys over bringing guys from outside. If Milano was drafted by old regime like Shaq then I can understand them willing to move on but these guys like Poyer, Hyde, Tre, and Milano are all McDermotts guys so keeping them would be a priority over paying one to come in.

Edited by soflbillsfan