I know the Bengals will take Burrow, but...

DoleINGout

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I get that Chase Young may be the better overall player, but QB positional value matters that much more.

I also get that Burrow is only average athletically speaking - but Brissett is a pretty horrible comp.   Brissett's biggest flaws are his slow read progression and poor placement.   He also profiles as less mobile than Burrow, even though his straight 40 isn't OL-level.    Burrow's biggest assets are his anticipation and placement, and his quick read decisions, and ability to extend the pocket with mobility.    

The other obvious problem with this call....you can only move down to 1.2 to guarantee you get Chase Young.   For better or worse, WAS is committed to Haskins.

Burrow is going to test a lot better athletically than you expect. The weakest aspect of his scouting profile is arm strength, and even that is going to be a tick above average.

40 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Burrow is going to test a lot better athletically than you expect. The weakest aspect of his scouting profile is arm strength, and even that is going to be a tick above average.

I think he may test in 4.7 - 4.8 range 40 wise, so that’s fair - but I don’t know that he will do any  other drill other than passing.  He really doesn’t need to TBH. Post - Watson NFL scouting has been better at realizing the skills matter a lot more.  

Edited by Broncofan

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I think he may test in 4.7 - 4.8 range 40 wise, so that’s fair - but I don’t know that he will do any  other drill other than passing.  He really doesn’t need to TBH. Post - Watson NFL scouting has been better at realizing the skills matter a lot more.  

I'm curious what all he will do at the combine.  He's a competitor, so I wouldn't be shocked if he just did the combine as normal, but like you said, he doesn't really need to as the already consensus top pick in the draft.  I wouldn't be shocked if Burrow can in under 4.70, but it's his short area quickness drills where he would really shine athletically.

Fun fact: Chase Young is also merely a prospect, with the inherent bust potential that comes along with it.

All of these hypothetical often ignore that context. While Chase is one of the best prospects we've seen in a long time at the position,  its no guarantee that he's going to be a transcendent player. He could be elite but not quite transcendent (ala Myles Garrett right now or Peppers back in the day *dodges stones*). He could be good but not great, like Clowney. He could injured/underwhelming like Fowler (not the same caliber of prospect to be fair) or a flat bust like Gholston. Even the true transcendent talents like Watt and Donald haven't carried their teams beyond their QB play. The Chase Young gambit works only if he's a boom prospect (which is likely but not guaranteed), Burrow is underwhelming and if the Bengals are able to use the additional draft capital/other avenues to get franchise/above the Dalton line QB.

4 hours ago, tom cody said:

Chase Young may end up being better than Burrow but if I'm the Bengals I stay at #1 and take Burrow.

Agreed.  A borderline top-10 QB is more valuable than Nick Bosa, Chandler Jones, Von Miller types.  This is an easy one for Cincy. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

They would be wise to trade out of the spot and get Chase Young. Joe Burrow is a glorified Jacoby Brissett to me. Better? Potentially, but Young is the better value.

Brissett threw 46 touchdowns in four years..

Burrow threw for 60 in one season.

• Like 2